Chain clearance issue on 27.5 plus

skyrokz

So I got my new oval chainring direct mounted to my xx1 cranks and it turns out that the chainring is dished away from the crank vs the original spider was few mm away from the frame, usually it wouldn't make a big difference but with the 3" tires on there the chain now makes contact with the tire in the largest cog (42) can I space the crank out a few mms to clear the tire or is there a way to space the casette on the xd driver a couple mms away from the hub. Not the end of the world as I can just go back to my original spider but I really wanted to give this oval chainring a fair go.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's just not gonna work. I'll buy it for half of what you got it for.

On a serious note, is the crank you have on now different than the one your had with the round ring? I'd assume that direct mount rings would sit in the same spot since it's... direct mount. If your BB has spacers, you can always take one off the non-drive side and slap it on the drive side.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So I got my new oval chainring direct mounted to my xx1 cranks and it turns out that the chainring is dished away from the crank vs the original spider was few mm away from the frame, usually it wouldn't make a big difference but with the 3" tires on there the chain now makes contact with the tire in the largest cog (42) can I space the crank out a few mms to clear the tire or is there a way to space the casette on the xd driver a couple mms away from the hub. Not the end of the world as I can just go back to my original spider but I really wanted to give this oval chainring a fair go.

Is it physically possible to mount the chainring flipped the other way?

It's what the fatbike crew used to do with the raceface direct mount chainrings before 190mm rears were available/popular.

Edit: @soundz beat me too it.

skyrokz

I wish, but the xx1 spider or the oval chainring have previously routed slots only on one side that hold it in place, the bolts don't go through the ring more so hold it reteined by the routed lips.

skyrokz

Just like so, except my chainring is an absolute black oval ring....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-08-10-58-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-08-10-58-45.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 102

skyrokz

Sand paper to the tire..it solved the other side!

#washyourbike
Nah dude, this time it was rubbing on the casing, on the same side I already sanded. Took it to Jim's shop and he got me sorted... he was like "what screw indents" and flipped the chain ring right over... hehe I'm good until Im dead I guess

Top Bottom