century??

02camaro

not because i want to, but i think i can and i want to prove i can do it. where can i do a century? i honestly hate riding road, but i have a road bike and want a mental challenge. ive done a few 50 mile rides on my mtb but want to do a century. i dont mind driving to ride a nice low traffic route. does anyone have some nice routes on hand?

im in central jersey and have a 2015 giant defy that i ride in full mtb kit, spd pedals and bill helmet to boot.

Last edited:
if you really want to avoid the road, the D&R canal.
boring, but flatish.

i ride spd on my roadie! they are single sided tho.

just stay west on secondary roads and keep pedaling! it goes by quickly -

idea - ride to the gravel ride sunday, do the ride, then finish up the century!

if you really want to avoid the road, the D&R canal.
boring, but flatish.

i ride spd on my roadie! they are single sided tho.

just stay west on secondary roads and keep pedaling! it goes by quickly -

idea - ride to the gravel ride sunday, do the ride, then finish up the century!
25c is the max tire i can fit on my road bike and im not sure ill be able to comfortably make 100miles work on gravel on that bike (though the DR is minutes from my house and would be perfect..... new gravel bike time??). i dont want to slog my 30ish lb mtb 100mi.

i tried 28c tires on my giant, it doesnt fit.

I would respectfully disagree to try your first 100 on a gravel trail the resistance is gonna wear your down after a while plus the boredom of basically the same trail the whole time.

I have not done this event in a few years but I recall the Princeton Freewheeler event was very flat. I did a quick search and found this version from 2016 on RWGPS.

I do recall some parts were a bit remote so you might want to study the map for spots to refuel. The event had rest stops so it didnt matter back then. Also I would suggest to convince a friend (or soon to be ex friend) to join you because 100 solo is harder mentally. Plus any drafting helps if you can split the work. 3-4 people is perfect but nowadays that’s harder to find people to join up.

Done a lot of 100s on the road but not crazy shit like Vreeland more like normal human rides. The one exception was my recent personal challenge from my bday back in June I did 128 miles solo.

but if you need any hints and tips hit me up.

I would get the bike fit dialed in first if not already done.
The long hours on the saddle will hurt.

Do you follow me on Strava? I have a bunch of Century Routes to pick from. It won't let me link them though. Or I just don't know what I'm doing.

Screenshot_20200929-063250_Strava.jpg
Screenshot_20200929-063313_Strava.jpg

When i click on the share icon (top right near the garbage can on yours), i get the option to copy to clipboard.
View attachment 140353

Which then puts this on the clipboard to paste...

Check out this route on Strava: https://strava.app.link/JhYYyyVSaab — 2019 Ringwood Rumble Cat 1 Loop

Maybe I did not understand the OP request but that loop definitely requires a MTB (Cat Nest, White Trail, Blueberry etc.). Also only 12.2 miles, will need repeating 5 times.

Maybe I did not understand the OP request but that loop definitely requires a MTB (Cat Nest, White Trail, Blueberry etc.). Also only 12.2 miles, will need repeating 5 times.
Im pretty sure that was just being used as an example on how to share a link to a Strava ride, not that the OP should ride that loop for the 100

I would respectfully disagree to try your first 100 on a gravel trail the resistance is gonna wear your down after a while plus the boredom of basically the same trail the whole time.

I have not done this event in a few years but I recall the Princeton Freewheeler event was very flat. I did a quick search and found this version from 2016 on RWGPS.

I do recall some parts were a bit remote so you might want to study the map for spots to refuel. The event had rest stops so it didnt matter back then. Also I would suggest to convince a friend (or soon to be ex friend) to join you because 100 solo is harder mentally. Plus any drafting helps if you can split the work. 3-4 people is perfect but nowadays that’s harder to find people to join up.

Done a lot of 100s on the road but not crazy shit like Vreeland more like normal human rides. The one exception was my recent personal challenge from my bday back in June I did 128 miles solo.

but if you need any hints and tips hit me up.
I would second the suggestion for one of the Princeton Freewheelers loops, particularly if you live in that general vicinity anyway.

Apart from heading south to the Pinelands area, you won't find a much flatter loop in NJ. And the flat, endlessly straight roads down in the Pines can be pretty mind-numbing, particularly if you don't have company.

I‘ve done a few centuries (60+ pounds ago) and based on where you are (Milltown IIRC) the freewheeler event loops are the easiest to get to. But honestly, just mapping out a route from home that starts up fresh ponds cut across at deans lane across and over cranberry road and over to Thomson park area then continue south making your way down and toward great adventure and then head back up going a bit east would net you a flat-ish 100 with plenty of options to stop to re-fuel.

I would second the suggestion for one of the Princeton Freewheelers loops, particularly if you live in that general vicinity anyway.

Apart from heading south to the Pinelands area, you won't find a much flatter loop in NJ. And the flat, endlessly straight roads down in the Pines can be pretty mind-numbing, particularly if you don't have company.
I did the pine lands triple years ago.... Yes it’s flat... but it can get very windy.. so theres that. definitely bring tunes.

I‘ve done a few centuries (60+ pounds ago) and based on where you are (Milltown IIRC) the freewheeler event loops are the easiest to get to. But honestly, just mapping out a route from home that starts up fresh ponds cut across at deans lane across and over cranberry road and over to Thomson park area then continue south making your way down and toward great adventure and then head back up going a bit east would net you a flat-ish 100 with plenty of options to stop to re-fuel.
Let's do it!

yeah - it was just the first route on my list.

here ya go. first route out my front door.
i did this once, and my gps quit, so it didn't happen

Don't over think it:

1. Map out a 100 mile route (start from your house)
2. Ride it

Only suggestion I would add is design it such that you can bail and cut it short to 70 - 80 miles

Agree. First time for me was around 70 miles and the wall showed up. Then you get over it and keep going.

@02camaro it appears as though you ride plenty. You can definitely knock something like this out. Pick a route with some hills, otherwise the boredom can set in. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom