Chain Skipping

Engignar

I just replaced my chain on my rig and I now have chain skip when in the middle gears of my cassette. The bike shifts fine, and does not skip when on the stand or under light power. My chain line is not perfect, as the bottom of the cage on my derailleur is pulled out a bit, although this never caused problems with the old chain.

The cassette itself is not horribly worn, and the d hanger is pretty straight, but not perfect. I know that the old chain wore and "mated" to the cassette and chain rings, maybe they wore themselves together all out of whack?

Any ideas on what could be the cause/ solution?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
yeah, maybe you need a new cassette.
I had that on my bike, skipping all over and I had to replace both CHAIN & CASSETTE, problem solved.

J-Dro

The last time this happened to me I was absolutely convinced that my cassette was not worn out. The teeth looked fine visually. But when I took a small screwdriver and touched the edge of the teeth, I could feel a small lip had formed due to wear. That lip could barely be seen but it was enough to snag the edge of my new chain and cause it to skip like crazy. I replaced the cassette and problem solved.

Even though I learned long ago that the chain and cassette should be swapped together, I thought I could get away on the cheap. Nope!

Last edited:

BiknBen

Cassette is toast. This is a classic example.

Also consider that the chainring could be worn as well. Less likely but I've had a chainring that skipped due to wear.

If you wait too long to replace the chain you will end up having to replace both the chain and the cassette. That can get expensive.

Spend some cash on a chain wear indicator or just replace the chain more often.

Engignar

New cassette it is then. When I bought the chain I spoke with a guy in the shop about replacing both at once, and he took a look at the cassette and said that I should be able to get away with just the chain for now, but I guess not. I just put a new crankset on about a month ago so it is still in great shape. I'll find out tonight if the fix works. Thanks guys.

Engignar

I went to Campmor, not to give them a bad name. They have always given me good service and advice...except for that piece of advice I suppose.

BiknBen

Let's not trash the shop too quickly. They only way you know if the cassette is worn is by trying it. Often it is just one cog of the cassette that is worn (the one you use most often).

While the wrench could have explained that better...I don't think he wronged you. If that experience prompted you to find another store, you will run out of stores before long.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I went to Campmor, not to give them a bad name. They have always given me good service and advice...except for that piece of advice I suppose.

Thats funny. Geoff has always been spot on with suggestions for me. Your cassette was probably on the edge of being worn out. As Ben said, lets not point fingers at the shop when they probably looked at you bike for 2 minutes.

Engignar

Certainly not blaming the shop for it. The conversation I had with the tech went something like him saying it does not look like you need a new one right now, but it is hard to tell by eye unless the teeth are severely worn. In fact, I went there at lunch today to pick up the new cassette.

Top Bottom