central jersey to the SI Ferry routes?

pygmypony

hey all! after 6+ months of not commuting to NYC, i'm going to have to take a one day trip into the city sometime before oct 31. i was thinking of riding to the SI Ferry and then riding from downtown to midtown via my typical "old commute"

does anyone have a good route across SI from the goethels to the ferry terminal? I've never ridden on SI at all so have no idea of the streets etc...thanks in advance!!!

would also appreciate any routes from Edison to the Goethels, though that looks pretty simple, and i can figure that out via roads i've travelled millions of times....

thanks!

Joe C

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Strava heatmap has most people riding the north shore to the ferry. At least it’s not far from the bridge to the ferry, Staten Island is a scary place to ride.
FC67CED3-F3F4-4320-B5E7-96E9586B337A.png

iman29

i grew up in staten island but I have not lived there since 2000. Be careful on the North shore some of those neighborhoods are not the best. I have a strava friend that lives/rides road out there I can get in touch with him and see what the latest is if you want.

pygmypony

i grew up in staten island but I have not lived there since 2000. Be careful on the North shore some of those neighborhoods are not the best. I have a strava friend that lives/rides road out there I can get in touch with him and see what the latest is if you want.
that would be awesome! looking for any intel i can get! thanks!

iman29

im back. here's the feedback from my SI cycling friend:

Richmond terrace is His best option , when He gets off the Goethals Bridge make sharp left go to traffic light make right go to end make right He will be on Richmond terrace a twisty road not many traffic lights a few rough spots , a lot of riders use Richmond terrace a lot better than it used to be a few years ago .

So i know most of SI pretty well since i lived there so long and during college I had a job delivering (Ralphs Ices) all across the island. My recollection of the Richmond terrace route is not that great since some of the neighborhoods were questionable but my friend does loops of the whole island on a regular basis so he would know the real deal much better now. I took 3 minutes and mapped out his suggestion for you in ridewithgps here:

Like riding anyplace new just keep alert and you should be OK. I would be curious of your view on it if/when you try it as I have never ridden a bike back there since I started riding. Some of my NJ friends have already done what you are planning and they said the bridge was nice.

Good like and ride safe.

pygmypony

im back. here's the feedback from my SI cycling friend:

Richmond terrace is His best option , when He gets off the Goethals Bridge make sharp left go to traffic light make right go to end make right He will be on Richmond terrace a twisty road not many traffic lights a few rough spots , a lot of riders use Richmond terrace a lot better than it used to be a few years ago .

So i know most of SI pretty well since i lived there so long and during college I had a job delivering (Ralphs Ices) all across the island. My recollection of the Richmond terrace route is not that great since some of the neighborhoods were questionable but my friend does loops of the whole island on a regular basis so he would know the real deal much better now. I took 3 minutes and mapped out his suggestion for you in ridewithgps here:

Like riding anyplace new just keep alert and you should be OK. I would be curious of your view on it if/when you try it as I have never ridden a bike back there since I started riding. Some of my NJ friends have already done what you are planning and they said the bridge was nice.

Good like and ride safe.
thanks a ton! will report back when i take this on in the next few weeks!

Top Bottom