chain ring thoughts

johnbryanpeters

more like lost weight. How does a 14 years old thread gets resurrected so randomly?
Weight weenie exercises are modestly inane on bicycles - the bike's a relatively modest contributor to total rider/gear/bike weight - last time I looked at that, my relatively heavy bike was about 16% of total system weight when riding.

1x chains wear out more quickly, and replacement part cost is insane - $375 for a cassette? Jesus...

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
not all cassettes are that expensive (you can get them cheaper, i paid $150 for the eagle gx i bought for my extra wheelset, 11 speed is cheaper yet), if you keep up with the chains you dont wear out the cassettes that quickly either (hell i dont even think the chains are that terrible, i got over 1200 miles out of the last eagle chain on my primary mountain bike).

chains are slightly more expensive but still not terrible . . . . . you do what you like, but alot of the concerns you read about on the internet are blown way out of proportion.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Eagle is dumb. Just drop down to a 26 or 28t ring and you can rock 10 speed for dirt cheap.
I said I would never go eagle but I think I just bought a bike with eagle. crap.

More companies need to do the wide 9 thing that Box is pushing. Same range as eagle in a bomb proof 9 speed. I would go this route on the big bike if it were XD compatible.

johnbryanpeters

not all cassettes are that expensive (you can get them cheaper, i paid $150 for the eagle gx i bought for my extra wheelset, 11 speed is cheaper yet), if you keep up with the chains you dont wear out the cassettes that quickly either (hell i dont even think the chains are that terrible, i got over 1200 miles out of the last eagle chain on my primary mountain bike).

chains are slightly more expensive but still not terrible . . . . . you do what you like, but alot of the concerns you read about on the internet are blown way out of proportion.
I'm stating my concerns based on miles and experience rather than net babble. I try to replace chains at 75% wear. Currently running X01 with an E13 cassette. If I were to try it from scratch, I'd want 2 x 9 or 2 x 11.

Top Bottom