Chain falling off question.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
On my Jamis Komodo, I removed the front derailleur and decided to run just the smaller ring. At least once a ride, my chain will pop off randomly. Most of the time its when I have a hard landing, pedal backwards, etc.

I ended up breaking one of the chain links before, So I decided to take the whole link out and shorten the chain.

What is the rule of thumb when shortening the chain? I have a "normal" amount of slack in the chain, like it used to be.

K

klutch

product.asp

try one of these, it's called a chain watcher and it's alot cheaper than a chain guide...

ytc100

What is the rule of thumb when shortening the chain? I have a "normal" amount of slack in the chain, like it used to be.

You can run the chain around the largest chainring (in your case the only chainring) and your largest cog in the rear without going through the derailleur. The rule of thumb is to add 2 links to this length although I've found in practice you may need an additional link or two.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
actually, when i worked in the shop, we would put the chain in the two largest cogs, AND run it through the derailler. there should be a little bit of slackin this gear. then, if the front chainring is set up somewhat centrally, you should not lose the chain. i rode stock trials for years without a chain tensioner and never lost the chain. also, if you're running a single ring setup, you can switch to a medium or short cage derailler which will help alot as well.

F5000sl

A lot depends on setup of gearing too.
My friend is using a med derail. and with proper chain setup on the large/large, allows for too much slack when using middle/11-13t.
We took out 2 links and now you can't do large/large, but there is great tension across the board.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I ended up taking more links out and the chain worked fine. I guess that after removing my front derailer, i had a lot more chain to play with.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might do the same ;)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I ended up taking more links out and the chain worked fine. I guess that after removing my front derailer, i had a lot more chain to play with.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might do the same ;)

I thought you ride a SS?

Top Bottom