chain skipping

warcricket

Like a Jerk
my chain has been skipping and it's making me want to pull my hair out. at first i thought it was a stiff link, and as luck would have it, it was. i quickly fixed that up and thought i was set until i got back on my bike and the skipping persisted. What do i do?

M

mtbjeff

Chains wear and stretch , yours may have reached the end. When chains wear they wear out cassets and chain rings. Before you replace them make sure that your deralier is strait as well as the hanger. To do this properly you should use a tool designed for this. You might also check and see if your cables are running free. Keep in mind that I am a rider not a mechanic. You might consider profesional help at your local shop, they will probably help you out and be fair. Was that helpful?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
hmm, my chain is new and i got a new der put on about a month ago at the lbs; so, i'm thinking it might be a bent hanger.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Definitely a good bet it's the cassette and middle ring. Put the chain on the biggest front ring and smallest cassette cog and just go back and forth down the street. Leave it there and see if you skip. That combination is probably going to give you the least amount of wear on your drivetrain parts. If you're ok, but then start skipping when you shift in the more "common" gears, time for a new cassette and middle ring.

If it skips everywhere, you may just be worn everywhere.

M

mtbjeff

Once you have taken care of the problem and all is well with your drive train maintenance is key. Keep the drive train clean and lubricate it with a clean non-greasy lubricant [ I like rock and roll blue ]. Your chain will still wear from stress, but you can replace it easily at a realitively low cost [$18.00 +/-] . If you replace the chain before it wears out the cassete and rings it will save you the big bucks that those parts would cost, and at the same time give you a reliable operational drive train.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Wear may depend on how much you ride, but if you ride twice a week, you or your mechanic should put a chain checker on your chain a min of once a year. If it is a tandem or you ride daily, check 3-4 times a year, especially if you run XTR ... those cogs are $$$.

Skipping may occur with half worn cog set when mixed into new drive train. In my experience, when you build new bike even out of used parts, opt for new chain and cog set if you can.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
chains, like brakes are for suckers and girly men.
learn how to properly pump the turns and contours of the trail and you will have no need for wussy chains and brakes.
now go buy a 29" no chain single speed.
I have no idea how the SS ghestapo has not picked up on this yet. :hmmm::D
:D:D:D

If none of this advice helps check with your Local Bike Shop
or
buy a whole new bike

warcricket

Like a Jerk
chains, like brakes are for suckers and girly men.
learn how to properly pump the turns and contours of the trail and you will have no need for wussy chains and brakes.
now go buy a 29" no chain single speed.
I have no idea how the SS ghestapo has not picked up on this yet. :hmmm::D
:D:D:D

If none of this advice helps check with your Local Bike Shop
or
buy a whole new bike

you make a valid point, but there is a 29er no chain multispeed thats right in my price range; i know, i know, i'm less of a man for taking the no chain multispeed approach, but i just don't have the fortitude for the ss no chain.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
hmm, my chain is new and i got a new der put on about a month ago at the lbs; so, i'm thinking it might be a bent hanger.

Just to eliminate the obvious because it has not yet been suggested, when you installed the chain, did you make sure the chain link moved freely? I've seen many a home mechanic crank the pin in too far and get a stiff link in the chain.
Stiff link=skipping everywhere;)

-Jim.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Just to eliminate the obvious because it has not yet been suggested, when you installed the chain, did you make sure the chain link moved freely? I've seen many a home mechanic crank the pin in too far and get a stiff link in the chain.
Stiff link=skipping everywhere;)

-Jim.

yea, i checked for stiff links.

the chain only skips when i'm on my highest gear...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Highest front, or back? By highest do you mean big ring front, small cog rear? Or...or...be as specific as you can.

Top Bottom