Cars try to kill me...

don't take umbrage, Fred:

Fred:1) n. a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney".
2) n. a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. This term is from road touring and, according to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

Last edited:
cars don't hurt that bad. just hit em back after they hit you, show em who's boss. :D i've never been hit or brushed by a car in new jersey, but have been hit several times in nyc and philly, and brushed a few times in the midwest riding at nightn by cars travelling in excess of 45 mph. thank the gods for panniers....

Installation took some doing. The clamp is designed for skinny little seat stays. I modified an old seatpost reflector bracket to fit the flag bracket and mounted it on my seatpost. The flag sticks out 3-4" wider than my bars. Surprisingly it makes no sound at all, even at higher speeds. It is bright and very reflective.

Not sure how much of a difference it made today. Most drivers gave me a pretty wide birth but I think drivers who are going to come close are going to come close no matter what. I will continue to evaluate.

Back
Top Bottom