carnage at white clay

rayder

in late october while perusing mtbnj I saw a post about a place called white clay creek in delaware. it told of a trail called a skills trail with bridges,skinnies, and see-saws etc. i knew I would someday have to go. last Saturday my wife and i went. we set out immediately for the skills trail. First time around i mustered the courage and did most of it only reaaly stopping short of the steep drop off the structure after the second see-saw. I was quite impressed with myself. My wife had bypassed most of it. Of course i had to go back around and try to do the whole thing. At the entrance I saw my friend stratocaster and some other familiar new jersey faces and got even more psyched. Again I couldn't climb the short skinny section leading to the seesaw section but i walked up again and got on the bike determined to finish the rest of the thing. Unfortunately I made it less far losingcontrol of the front wheel on the shaky bridge I bailed out just before the second seesaw. To my surprise i turn around and my wife is getting on her bike looking at me past the first seesaw and the shakeybridge asking if she should try it. I told her it was up to her and said she could definitely make it over the first seesaw and the shaky bridge but then stop prior to the second seesaw because it would be harder to cross and harder to stop onn the other side. well she wasn't quite able to stop pre 2nd seesaw so she made it across it then wiped out hard whacking her chin on the side of the woocen structure as she plummeted to the earth and disappeare under the wooden structure with her bike emerging with a crimson chin resulting in 10 stitches 2 dissolvable inside and 8 regular ones outside. she went to the doc to get them out earlier this eve. anyway does anyone know where i can get her one of those giro switchblade helmets they stopped making them in 04. we need one because you know we gotta go back. I am the luckiest man alive, my wife is so much tougher than me.

ellenserruto

Ouch! Memories of my daughter falling in the bath and needing 40 stitches. NEVER saw so much blood in my life. Tell Lauren the scar won't show because its mostly under her chin. Also, way to go for it!!!

Wobbegong

Ouch!

I took a good pavement fall to the chin years ago. I got quite a few stiches, cant remember the total. My jaw was sore up near my ears for almost a week. :mad:

I hope she is feeling better.

J.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Wow!
Glad she's okay.
Don't know if I'd be so quick to go back.
Okay, maybe I would, but my sensibilities were dislodged long ago.

rayder

thanks

Lauren thanks you all and we look forward to seeing you all out on the trails. We just got back from Mahlon, saw a huge coyote, first time i saw one other than tv or a zoo. definitely gonna bid on the switchblade helmet thanks.

NJMX835

Hope she feels better soon! (Although, if she got the stiches out, she probably does already, lol)

Back in 79 my dad was riding me around sitting side-saddle on the top tube of his Schwinn & although there's some debate over whether my foot caught in the spokes or I accidently grabbed the brake.....I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

I don't remember how many stitches, but I remember ALOT of blood & I had a whopper of a scab on my chin for about a month, I think it was my first major bicycle crash. :D

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
... well she wasn't quite able to stop pre 2nd seesaw so she made it across it then wiped out hard whacking her chin on the side of the woocen structure as she plummeted to the earth and disappeare under the wooden structure with her bike emerging with a crimson chin resulting in 10 stitches 2 dissolvable inside and 8 regular ones outside...

Ouch! I know exactly where you are talking about. I did the first see-saw and then the "shaky bridge". I didn't know the bridge was a rope bridge, it shocked me and I thought the structure was coming down.

I hope your wife is okay. That bridge was pretty far above the ground, if I remember correctly.

rayder

actually Steve she fell just after the second see-saw. she's fine now. It was great seeing you there

Muddy day for the most part...

White Clay is a cool place. Lots of surface grease for my ride. (mud) I was pretty tired when I saw you and Lauren. Great to see you but bummer about the chin. Feel better Lauren!

It was "scarey" on top of the tall stuff and some of it was just "naa" for me. I did plenty of stuff I didn't expect to do so I was satisfied enough. A different kind of riding Zen and concentration that's for sure.

Top Bottom