chain line not straight, washers?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Jay over at halters figured out my rear tire rubbing problem, and now ive stumbled across another. who thought riding a single speed would require so much crap!

anyway, now my chain line isnt straight. (front cog is closer to the frame than the rear cog) i googled and even ran into jay leaving the trails yesterday afternoon, and he mentioned something about washers. me still being a noob, i havent see anything like this.

ive read over this, and see the links, but still curious on how to accomplish this. Are there spaces to add onto my single speed kit? I'll take pictures if you need em :)

Thanks again guys.

BiknBen

I'll take pictures if you need em :)

Need em!

There are a number of ways to resolve the issue. We need to know what you've got. Take a picture of the hub/cog. The crank/chaninring. Then one from the back so we get an idea of what the chainline looks like.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I assume you are running a freehub body (standard cassette hub) in the back that you converted to a single speed? If so, J is talking about the washers that fill in the space on the free hub body since the single speed cog is thin. I know he has surly washer kits at halters and you can get knock-offs online.

Basically you arrange the washers (there are different widths) until you get your chainline perfect. It is a pretty easy thing, just takes some trial and error and a lockring tool.

BTW, you have more problems with chain related items for a SS!

BiknBen

I assume you are running a freehub body (standard cassette hub) in the back that you converted to a single speed? If so, J is talking about the washers that fill in the space on the free hub body since the single speed cog is thin. I know he has surly washer kits at halters and you can get knock-offs online.

Basically you arrange the washers (there are different widths) until you get your chainline perfect. It is a pretty easy thing, just takes some trial and error and a lockring tool.

I was hesitant to get that specific because he wrote "Washers". Washers might be used on the chainring bolts to change the line of the chainrings.

If in fact Jay was referring to Cassette Spacers, this picture may help. You can arrange the spacers and the cog in any order to achieve the proper chainline. In this case I was running a Dingle-Speed until I decided which cog size I preferred.
CIMG3583Small.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
dingle speed, haha. i dont have a internet connection at home yet (mooching off at work now :p) but i think Jay was talking about the cassette spacers. I rode 7 miles with the chain so far like that, and i could hear my bike crying about it... i hope this makes sense

my chain:

| Front
\
\
\
| Rear Cog

so adding a couple spacers to rear, or to the front? im googling those spacers as we speak.

Top Bottom