Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
@Carson I was chasing a guy in a Raptor TAK today, what is that?

PS 2nd oil test - 2 qts down after 350 miles. They think it's burning and leaking oil. One more reading next Tuesday after another 200 miles.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

PS 2nd oil test - 2 qts down after 350 miles. They think it's burning and leaking oil. One more reading next Tuesday after another 200 miles.

2 qts down after 350 miles with a motor that has 10k miles on it?!?! That's some serious bullshit right there, a straight-up design flaw. Even the Car and Driver long-term 350 had serious oil burning issues. I've been following you here and others with this saga because I was considering a GT-350 as my next car, but no way man, not any more.

Dingo

What (???) 2 qt's in 350 miles? Are you freaking kidding. The blue smoke would be like rolling coal. Spark plugs fouling, compression low.

Geez, the oil burner GM's go 2000 miles per qt, and customers freak out about that.

...Found On Road Dead....

All that oil is going to F the cats.

rick81721

Lothar
2 qts down after 350 miles with a motor that has 10k miles on it?!?! That's some serious bullshit right there, a straight-up design flaw. Even the Car and Driver long-term 350 had serious oil burning issues. I've been following you here and others with this saga because I was considering a GT-350 as my next car, but no way man, not any more.
What (???) 2 qt's in 350 miles? Are you freaking kidding. The blue smoke would be like rolling coal. Spark plugs fouling, compression low.

Geez, the oil burner GM's go 2000 miles per qt, and customers freak out about that.

...Found On Road Dead....

All that oil is going to F the cats.

It's burning about 1 qt/300 miles. The leak is something new - the board I'm on some people have had oil pressure sensor leaks. There are def some oil burning motors out there but most are fine. I'll most likely get a new one - see how that one fares. Other than that I love this car.

Reactions: w_b

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I mean they are going to replace the engine...I dont understand why this is such a huge deal? Your a Porsche fanboy, did you swear off them when they had to replace EVERY engine 911 GT3 engine a few year ago? I can understand being upset if they said "hey, go fuck yourself", but seems like anyone who has had an issue is getting a new engine.

Dingo

An oil leak of 1 qt in 300 miles, the EPA would be able to follow you to your house. Spots in the driveway?

So you get a new engine? Good luck with them installing it and not creating more problems.

This is flat rate mechanics in a dealership, WE don't give a crap if it's a craped out van or Mustang. We get paid the same. All the same.

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
An oil leak of 1 qt in 300 miles, the EPA would be able to follow you to your house. Spots in the driveway?

So you get a new engine? Good luck with them installing it and not creating more problems.

This is flat rate mechanics in a dealership, WE don't give a crap if it's a craped out van or Mustang. We get paid the same. All the same.

Pretty sure this is why my last Suburban was 6 qts. low on transmission fluid after they installed a new engine.

rick81721

Lothar
I mean they are going to replace the engine...I dont understand why this is such a huge deal? Your a Porsche fanboy, did you swear off them when they had to replace EVERY engine 911 GT3 engine a few year ago? I can understand being upset if they said "hey, go fuck yourself", but seems like anyone who has had an issue is getting a new engine.

Yeah and this is no run-of-the-mill motor. At 12:1 compression with an 8200 rpm redline, it's designed to consume some oil.

Purely anecdotal but have read reports of more than 10 motor replacements and everyone is happy. This dealer has a good rep as well. Will soon find out.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

No idea what a Raptor TAK is. Sounds like a "Florida Man" creation.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

Are you fucking kidding me? At least Porsche replaced the engines, and problems solved. Even the new GT-350 motors burn an excessive amount of oil. You’d be ok paying $60-70k for a car with known issues? Yea, it’s a great car, but fuck that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Are you fucking kidding me? At least Porsche replaced the engines, and problems solved. Even the new GT-350 motors burn an excessive amount of oil. You’d be ok paying $60-70k for a car with known issues? Yea, it’s a great car, but fuck that.

my plane burns 1qt every 10 hours. that is considered within tolerance (it is a 360cuin flat 4 air cooled at 11:1) making 180 hp at 2,700rpm....
the mustang is probably faster at top end, but i regularly get to do 160mph!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my plane burns 1qt every 10 hours. that is considered within tolerance (it is a 360cuin flat 4 air cooled at 11:1) making 180 hp at 2,700rpm....
the mustang is probably faster at top end, but i regularly get to do 160mph!
I don't believe you. Take me for a flight so I'm a believer.

Dingo

Yeah and this is no run-of-the-mill motor. At 12:1 compression with an 8200 rpm redline, it's designed to consume some oil.

Purely anecdotal but have read reports of more than 10 motor replacements and everyone is happy. This dealer has a good rep as well. Will soon find out.
Really... So 42 yrs of working in dealerships, has no merit of what happens in the bays? Trust me, I do my best, it's the clowns to the left & jokers on the right.

Your broken oil consuming 12:1 8K redline makes no difference to anyone in a dealership, just another broken car fixed under warranty.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don't believe you. Take me for a flight so I'm a believer.

it isn't a noticeable thing - landing is around 100mph on approach, but touchdown is at 60, so very familiar speed.
the fun part is landing at an airport like lincoln park, where the runway looks like the size of a sidewalk.
but if you'll climb in a plane with me, i guess we are on! note, assembled bikes do not fit in plane.

rick81721

Lothar
Even the new GT-350 motors burn an excessive amount of oil. You’d be ok paying $60-70k for a car with known issues? Yea, it’s a great car, but fuck that.

Says who? And what do you consider "excessive"? BMW says their performance motors are within "standard" up to 1 qt/400 miles. Ford says 500 on this one.

rick81721

Lothar
Really... So 42 yrs of working in dealerships, has no merit of what happens in the bays? Trust me, I do my best, it's the clowns to the left & jokers on the right.

Your broken oil consuming 12:1 8K redline makes no difference to anyone in a dealership, just another broken car fixed under warranty.

So what's your point? Either they replace it and it's fine or they make a mistake and it's not. So then they fix it. I have a 70K warranty on it.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it isn't a noticeable thing - landing is around 100mph on approach, but touchdown is at 60, so very familiar speed.
the fun part is landing at an airport like lincoln park, where the runway looks like the size of a sidewalk.
but if you'll climb in a plane with me, i guess we are on! note, assembled bikes do not fit in plane.
I mostly just wanted to do some barrel rolls. In.

Top Bottom