How to jack up an older car and educate me on car repairs

IMG_5844.jpeg

this is why @Carson always has a backup car for his backup car so he doesnt have to be one of these guys:

img_20190507_202245_effects_bf6ee7e08788b236e7d90147408e4ad79de1cdcf.jpg

that being said it seems theres a specific model sea sucker mentioned on my google search (sea sucker convertible) which accommodates this scenario better and you can have the suction cups all on the trunk?

7646d9cf_589b_4436_a1ca_c38df0aa551f_e449f641d1ced2722b9c898a97dd91ea358fe88d.jpeg

or you could be this guy but I guess your hood mounted idea is the same thing:

seasucker_talon_and_flight_deck_1_3__5a9e182188865d2936571ca0b191e3089f084159.jpg

that being said it seems theres a specific model sea sucker mentioned on my google search (sea sucker convertible) which accommodates this scenario better and you can have the suction cups all on the trunk?

7646d9cf_589b_4436_a1ca_c38df0aa551f_e449f641d1ced2722b9c898a97dd91ea358fe88d.jpeg

looks like the sea sucker komodo and it aint cheap

LOL OMG.

I don't think so BUT I'd want to have a convo with anyone who would do this lol.
And would you drive in front or behind said convo? The possibilities for a flying bike are endless with any of the pictured setups...one of the worst (or best, depending the point of view) includes an old car bonnet flying off with a bike attached to it...

I like the custom hitch option.

Also, you’re not gonna hurt that steel with a trunk rack. Used to put 3-4 bikes on a trunk rack on the back of my Mustang fastback and blast over to Philly and up Lincoln Drive to Wissahickon Park to ride, never hurt it.

I tried the Seasucker on the M3, it worked until it didn't. Luckily I had a secondary strap that held it from hitting the road. Put a few nice gouges in the trunk lid, I was done after that.

I tried the Seasucker on the M3, it worked until it didn't. Luckily I had a secondary strap that held it from hitting the road. Put a few nice gouges in the trunk lid, I was done after that.

Thanks for posting this. It's the first time iv read of one actually letting go even with how sketchy the concept seems.

Bike bag was a bit of a pain because you had to pull both wheels, but much safer than that Seasucker hood option. :eek:

P.S. The Vette event was a one time thing. Had my normal car break down and had plans to ride that I really wanted to make.

Ok, I have a really stupid idea…. (and that’s saying something).

Well, what if you were to get a piece of 1/4” steel plate, say 6 x 12“ … drill a couple of holes in it so that if you remove the passenger headrest you could pass it through the holes and reinstall. With me so far? You could mount a forkmount bracket to the back half of the plate and Bob’s yer uncle. Yes, it’s a fair weather only option but… it’s something. Sorta . 🤷

How about this…
1) put top down
2) install fork mount on piece of wood (1x3)
3) cut the 1x3 to the length of your spoiler
4) line the bottom of the wood with felt or rubber sheet
5) use square U bolts (line them with rubber to protect against scratches) to attach wood to spoiler
6) mount bike fork and position rear wheel on the downslope of the rear seats (protect seats from tire dirt with a towel)
7) buy two seat belt clips and run a strap between them
8) secure the rear wheel using the strap with the clips clipped into the rear seat belt buckles to hold the wheel down and against the seat.

Assumptions:
  1. Spoiler is solidly bolted
  2. Rear trunk locks well
  3. Rear seats have seat belt buckles (not always common on 60’s era cars

Back
Top Bottom