Car-spotting thread

yep, always loved the first gen Celicas
I had a '76 Celica GT that I got from a friend of my Dad's for free because it wouldn't run. We found a mouse nest in the exhaust pipe that was completely blocking it. I cut it off with a hacksaw and it fired right up, drove it away. I put a Thrush Cherry Bomb on it that came out right by the drivers door and drove it for 2 years trouble free. The clutch started to go and I sold it for $50. Winning. Looked like this but much worse:

Celica.jpg

I had a '76 Celica GT that I got from a friend of my Dad's for free because it wouldn't run. We found a mouse nest in the exhaust pipe that was completely blocking it. I cut it off with a hacksaw and it fired right up, drove it away. I put a Thrush Cherry Bomb on it that came out right by the drivers door and drove it for 2 years trouble free. The clutch started to go and I sold it for $50. Winning. Looked like this but much worse:

View attachment 112018
Nice! Came across this beauty (parked next to an R33 no less) at the Greenwhich concours public parking lot earlier this year.
9281D0BF-E215-459B-BE5E-7B0482F48BF8.jpeg

There were a few mid 70’s American cars that looked good. My 77 Monte CarloView attachment 112025
Omg I also had a 77 Monte Carlo during college. Brought it home on a trailer and got it up and running with a friend of mine who was a former Chevy mechanic. 2 months later I spun a bearing in the old 305. We found an old corvette 454 in the junkyard and dropped it in over a weekend. I ran outta cash so we popped on some header mufflers and 45 degree pipes and hacksawed some 2.5” pipe to run out behind the doors for a ghetto dual exhaust.

That thing weighed like 5000lbs but with the slap shift trans I put in it could chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd gear consistently.

A month after I finished the motor I found a junked car with the swivel buckets so we swapped the entire interior from bench seats and column shift to console on the floor.

I spent all my savings on that car to make it from a POS to a fast POS and the sold it back to the guy that helped me build it for like $500 bucks. Good times in that car and too many speeding tickets to mention. Wish I had one pic of it but it was black with red interior.

Omg I also had a 77 Monte Carlo during college. Brought it home on a trailer and got it up and running with a friend of mine who was a former Chevy mechanic. 2 months later I spun a bearing in the old 305. We found an old corvette 454 in the junkyard and dropped it in over a weekend. I ran outta cash so we popped on some header mufflers and 45 degree pipes and hacksawed some 2.5” pipe to run out behind the doors for a ghetto dual exhaust.

That thing weighed like 5000lbs but with the slap shift trans I put in it could chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd gear consistently.

A month after I finished the motor I found a junked car with the swivel buckets so we swapped the entire interior from bench seats and column shift to console on the floor.

I spent all my savings on that car to make it from a POS to a fast POS and the sold it back to the guy that helped me build it for like $500 bucks. Good times in that car and too many speeding tickets to mention. Wish I had one pic of it but it was black with red interior.
I started working at a chevy dealer in '77. A few yrs later we were replacing door hinge bushings. They would wear out and then the door sagged and would have to lift it to close.
friggin door weighed more than a civic!

I started working at a chevy dealer in '77. A few yrs later we were replacing door hinge bushings. They would wear out and then the door sagged and would have to lift it to close.
friggin door weighed more than a civic!
Haha the drivers door on mine fell off after the hinges gave out. I found a free donor car with no title and took the door from it and then painted it black with a rattle can

My car had the swivel buckets.

Just getting around to posting these. Went to the Morris Plains C&C Saturday for what’s probably the last event of the season. Worked out well for me. Gas tank was near empty so afterwords I went and got fresh bottle of sta-bil and then topped off with fresh gas. Got her home and covered and tucked away for the winter just in time for Sunday’s weather. Us poor people don’t have Florida homes to ship our cars to for the winter @rick81721 .

Attachments

• 230A33B8-D9C0-4A46-BB6C-98CF1C86BE32.jpeg
    230A33B8-D9C0-4A46-BB6C-98CF1C86BE32.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 22
  • 41BF56CD-0C19-467C-BFB8-12B627EF7917.jpeg
    41BF56CD-0C19-467C-BFB8-12B627EF7917.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 5AB62A3E-1010-4485-B442-3F17E6A9EDDD.jpeg
    5AB62A3E-1010-4485-B442-3F17E6A9EDDD.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom