Chainless bikes

warcricket

Like a Jerk
how do you tension it? not like a chain where links can be added or removed... do you have to solely rely on the sliding drop outs?

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
where the idea and concept are cool, i still like chains better. they speak of it being ultra quiet. last time i checked ive never been like "damn my bike is so loud i cant hear anything else.". ill stick with my chain.:D

sixseven

where the idea and concept are cool, i still like chains better. they speak of it being ultra quiet. last time i checked ive never been like "damn my bike is so loud i cant hear anything else.". ill stick with my chain.:D

:rofl:^^^THAT IS SOME FUNNY SHIT^^^:rofl:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I don't think belt drive is ready for prime time yet but it has potential. Being quiet isn't too much of a concern for me either. I'm mostly interested in reducing weight and rotating mass.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
other than the sound of tires on asphalt, my fixie makes absolutely no noise what so ever. chains don't make noise, gears and the resulting chain slap do.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think belt drive is ready for prime time yet but it has potential. Being quiet isn't too much of a concern for me either. I'm mostly interested in reducing weight and rotating mass.

It will also be less efficient than a chain. While the amount lost might be minimal, a chain is the most efficient way to transmit power. Im willing to bet that the loss in efficiency would negate any gains made by the reduced weight and rotating mass

anrothar

entirely thrilled
In the research I have done belt breakage is not an issue. Slippage and the belt coming off is the issue. Also it seems like the quietness that the system offers is compromised by dry dusty conditions. Weird squeaks are not cool.

i've read on the interweb of people breaking them. i imagine them breaking as much as chains in really rocky terrain where the belt is bound to rub up against that tacky, rough, sharp edged granite.

We have all slipped/lost chains, broken chains etc...the belts on your car go for thousands of miles under huge amounts of torque and heat and don't fail that often.

in my experience, chains on ss bikes don't break or slip often if ever. this is a ss system, so you've gotta compare apples to apples.

Motorcycles are mostly belt drive these days. Fixing a chain is a pretty simple affair...but you still end up doing it more than you would probably like to........

how many of the motorcycles with belt drives are designed for off road use? i was under the impression that nearly all motorcycles designed for off road are chain or shaft driven?

i think it's a great idea for ss road bikes, commuters and beach cruisers, but has no future in mountain biking.

THATmanMANNY

I was cleaning 3 chains yesterday and I was thinking, CHAINS SUCK!

You have to clean them, and lube them. Check them for wear. Hopefully you didn't wait too long and they destroyed your cogs/cassette and chainring. You probably spend $100+ alone just to keep your drivetrain running every year from getting a new chain to getting new cogs/cassette/chainring.

I want a belt driven SS commuter. Who makes them besides Trek and Spot? And the Treks are fugly.

Top Bottom