Chain Snap == fail

ellbiddy

I finally pieced together my road machine and took it for a spin around the block to test the brakes. I got a little too confident and the chain got caught up in one of the rings as I was out of the saddle, mashed through it snapped it, and over I went hah. First ride first fall ;) Luckily nothing got scratched besides my arms and some of the bar tape. I'll tell ya....it's more dangerous on the road than in the woods!

ellbiddy

I picked the chain up from a friend and I installed it properly turns out (after expecting the chain after) that he broke it a couple of times and when he popped it back together he damaged a few of the links and I suspect that one of those damaged links was the culprit in my mess ;)

walter

Fourth Party
this isnt the same "friend" that drove your bike into some mysterious "parking garage" on the way to 6 mile, is it?:hmmm:

ellbiddy

Nope, that friend was just trying out biking, this one is a seasoned biker ;)

Edit: I was following behind on my motorcycle when my car + bikes got thrashed no less....but speaking of which Maurice ended up buying my thrashed lowers on the fork and I picked up a snazzy new fork for the HT ;) Maybe if I let him thrash my bikes again I'll be able to pick up a new fork for the Rig ..goooo F29 ;)

THATmanMANNY

just curious why you picked a tri bike for your road frame???

Maybe a tri sometime?

I like that actually. It SEEMS it would be a very versatile ride.

I know tri and roads are different in performance but after making adjustments in the cockpit, couldn't you essentially make them fit the same? Not handle the same, just fit the same.

For myself though I'm hoping to get a cross bike and set of zipps with slicks and aero bars on the side for whenever I need them. Therefore, I can ride it all.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Maybe a tri sometime?

I like that actually. It SEEMS it would be a very versatile ride.

I know tri and roads are different in performance but after making adjustments in the cockpit, couldn't you essentially make them fit the same? Not handle the same, just fit the same.

For myself though I'm hoping to get a cross bike and set of zipps with slicks and aero bars on the side for whenever I need them. Therefore, I can ride it all.

Yes you could set the cockpit up similar but for the occasional tri, wouldn't a road bike make sense? unless you don't care about comfort, I was just wondering since it doesn't effect me whatsoever.

But a cross bike with zipps and aero bars, now THAT is crazy! You think people won't stop to help you with a flat now, wait until you ride that monster:rofl:

THATmanMANNY

yea... maybe not such a good idea hehe

But they'll just be jealous I can cross ish up between road, cross, tri, commute, & singletrack :D
How they like them apples :cool:

ellbiddy

It was supposed to be a tri/TT bike, but I hate aero bars so I ended up going with drops and a slightly larger tri frame to make up for the shorter TT and wheelbase. It actually rides really and feels really nice, obviously a bit nicer when I have the aero clips on, but it's not a bad fit. I don't really find it uncomfortable, but we'll see when I go on my first long ride.

On a side note, I still want a fixie road/cross bike as well as a DH bike and my collection will be complete.

Edit: The steering is slightly twitchier as expected btw

Last edited:

al415

Banned
....it's more dangerous on the road than in the woods!

That's for sure! We might fall more often in the woods, but it usually hurts a lot more on the road. When I first got into racing, as a schoolboy in Northern Ireland, I seemed to snap a chain a week. Worst example of which was on a concrete velodrome in Dublin during a Sunday meet. This was back when "helmets" were little strips of leather...

ellbiddy

i want a fixie cross bike with a flip/flop rear so I can go SS if I take it off the road, plus it'll handle beefier tires for commuting.

Top Bottom