Car vs me... I'll call it a draw

ellbiddy

So on my morning commute to work I was having a blast, my legs were a little sore but after about 5 miles in I was feeling great! Pedaling and enjoying the cool breeze. So as I start pulling into new brunswick I go into my caution mode as I've had some close calls here before. I was mashing away down the streets and still having a blast keeping up with traffic (city riding almost approaches the fun factor of trail riding for me). So as I was keeping up with a guy in the left lane while in the right lane I got a few chuckles and thumbs ups from people waiting at the bus stop (probably going around 30) which isn't too unusual, people get a laugh out of bikers keeping up with cars.

So as I approach an intersection I slow slightly (still keeping pace with traffic as others were slowing as well) and out of no where this guy doing 40-45 blows by me and slams on his brakes making the turn at the intersection I was entering and just takes me out. Like the ben stiller video posted up before, my slow-mo reflexes failed and I got nailed. I tried to turn in with him but I was moving too quick to stop so as he hits me my monkey reflex is to latch onto his car because I was about 90% sure I was going to slip under his wheels otherwise. So I latch on to his crossbars (it was a civic with a roof rack for bikes ironically) and suddenly I realize what I'm doing and I look down and my bike is still attached to me at the pedals and it's still rolling along. The guy freaks out and slams on his brakes, as this happens I get flung forward my bag owning his car in the process. Since my ass was hanging off the seat when he stopped I went down, but luckily it wasn't on any needles just nice soft asphalt :rolleyes:. So as I'm laying on the ground staring up thinking about what just happened all I hear is tires screeching, and I knew what he was thinking and I wanted to smash my face through his window and spit blood all over him fight club style... I get up and I see him speeding off down the road. Unluckily for him the street he turned down had a red light waiting for him. Even more unluckily for him was that on the other side of the road of the intersection was a lovely New Brunswick police officer watching the whole incident unfold. Game over for him.

I smelt the sweet scent of justice approaching and BAM, lights and sirens...the cop is after him. He passed me and I gave him the thumbs up that I was okay and he just kept going for the guy. Needless to say he picked him off at the light (while he was trying to pass the car in the straight/right lane to make a quick right turn to get away) and the cop goes nuts on him and throws him in the back of his car. Comes up to me asks me if I'm alright and that he saw the whole thing. After some formalities the cop got some info from me, but that guy was getting reamed with all sorts of legalities. I checked out my bike, not a scratch really and all I had was a little scuff on my leg since my bag broke a big chunk of my fall after latching on to this guy's car. Mentioned something about hit and run charges so I assumed his car was going to get towed. Since I was really cold I got all of my stuff out of the way, waited for whatever the cop had to give me and rolled off to work...slowly...not sure what happened after that, but I hope he got his. I don't mind if it was an accident, but the way it happened and ESPECIALLY what he did after it made me really angry :mad: I asked the cop if I could have a video of the incident to share with my friends and he laughed and said he'll see what he could do (sounded really like he was joking, but who knows!) So maybe you guys will have a video of me getting hit and latching onto moving cars sometime in the future....

Moral of the story....cops rule...guys that hit cyclists and run suck.

The Kalmyk

Yeah I saw you today crossing the train tracks on Jersey Ave...I know people by the bikes they post up on the board...not too many people have the same Jamis as you:D

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
wow crazy story, glad to hear you are ok and the cop caught the guy, that could have ended up much much worse

ellbiddy

Yeah I saw you today crossing the train tracks on Jersey Ave...I know people by the bikes they post up on the board...not too many people have the same Jamis as you:D

Should have given me a love beep :D

Edit: Then again not knowing it was you I would have probably just scoffed in your direction, but who knows maybe if I slowed down I would have missed that a-hole.

The Kalmyk

Should have given me a love beep :D

By the time I realized it was you it was too late...I wasn't quick enough to register who the bike belonged to but I did know I saw it on here...It sucks getting old, things slow down on ya whether you like it or not:eek:

You have black cloud over you or something, bro...

ellbiddy

In the end I came away fine, I've had way harder crashes on the trails, my bike came out unscathed. I'm not all that angry anymore, just don't get why some people ignore/dislike bikers so much. I'm not the suing type unless there's really something effed up going on. I really don't wish anything terrible on the guy either, I'm sure he's been through enough crap this morning to make him feel awful. Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn't get too crazy of a punishment.

Maybe Spencer will see me riding home hah, I'll be sure to keep my lights on full and my rear flashing like a mofo to not have a repeat.

ellbiddy

By the time I realized it was you it was too late...I wasn't quick enough to register who the bike belonged to but I did know I saw it on here...It sucks getting old, things slow down on ya whether you like it or not:eek:

You have black cloud over you or something, bro...

Yeah really, all the shit that's happened to me and my bikes.....if I wasn't so addicted I would think I should quit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
just don't get why some people ignore/dislike bikers so much.

I doubt he tried to hit you. He's just an idiot behind the wheel. And when he did, he went into fight or flight mode, and ran away. A lot of people run like hell in those situations. I think it's human nature. Not that it doesn't mean he's not a jerk. But I think that's what's going on here.

walter

Fourth Party
There are a lot of bikes in NB, especially over near the college end. I know whenever I'm driving through in my Pepsi wagon my head is spinning off my shoulders either looking for bikes or girls, or just the people stepping into traffic.

Glad to hear you are ok.

ellbiddy

Yeah, that's why I threw in ignore, there's no way he didn't see me. He actively sped up to pass me and cut the turn. Oh well, live and learn. This puts my cycling trip around NYC (wanted to ride all the bridges/parks in one day) on an indefinite hold :mad3:

kush

leo, glad you are OK. that's some messed up sh**. how do you get so lucky all the time ;)

take solace in the fact that this hit and run will cost him quite a bit.

sixseven

Glad you made it out ok. For me commuting by bike to the train in NB means taking illegal trails...the sidewalks. No bike lanes, and way too many drivers whose only goal is to get to work on time.
Take your time. Safety is no accident.

RNG1

Wow man I have been hearing too many bonehead driver stories lately, glad you are ok. Sounds like more than just luck, every little instinctive move you made could have had a big effect so great job. I think his sentence should be losing his licence so he is forced to ride a bike....

ellbiddy

Glad you're ok, man. Do not underestimate the amount of good luck you just had. Time to play the lottery?

I think I used it all up, especially if we assume the probabilities are independent they just multiply! :cry: Here's my one in a bajillion chance of getting hit by a car AND winning the lottery in one day.....I'll try a scratch ticket tonight and if I win big I'll donate it to jorba

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
damn dude - close call. glad you're ok - i ride NB sometimes. makes me think twice about playing in traffic.

Top Bottom