Car-spotting thread

teabagger11

Spotted and put a deposit down on this '58 Chevy Biscayne. It's a 4 door and a 235 I-6 but a total time capsule. It's going to my dad but I may have to turn some wrenches on it while it's at my house ;) Side note: there was a '58 Chevy in American Graffiti that I'd watch with my dad as a young one. The AG one was a white 2 door with a V8 (283?) but I thought that was pretty rad.

The original powerglide instructions on the sun visor blew me away! I didn't get picture of it but the jack is all in the same stock position and in as new condition. Frame and floors had no rust.
Sweet

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Someone on the bimmer forums put it well a while back in the never ending debate on DCT vs 6MT. “Lots of people just want to go fast, I prefer to be busy”. 👍
I think a better word choice than "busy" would be "involved" or "engaged", but still get what he means and agree. I raced motocross from my mid teens well into my late 20s', did some motorcycle road racing too, 5 of the 7 cars I've owned were manual. Anything for fun should be manual for me. I don't deny that DCT can be quicker, just don't care. I test drove and am looking to buy a Lexus rc350 f sport, no manual available :(. Maybe I'll change my mind when I own one and get some time in it, but I'm guessing I'll never touch its' paddles.

Captain Brainstorm

I think a better word choice than "busy" would be "involved" or "engaged", but still get what he means and agree. I raced motocross from my mid teens well into my late 20s', did some motorcycle road racing too, 5 of the 7 cars I've owned were manual. Anything for fun should be manual for me. I don't deny that DCT can be quicker, just don't care. I test drove and am looking to buy a Lexus rc350 f sport, no manual available :(. Maybe I'll change my mind when I own one and get some time in it, but I'm guessing I'll never touch its' paddles.
I think that "fun" and "engagement" are relative terms. I've driven manual transmissions my entire life, ride motorcycles, and currently have a GTI with DSG and an old v8 S4 with a manual. To me, going fast is fun and engaging. On the one hand, there's nothing like matching revs with a manual, but on the other hand the DSG is a sequential gear box like on my motorcycle, so there is still the timing that you need to get right. I drive the GTI 99% of the time with paddles. Sure it rev matches automatically, but so do most modern manuals (you can turn that feature off on most cars though). I've driven some Porsches with the PDK, and I can't say that they weren't fun, or more or less fun than the manual version of the same car. I can say that the DSG/PDK versions are faster than the manual versions, but more or less fun? I don't know. Also, its worth noting that almost all modern Ferraris, Lambos, MacLarens, etc. are all DSG/PDK, whatever acronym they use, and is anyone complaining that those cars aren't fun or engaging?

ebarker9

Also, its worth noting that almost all modern Ferraris, Lambos, MacLarens, etc. are all DSG/PDK, whatever acronym they use, and is anyone complaining that those cars aren't fun or engaging?

There are a lot of auto journalists and internet warriors pining for the days of the F40, McLaren F1 for exactly that reason...the newer cars with all of their controls aren't as fun and engaging. I think that's ridiculous, but people will always complain about something (not having driven any of those cars).

Captain Brainstorm

There are a lot of auto journalists and internet warriors pining for the days of the F40, McLaren F1 for exactly that reason...the newer cars with all of their controls aren't as fun and engaging. I think that's ridiculous, but people will always complain about something (not having driven any of those cars).
Seems to me that most of the people who are doing the pining have never driven or had any of those vehicles. I think that driving a car like that would be like a rollercoaster ride, all the internet videos I've ever seen is someone coming out of a car line that smiling ear to ear.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After more than a year with the PDK-S, I can say it's engaging, just in a different way. It is so blisteringly fast it makes me giggle. There are certainly times I miss the extra engagement of a manual and there are times I am very happy I have a PDK. Having owned both, it's a tough decision. For a weekend cruiser, manual wins. But it's not a landslide.

The GLI DSG is good but nowhere near PDK-S good. But even the new ZF 8-speed Bimmers are pretty damn good today.

iman29

My wife’s 2019 Odyssey has 280hp with a 10sp transmission and paddle shifters. and she rarely lets me drive it after I showed her what sport manual mode is and smoked the tires thru 2nd gear. It might be a minivan but that it totally fun and engaging.

Yea I said it. Minivan and fun and engaging in the same sentence. If I took you for a ride in it you would be shocked how it feels considering what it is.

iman29

Today during my drive say this dealer plate Volvo T6 something something looked nice for a Volvo I guess.

Then when I got home I walked the dog and I figured this person clearly thought the new law that went into effect is the 4 foot parking rule not the 4 foot passing rule. 🤪
636A6536-8474-469D-A580-3FEF1EB45E29.jpeg5748CEE7-01E0-462A-85D7-B2EB67054AF5.jpeg

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I hope to get some pictures of the van in the wild. Picture below was sent by the salesperson telling me it was ready for pickup yesterday. Van is a Winnebago Revel. No mods/additions yet. Though I'm looking through the Owl Vans, Canyon Adventure Vans, and other Revel accessory web sites.

Not certain, but I think mine might be the same van in this video.

Only two days with it. But can say that it drives nice. I had checked out another major manufacturers Sprinter offering (closer dealer). It had some good options. But fell short for me on bed size.

IMG_1879.jpgyet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom