Cat 5 One-Day License Results Screwups

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
The two times I've entered so far, 'cross has turned out to be my own personal version of Whose Line Is It Anyway?.....everything's made up and the points don't matter.

I read the jersey pinning thread. I used the steering wheel. I looked good, damnit - downright handsome. Then I put my pain face on and after a few laps I didn't look so good, jersey bunches up, number goes with it. I check results afterward and sure enough, don't get scored. I stand in the official's tent for 20 minutes or so, we find me on the finish line camera, officials say that they won't update the scoring immediately but that it will be correct when online and I go on with my day. Results get uploaded, and I'm scored in the 20s of a 50+ person field. I was actually second or third from last, and one lap down. Now instead of feeling awful that I wasn't on the results after 30 minutes of pain, I'm feeling awful that I've accidentally devalued the results of half of the field by 1 position.

How do I fix this? In hindsight, I think I need to a) wear better jerseys and b) pin my number higher up, closer to my armpit than my hip. But going forward, who do I email? Do I get a hold of USAC and explain my situation? Do I just let it go? What about the people who got bumped by a position, what about them?

I also went back and looked at results from Sussex last year - again raced on a 1-day license there as I did at Hippo last weekend. Looks like USAC credited my results to someone with the same name (no relation, different address, and a racing age more than twice my own). Similar story with crossresults.com. I know I shouldn't even care about points or official results right now since I'm just wading into this mess called bike racing, but I'm really looking forward to putting in the effort and improving as the season goes on, and am excited to see if I can finish somewhere in the middle of the pack over the next few years. It would be nice to look back and say to myself "wow, self, you came a long way, you still suck a lot, but back then you sucked so hard that you blew!" - more of a personal milestone/comparative tool than anything else. Is this a function of doing the 1-day license dance? Planning on buying a yearly for next year, since I'm completely hooked and want to try other types of racing, too. Do I just throw everything away until I have a yearly license and just not worry about it?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
buy regular license next year, let go of the past, fly, and be free.

what is your next race?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't worry about it. This does make me wonder though about the BS that is the waiting period after a race to contest results. Hard to contest if you go home and USAC bumps you down (and everyone else) due to their error.

FYI you can get a two year license at a discount. There's still a bunch of races left this year. And hasn't Sean bugged you about Nationals yet? Those are in January which requires a 2017 license...

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
buy regular license next year, let go of the past, fly, and be free.

what is your next race?

And this bird you cannot change? That'll be like a fresh start, which is AWESOME. Next race is MartyCross. Depending on how I feel after that, I'm thinking 1-2 more races depending on how I feel and what my schedule looks like (I started taking grad school classes again this fall, and I'm still trying to work out a system where I can do classes, my normal job, family stuff, ride a bicycle, and not die). Candidates for the other races are: SCCX (nostalgia from last year), Bubblecross (because sand), Supercross (would combust like a Samsung device), and Limestone 'Cross at the Kiln (because pictures of it looked awesome, but didn't know if it was a thing again since I couldn't find it on BikeReg within 2 minutes).

Don't worry about it. This does make me wonder though about the BS that is the waiting period after a race to contest results. Hard to contest if you go home and USAC bumps you down (and everyone else) due to their error.

FYI you can get a two year license at a discount. There's still a bunch of races left this year. And hasn't Sean bugged you about Nationals yet? Those are in January which requires a 2017 license...

Yeah, so they didn't even reprint it on Saturday, so no one would have had a clue until they were uploaded online. I guess it's just the nature of the beast? Will probably do a 2-year. In it for the long haul, for sure, stoke is high. Planning on just 1-day-ing it the rest of the way and then buying a license in December that would take me through the end of 2018. Not really ready for Nats, have not been bugged about it, but definitely thinking of going to spectate. Will spectate most spectacularly.

Top Bottom