Chain drop pedaling backwards?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have non-boost 2016 Process 111. E13 Cranks, X1 11-speed, version 2.1 derailleur. 42 tooth cassette. Sprocket (30t) is less than 3mm from the stay so it's as close as it can be. Almost anytime I reverse pedal more than 1/4 to 1/2 revolution the chain jumps off the largest cog. The chain line is pretty far inside but I've never seen this happen before. Very few miles on the drivetrain overall, chain measures almost new. Fresh cable, stops are set right, I just aligned the hanger.

Is this just a combo of non boost and 11 speed? The only other thing I noticed is the clutch is pretty soft compared to my XT 10 speed on another bike. Maybe?
TIA.

Thought it was more of a shimano issue?
Had the same issue on a 11 spd SLX
Havent had it happen to me on the Eagle so far.
IDK, I left the SRAM game on both road and mountain because of too many issues. 2 broken red derailleurs (mind you, over 30k miles), one smashed / out of wack NX, two smashed / out of wack GX not to mention you have to adjust sram mtn derailleurs waaaaaay too much and they cost 1.5-2 times as much.
tenor.gif

Any resistance on the chain will also cause this. I have a chain guide with idler wheel to stop chain slap but that means no backpedaling on the big cogs. Mid cassette it’s not really an issue.

I have a 2015 trek fuel ....I upgraded to a 1x11 from a 2x10 ....so I put on an xt rear derailleur 46 tooth cassette and a 32 tooth in the front with a k.m.c. chain ....and I have not had any issues

Yeah middle of the cassette is fine. Someone else said a wider aka stiffer chain is less susceptible, maybe Box has something with their wide range 9 speed.

The clutch does help with backpedal drops, especially if the chain is bobbing hard over undulations. If it seems a bit loose, see if you can pop off a cover and give it a tighten. Some can be tightened even if not advertized as such.

Ha. The solution will be expensive. And purple.

Ratchet some, but mainly getting pedals back to home when having to stop/start on tech climbs or rock gardens.

I will look and see if it does it in a particular spot on the cassette. Didn't think of a bent tooth there.

I try to start where the pedals fall, it's helped with ratcheting and I don't have to gear up to hammer

Back
Top Bottom