Centrum Performance?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So last ride we were talking about supplements and how they effect your ride and recovery. I was saying how I cramp up quite a bit a few hours after a ride. I picked up Centrum Performance and wanted to know what you guys think.

Much higher levels then my regular multivitamin.

Vitamin A 3500 IU (29% as Beta Carotene) 70%
Vitamin C 120 mg 200%
Vitamin D 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E 60 IU 200%
Vitamin K 25 mcg 31%
Thiamin 4.5 mg 300%
Riboflavin 5.1 mg 300%
Niacin 40 mg 200%
Vitamin B6 6 mg 300%
Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 18 mcg 300%
Biotin 40 mcg 13%
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100%
Calcium 100 mg 10%
Iron 18 mg 100%
Phosphorus 48 mg 5%
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Magnesium 40 mg 10%
Zinc 15 mg 100%
Selenium 70 mcg 100%
Copper 2 mg 100%
Manganese 4 mg 200%
Chromium 120 mcg 100%
Molybdenum 75 mcg 100%
Chloride 72 mg 2%
Potassium 80 mg 2%
Ginseng Root (Panax ginseng) 50 mg Standardized Extract *
Ginkgo Biloba Leaf (Ginkgo biloba) 60 mg Standardized Extract *
Boron 60 mcg *
Nickel 5 mcg *
Silicon 4 mg *
Tin 10 mcg *
Vanadium 10 mcg *

INGREDIENTS: Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Microcrystalline Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Magnesium Oxide, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf (Ginkgo biloba) Standardized Extract, Gelatin, Ginseng Root (Panax ginseng) Standardized Extract, Ferrous Fumarate, Niacinamide, Crospovidone, Starch. Contains <2% of: Acacia Senegal Gum, Beta Carotene, Biotin, BHT, Calcium Pantothenate, Chromic Chloride, Citric Acid, Cupric Oxide, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Ergocalciferol (Vit. D), FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Aluminum Lake, Folic Acid, Glucose, Hypromellose, Lactose Monohydrate, Magnesium Borate, Magnesium Stearate, Manganese Sulfate, Nickelous Sulfate, Phytonadione (Vit. K), Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Sorbate, Purified Water, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Borate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Metavanadate, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Sodium Silicoaluminate, Sorbic Acid, Stannous Chloride, Sucrose, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vit. B1), Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherol, Tribasic Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin A Acetate (Vit. A), Zinc Oxide. May also contain: Maltodextrin.

heythorp

Multi vitamins, where to start.

I believe they are important and have there place but there are many things to be aware of.

There is no regulatory system for vitamins, so you dont really know what is in them and what is not. There are a few resources online that has done independant studies on vitamins. Most of the ones that have recieved good tests are the ones you only find at health food stores. The only problem with these studies is that they have not tested every vitamin on the market, you are only going to get results on what they tested. So if you want to use something that hasnt been test you are SOL.

The other problem is absorbtion rate. Most multi's don't get absorbed into our systems for a few reasons, but some are designed better so you will get more out of them. Again these are the ones you find at the healthfood stores and are generally more expensive.

If you are cramping after the rides you need to replenish many more things then just whats in a multi. Electrolites and lots of other things need replenishing (both during the ride and after) You really should be using a recovery drink. Endurox, Reoverite and there are a few other. I found that Endurox has worked best for me. You can pick it up at Marty's or GNC.

You should really use a during ride drink.

Heed, purpetum (for over 2 hours of exercise),GU2o, cyclomax and there are many others to try. I think its a good idea to try a couple of different things to see what works for you.

Read this
http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=GETTING_STARTED

I know its hammer's website but all of their info is reiterated across the web.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are also studies which say that the expensive vitamins are just like cheap vitamins, only a lot more expensive. After a lot of reading, my choice is a Centrum 1-a-day in the morning, during the heavier training periods. It's also a consideration if you're operating under a very reduced calorie load, ie, trying to lose weight. Under SOP, there's little to no reason to take vitamins, IMO. Others will disagree but basically no objective studies have shown vitamins to be effective at all. You need to eat a healthy diet.

Heythorp is right about your on-bike and after-bike nutrition. If you're only drinking water you're hurting yourself. If you're then not focusing on recovery food, you're doubly hurting yourself.

What are your normal eating habits now? What is your on-bike nutrition? After ride nutrition?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
normZurawski said:
There are also studies which say that the expensive vitamins are just like cheap vitamins, only a lot more expensive. After a lot of reading, my choice is a Centrum 1-a-day in the morning, during the heavier training periods. It's also a consideration if you're operating under a very reduced calorie load, ie, trying to lose weight. Under SOP, there's little to no reason to take vitamins, IMO. Others will disagree but basically no objective studies have shown vitamins to be effective at all. You need to eat a healthy diet.

Heythorp is right about your on-bike and after-bike nutrition. If you're only drinking water you're hurting yourself. If you're then not focusing on recovery food, you're doubly hurting yourself.

What are your normal eating habits now? What is your on-bike nutrition? After ride nutrition?
On rides over 15-30 miles, I have been taking two camelbacks. One with water for the first half and then the 2nd with GU20. I'll eat a banana along the way and some shot bloks. After the ride, I don't really do anything aside from eat some average grub. Usually some kind of grilled chicken (I have a tricky stomach)

Most of my rides have been water and clif shot bloks. I can easily start bringing GU20 as I already have that. I'll have to pick up something for after the ride.

Last edited:

heythorp

Yes multi vitamins is a very heated debate and many people have different views on them. Best is to read like crazy and then form your own opinion.

Fuel on the other hand is a proven science. You can take it to extremes. What you should eat the day before a ride, morning of, during, right after and dinner. You can get really caught up in the whole crazy thing.

Tons of good info out there on the fueling needs. I did my reading a few years ago and I dont remember details anymore. But I have built a "system" for myself (which I never stick to anyways) that seems to work.

Jason, I have found my fueling needs increase substantially when I ride the SS. As you are about to partake in this endevor, I would recommend carrying more fuel and think about recovery drinks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jason said:
Ofter the ride, I don't really do anything aside from eat some average grub. Usually some kind of grilled chicken (I have a tricky stomach)

Focus here, I'd say. The standard formula is 1g carb/lb body weight in the 2 hours after exercise. Also add some protein, something to make it like 4:1 carb : protein. I eat half of that in the 30 minutes after my ride and the rest when I get hungry. After the 2 hour mark I eat a solid meal and then try to eat a balanced diet, in general. No need to adhere strictly to this. It's a guide to get you started. I can give you examples if you care. But if you have a tricky stomach...

As heythorp mentions, vitamins supplements = heated debate. I stand by my contention that no studies show they work. In true flip-flop manner, I then admit to taking a Centrum every morning (with food). Go figure. I think heythorp's idea to do your own research and form your own conclusion is a good one. Also, I use fitday.com and meet all the RDA guidelines for vitamins & minerals almost every day with the foods I eat. A look at my weekly averages shows that zinc & vitamin D are my lowest numbers, both around 120% RDA for the past week. The multivitamin is merely a bit of cheap insurance, I suppose.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
magnesium is a big help specifically with cramping, as it promotes proper muscle function, but that multi you listed only has 10% of the daily rda for it. everything everyone else suggested applies as well, but it is really difficult to get enough magnesium from any diet. it isn't replenished in our soils through fertilization and has become largely lost from our diets. i take a magnesium and a calcium(because i don't eat/drink dairy) every morning and before longer, harder rides. if you watch your diet, a multi almost becomes pointless, because your body only stores some vitamins, and others you get more than enough of from diet and other sources(sun). alot of the vitamins in multis are simply wasted. find out whats missing from your diet and either modify your diet to get it through food/drink, or supplement it.

on a side note, micro/homebrewed beer that has yeast in the bottom of the bottle is actually a good, but not complete, source of b vitamins....

Shaggz

A strong 7
anrothar said:
on a side note, micro/homebrewed beer that has yeast in the bottom of the bottle is actually a good, but not complete, source of b vitamins....

yet another reason to start brewing again...

ytc100

anrothar said:
magnesium is a big help specifically with cramping, as it promotes proper muscle function, but that multi you listed only has 10% of the daily rda for it. i take a magnesium and a calcium(because i don't eat/drink dairy) every morning and before longer, harder rides.

I've been trying these:

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=P...ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104#info3

So far not convinced although I have been cramping less often and with less intensity. I'm still not sure what's causing my cramping but I think it's really from over exertion. I'm taking this week off to see how I feel this weekend. It'll be the first time I've taken 5 days off from riding since mid April. I think my legs are tired. :rolleyes:

I also use the endurox or recoverite after rides which seems to help my legs feel less sore.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
scott, those have 25 mg magnesium in each capsule. assuming you're taking two before excercise, that barely puts you above what jason is using.

i'm not calling magnesium a wonder cure-all for cramps, but it does do alot. go to the supermarket and you can find 100 capsules of 65%rda magnesium for around or less than five bucks.

ytc100

anrothar said:
scott, those have 25 mg magnesium in each capsule. assuming you're taking two before excercise, that barely puts you above what jason is using.

i'm not calling magnesium a wonder cure-all for cramps, but it does do alot. go to the supermarket and you can find 100 capsules of 65%rda magnesium for around or less than five bucks.

You're right, they don't have that much. I looked at some tablets at gnc.com and they have like 500mg per tablet! Cheap too. I wonder how much is too much?

ytc100

anrothar said:
as far as i know, your body doesn't store magnesium, so any excess i would think would just be disposed of. i could be wrong though.

One of Janine's Nursing books says >400mg/day for adult males 31 and over. Also had a good list of food sources of magnesium which I'll post soon.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you cramp when you ride, it's almost always because you don't train enough for the rides you're doing. Do you cramp on all your rides, or just long ones?

ytc100

I only cramp on rides where I'm pushing myself harder than usual. Usually when I'm riding with faster riders and I'm trying to keep up.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

ytc100

normZurawski said:
That's basically your answer. You're going harder than you train for. I cramped up in the Allamuchy race this year so I did my own reading and put together a small page, which you may or may not find usefull:
http://thewheelsonthebikegoroundandround.blogspot.com/2006/08/cramping.html

Norm

Interesting, thanks.
I guess I'm in denial but it does seem that I am pushing myself too hard on the rides I cramp on. I don't feel like I am pushing any harder than I used to last year but it's been pointed out to me that I have been clearing terrain which I would've not cleared last season. I need to research/understand how to get my training/daily rides more in line with what I want to accomplish on my longer/harder rides.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
I need to research/understand how to get my training/daily rides more in line with what I want to accomplish on my longer/harder rides.

What's your current training look like? How often, how long, road or off-road, etc? And what do you want to accomplish?

Top Bottom