carbon frames

Pat

What do you guys think about carbon fiber frames for xc riding? Are they durable enough if i were to fall/crash on the rocks where an Al frame would get scratched would a CF frame break or go crunch? Thanks
Patrick

walter

Fourth Party
I just bought a carbon cyclocross/road bike, imo carbon is better for the road. I have never owned a carbon bike for trail use but can tell you many of the folks here who have, have broken them. I was with someone at Ringwood some time ago and a simple little tip over in the right spot damaged the chainstay. Something that most likely would have not phased any type of metal.

Think about where you spend most of your riding time and how aggressive you are riding and on equipment and go from there.

MikeP

I agree, carbon is better suited for the road. If you want something other than aluminum go for Ti. I know a guy that cracked his carbon Scapel hopping off a 2 ft high log ride. And another who's been thru 2 GF superfly FS frames. And yeah metal frames break too but not as easily as plastic.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All of the Chinese carbon frames that were purchased in our group have had zero issues after almost a year, i think it was 7 frames...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm riding a second hand superfly right now. it's my first carbon mtb...i've had a carbon road bike for almost four years.

there are positives and negatives to a carbon mtb, but generally speaking, i *think* there are less issues with them than the interwebz lets on. as matty noted above, none of the generic frames we bought have had been problematic.

you just have to know what you're getting into. a crash is a crash whether you ding/dent alloy or crack carbon. that said, you may find this interesting:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have 3 carbon mtb frames and 2 cross frames, plus 1 road. I've not broken any of them. I crash, from time to time. Hasn't been an issue yet. I suspect it may, one day. But so far, it hasn't been a problem.

Most of these companies are good with replacing broken frames I believe. But IDK for sure. And I'd rather not find out.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The only issue I ever had with my carbon XC bike was the epoxy that held the bottom-bracket housing broke twice in seven years. Both times the frame was warrantied without a problem. The only other issue I ever had was not ride-related -- about seven or eight years ago, when I was living in an apartment complex, a lady ran over it in the parking lot and snap the frame. But on the trail, I put it through hell and never had anything crack. I tend to be hard on parts, so I think that speaks to the how strong carbon can be (mine was an OCLV Trek 9.9.)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes on carbon for road. no on carbon for mtb. imo.

I have 2yrs of racing on my aluminum cdale flash 29er. I have dings, dents and scrath's on it but it holds up. This would not be the case if it were carbon. I ride my mtb a lot in rocks so to me its not worth breaking it and having to pay for another.

IMO unless you're a weight weenie or have to have the latest and greatest or have a lot of money, carbon mtb's are risky.

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
If you smash a carbon frame on some rocks to the point it's unridable... riding bikes will be way low on the priority list for ya ... ie: amberlamps!
I watched a feller smash away on a CF road frame with a ballpeen hammer for quite sometime before it failed.
I have a 2013 carbon Epic that had aluminum seat and chainstays .... I beat the dick off that bike and the aluminum chainstay broke! replaced with full carbon rear and waiting to see how that holds up.
I give carbon a big thumbs up!

Pat

I have a carbon road frame that has been great. No problems at all. My misfit has been great. But now looking for a geared bike to ride up north jersey. CF bad idea for the rock gardens? You guys with the CF bikes do you ride up north or just allaire or 6mr (where there are a lot less rocks) with them? As long as i keep rub side down i will be fine i guess.

Blair

I ride waywayanda, mahlon, allamuchy, chimney rock, lewis, hartshorne, round valley, jungle, etc. Not a big fan of allaire or 6mi. I only go if it happens to be convenient, or better than nothing. I guess I've pretty much brought it everywhere. Unfortunately I rarely fall so not much testing on that end. I can say that rocks fly up and bounce off the frame from time to time and no issues there.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've broken 3 or 4 superflys. All cracked on the top tube except for one that cracked in front of the rear brake mount.
Trek/Fisher was ok with replacing them except for the one... And eventually they did the right thing.
The good news is theres a lot of companies popping up that fix cracked carbon. There's one in Brooklyn that will do it for $200 which is a lot better than it used to be. Not sure about turn around time though.
Nothing feels like a carbon hardtail, but they can be frustrating at times. Luckily I always had a back up to ride. But if this is your only bike, I'd be nervous.

CDub

I've had a GT Force Carbon for a couple years now. I did crack a chainstay once but I drifted around a turn fast and smashed into a boulder with considerable force. Cost me about $250 for Calfee to repair. The carbon is not lighter but the way it responds to bumps and transmits the terrain to your hands is awesome.

That frame has been abused regularly at places such as Blue Mt., Ringwood/Skyline, Jungle, Wawayanda, Sprain Ridge, etc. and seen many 5'+ drops; it has held up to it all.

Pat

This wouldn't be my only bike so i would have something to ride in case i meet the ground. I think i will give it a go. Thanks for your input everyone.

Blair

I'm actually hoping mine cracks so I can get a free updated model. No dice so far, but its still awsome. Everyone should try it at some point.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm actually hoping mine cracks so I can get a free updated model. No dice so far, but its still awsome. Everyone should try it at some point.

Let me ride it for a week.

Top Bottom