chain ring thoughts

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was working on my bike today (after a weekend ride, i was told i should probably check the pressure in my shocks since i've NEVER done it) and was goofing around in my yard and a thought occured to me as i shifted into the big ring which i use mostly as a rock ring: who actually uses this thing? i've only occasionally used my middle ring at places like the tourne, but i'm pretty much married to the little ring. so that got me thinking: either i'm not a strong enough rider to use these other two, or i'm not in the right part of the country. in my book, they are like ear lobes. sure, they look nice when decorated and clean, but otherwise serve no function. any thoughts? :D

jake

ytc100

Are you using the little ring with all of your cogs in the rear? If so you should probably start using the middle ring more. In other words, your inner ring and smallest in the rear combo is similar to the middle ring and 3rd or 4th smallest rear cog combo (and so on). It's better to use these combinations because it keeps your chainline straighter which helps your drivetrain live longer.
In more technical places I never get near needing the largest ring. If you think abou it you're only losing 3 or 4 of the highest gear combos by removing the largest ring.
I would guess that some real strong XC guys would keep the big ring and toss the inner ring for less tech. terrain and higher speeds.
Personally I tossed my big ring last season, put on a bash ring and never looked back.

Last edited:

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There have been a handful of times that I wish I had a big ring. But I'm in the middle ring 99.99% of the time so it's no loss. I opted for a bash ring as well and so far have gotten a lot more use out of it.

TonyC

I concur with Jason and Ytc. Toss the ring and replace with bash ring and don't look back.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh my. this isn't so funny now. when i first started riding (in 1989) the guys i rode with had a saying about the granny gear, which i can't remember now, but i never used it. ever...i was ALWAYS in the middle. when i first started riding again last year, it was the same thing. i never used anything other than the middle ring. then i went for a ride with the guy from the bike shop (in splitrock) last year and he tells me that he NEVER uses anything but the little ring, so that's what i started doing. i must have mis-heard him...had to have...which is completely possible since i'm like 80% deaf in my right ear. this may actually explain a lot.

D

DANSPANK

I use the big ring for extended downhills down fire roads such as the last part of the yellow trail at Lewis Morris or on the way down from the top of Tourne or when biking to the trailhead along roads but I'm and middle and little-ring guy myself.

I consider it a personal achievement if I make it half-way up a decent hill (that bloody Tourne again) in the middle ring before switching to my mothers-mother ring.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
hey Bonefish, do you ride a heavy downhill bike? if yes, this may not apply, and good luck in any gear.

If not, you should shift up to middle or big when descending to keep chain tension. That will help keep your chain on when bumpy. I use all rings, but middle the most. I also prefer a taller gear in technical, but that may be personal.

I find that if you are happy to ride along and are not in a hurry, any gear, like your small ring may do. But if you want to try to keep up with faster riders, you may have to use your middle or big rings to up the pace. You will get stronger by doing so, but that may not be your goal.

Good luck:) .

pixy

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it is most certainly my goal to be a stronger rider. i used to ride my middle ring all the time. never touched the granny. i'm going to go back to that for sure. i feel so dumb for posting this. :(

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
well, i rode yesterday and went back to my "old" way of riding...mainly the middle ring. BIG difference! i didn't feel like i was sprinting to keep up with a jogger...so to speak. i was carrying a lot more speed which helped tremendously on shorter, more technical climbs. long climbs, eh, still granny but that's ok. and, jason, this is for you, i actually used my big ring for something more than bashing on logs! :D anyway, thanks to all for the input with this and setting me straight. all is once again well in my biking universe.

jake

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
bonefishjake said:
:D anyway, thanks to all for the input with this and setting me straight. all is once again well in my biking universe.

jake

Zen, and being one with the bike. That is what I like to hear! Enjoy your rides.

Last edited by a moderator:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jason said:
What he meant to say is for emergencies and hangovers!

yeah... true. my hangovers are emergencies! they hit me like a mack truck. ;)

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Evil said:
it's cuz yer old!

you're only 10 years behind me you bastidge... and you still can't keep up. ;)

i listened to "git yer sniggle on" all day saturday, as i rode from port jervis to cape may. that and some live alice in chains got me through the flat hell of fort dix and the pine barrens.

thanks brother!

when the hell are you coming back to this side of the hudson, anyway?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats insane. although, i have to admit, i'm shooting to do a road ride from here (succasunna) to LBI in september on the converted circa 1994 trek 970. i've always wanted to do that ride. what routes did you take?

btw, riding with the hang over brings the pain.

mergs said:
you're only 10 years behind me you bastidge... and you still can't keep up. ;)

i listened to "git yer sniggle on" all day saturday, as i rode from port jervis to cape may. that and some live alice in chains got me through the flat hell of fort dix and the pine barrens.

thanks brother!

when the hell are you coming back to this side of the hudson, anyway?

Top Bottom