Carbon wheels!

Xler8

I thought that part of the point of carbon wheels was to shave some weight?

Not in the MTB arena. The amount of carbon needed to make a carbon wheel strong enough erases any weight savings. Main thing that you gain from carbon is the lateral stiffness, which some people say is too stiff.

Stick with alloy on the trails... can’t go wrong.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Not in the MTB arena. The amount of carbon needed to make a carbon wheel strong enough erases any weight savings. Main thing that you gain from carbon is the lateral stiffness, which some people say is too stiff.

Stick with alloy on the trails... can’t go wrong.
Carbon is like a bazillion times stronger. What i have done to my valors would surely have pretzelled poor alloy hoops.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
There is something unique and intangible about carbon wheels that just doesn’t exist in alloy wheels.

Evenwhenriding plus tires, I’d have a hard time going back to alloy rims

Carbon spins up to speed with a perceived lower effort and the pay do impact the handling of any bike I’ve tired them on

The Zipp rim is an interesting concept and one that I’m eager to demo shortly.

I saw Jerome Clementz on these for at least the last two years, so I’d bet they have them sorted out

As for reserve wheel failures, they have both been under Trip who rides the sour lands a ton and come from a box background. (Not gentle)

Both wheels were replaced quickly without any fuss. I’d guess that this is the new benchmark in customer service / warranty.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
There is something unique and intangible about carbon wheels that just doesn’t exist in alloy wheels.

Evenwhenriding plus tires, I’d have a hard time going back to alloy rims

Carbon spins up to speed with a perceived lower effort and the pay do impact the handling of any bike I’ve tired them on

The Zipp rim is an interesting concept and one that I’m eager to demo shortly.

I saw Jerome Clementz on these for at least the last two years, so I’d bet they have them sorted out

As for reserve wheel failures, they have both been under Trip who rides the sour lands a ton and come from a box background. (Not gentle)

Both wheels were replaced quickly without any fuss. I’d guess that this is the new benchmark in customer service / warranty.

You can try to "spin" it any way you want, but broken wheels are broken wheels, and heavier wheels are heavier wheels, because #physics.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
To quote Chris Rock: "Good Lord that's a lot of money". My Nextie 27.5+ rims have been holding up to my fat ass at a fraction of the price of a single Zipp rim. Life time replacement warranty or not I'll stick with my Nexties. If I can break 4 carbon fiber rims (to match the cost of 1 Zipp rim) then I have no business riding on carbon rims or mountain biking in general.

rick81721

Lothar
These are bizarre looking

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-quais-isos-33-carbon-wheels-look-odd-are-very-robust.html

p3pb17549028.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Last time I was at Halter’s I made the very real mistake of puttering around in the parking lot on @jdog’s new pivot... the one with the “new” Onyx hubs and the OP new rims.

All I can say is, I told J I hate him...... yeah, they’re that nice.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Still hard to justify getting a rim that cost 2-6+ times an aluminum rim. Especially when pink bike says every tester has broken multiple carbon rims.
Last time I was at Halter’s I made the very real mistake of puttering around in the parking lot on @jdog’s new pivot... the one with the “new” Onyx hubs and the OP new rims.

come on man, you know that trick!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

Couldn't you say that you were mugged? Lots of thugs in Montgomery :oops:

The Kalmyk

Still hard to justify getting a rim that cost 2-6+ times an aluminum rim. Especially when pink bike says every tester has broken multiple carbon rims.

You are quoting Dan and comparing him to Pink Bike testers, hmm. That said, I'm all in on the aluminum rims for price and reliability.

Dan- mad love my man!;)

Captain Brainstorm

You are quoting Dan and comparing him to Pink Bike testers, hmm. That said, I'm all in on the aluminum rims for price and reliability.

Dan- mad love my man!;)

My LBS strongly recommended that I don't go carbon on my wheel build, so I built up Flow MK3's around my Hadley Hubs, and couldn't be happier. I had Easton ARC's before, and I can run tire pressures slightly lower on the Flows. I destroyed my ARC's running higher pressures, FWIW.

The Kalmyk

My LBS strongly recommended that I don't go carbon on my wheel build, so I built up Flow MK3's around my Hadley Hubs, and couldn't be happier. I had Easton ARC's before, and I can run tire pressures slightly lower on the Flows. I destroyed my ARC's running higher pressures, FWIW.

Yeah no way I'm going carbon. Too pricey for this cat.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of carbon wheels have lifetime warranties. So.... Just do it

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know anything about fancypants name brand carbon rims, but my China carbon rims are bombproof.

Top Bottom