century??

I generally try to do at least one century every year, but I've been road riding in Lower Bucks County, PA for almost 40 years, so traffic on narrow roads doesn't phase me. I hadn't done one for a few years up until 2020, so I spent a month of weekends increasing the miles until I hit the century mark over a few rides. Personally, I kinda dread flat roads, so I tend to look for climbs. They make the ride more interesting and also make you stronger. Plus, descending is fun (I am a retired DH racer, after all...). Although the last section of my regular route is along the DE River and is pretty flat, which is a nice way to end a long ride.

My road riding is almost always solo, but after some 30 years of tweaking my route, I've learned where to stop for snacks and water. The last century I did had a moving time of 6 hrs 45 min and I averaged just under 15 mph. I carry a fair amount of food with me and on hot days will add a 3rd water bottle in a jersey pocket in addition to the two on the bike. I'll typically refill these twice during the ride. I've become less trusting in my old age and now carry a lightweight lock with me as well.

Being able to carry and stop for food is important as you'll burn a lot of calories. According to Strava (a rough estimate at best), I burned over 3600 calories during my century this past August.

Last edited:
Not easy... but definitely doable.
I am not the fittest person here... not by a long shot so the 2 century rides I have done were long hrs.
Being on the saddle for 10+hrs made everything hurt..... shoulders down to your ass.
For whatever reason, the last 10 miles were always the toughest. At some pt, I was hoping a car would hit me so I won't have to stay on the saddle anymore :D
it takes me about 4.5hrs to do 50 on the mtb so hopefully it doesnt take me 10+ on the road!

it takes me about 4.5hrs to do 50 on the mtb so hopefully it doesnt take me 10+ on the road!

nah, if you don't get nuts with the climbing, you'll avg over 15mph.
no extended stops. chamois cream!
take visor off helmet. :D
ditch the baggies.

4.5hrs to do 50 miles on the trail?
10+mph on the trails? Where do you usually ride?
Allaire and yesterday was on the mcdade trail in PA
Screenshot_20200929-150151_Strava.jpg
Screenshot_20200929-150056_Strava.jpg

I kinda miss having a visor when riding on the road. Mainly because I don't wear sun glasses.
Chamois cream is another product I've never used and don't really understand. But I don't seem to get saddle sores no matter how much I ride.

I kinda miss having a visor when riding on the road. Mainly because I don't wear sun glasses.
Chamois cream is another product I've never used and don't really understand. But I don't seem to get saddle sores no matter how much I ride.

i like the glasses on the road because of the exposure. also the little flying rocks and bugs at road speed.
my reading vision sucks, so i need to carry readers, although i've been thinking about the magnifiers that just stick on the inside of the glasses...
ah, the challenges!!

if you don't chafe, you don't need it. i actually use something that goes on like a deodorant stick.
it is more for the duathlon thing tho.
anything called butt butter should be avoided. :)

i like the glasses on the road because of the exposure. also the little flying rocks and bugs at road speed.
my reading vision sucks, so i need to carry readers, although i've been thinking about the magnifiers that just stick on the inside of the glasses...
ah, the challenges!!

if you don't chafe, you don't need it. i actually use something that goes on like a deodorant stick.
That’s why i love the wahoo on the road.... The display gets quite large when you only have few fields on screen ... 👁👁

ah, the challenges!!

I wear prescription glasses. Bifocals, actually. But I don't have tinted versions. Once in awhile I consider prescription sports glasses, but I have a hard time finding any glasses that fit me and none of the sports-type glasses do. Boy do I wish I could wear contacts sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom