Car-spotting thread

Dingo

Didn't need no stinkin car seats or seat belts for that matter.
This wagon actually had seat belts. Dad tells the story about the '58 chevy. We were going to drive to florida, he thought it was a good idea to install seat belts. Headed over to Sears (in Watchung) and when he drilled into the floor of the chevy the drill just pushed into the rusty floor boards. Took the belts back to sears and bought the wagon new off the showroom floor.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I absolutely love how many versions of the same car they made during this era......walk into the dealer...can I get a 57 chevy wagon? what kind? we make 5 different versions

57 chevy for example
1614565077023.png

So funny just thinking about all the different amount of trim chevy had to make just for this one line of cars, its crazy..

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I absolutely love how many versions of the same car they made during this era......walk into the dealer...can I get a 57 chevy wagon? what kind? we make 5 different versions

57 chevy for example
View attachment 152839

So funny just thinking about all the different amount of trim chevy had to make just for this one line of cars, its crazy..
Plus it all changed the next year! Most body styles now go at least 4- 6 years before a major change.

Reactions: don

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was the Bel Air the most common? I never hear someone say '57 "Two Ten"

Doesn't really look like different body styles, just different trim. I noticed a few years back there was the solid side trim pieces, and then the thinner metal side pieces. Now I guess I know why.

Dingo

Looks like 210 4 door was the highest seller.
Also, the wagons had models with tail gates, or with hatches. Some hatches open from the side or swung up. Their were certain sedan deliverys made for the us forestry service that had glass windows on the rear side windows like a wagon , but with sedan delivery swing up tail gate.
I like the 150's bottom of the line. No flashy chrome, just the understated style. They did not even have arms rests on the front doos, and heat was an option.
Speaking of options, you could order the 150 with the 283 FI engine, posi rear, 3-speed on the column with over drive. It was a sleeper with dog dish hubcaps and no radio/heater. A muscle car before the word was invented.

150 2dr Sedan
150 2dr Utility Sedan8,817
150 4dr Sedan56,418
150 2dr Delivery Sedan8,907
150 2dr Handyman Wagon15,087
210 2dr Sedan162,851
210 2dr Hardtop Sport Coupe23,092
210 4dr Sedan273,696
210 4dr Townsman Wagon128,941
210 4dr Hardtop Sport Sedan18,206
210 4dr Beauville Wagon23,862
210 2dr Delray Club Coupe25,952
210 2dr Handyman Wagon17,996
Bel Air 2dr Sedan62,942
Bel Air 4dr Sedan264,449
Bel Air 4dr Townsman Wagon27,822
Bel Air 4dr Hardtop Sport Sedan142,518
Bel Air 2dr Nomad Wagon6,264
Bel Air 2dr Convertible48,068
Bel Air 2dr Hardtop Sport Coupe168,293
Total 1957 Production1,555,316

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was the Bel Air the most common? I never hear someone say '57 "Two Ten"

Doesn't really look like different body styles, just different trim. I noticed a few years back there was the solid side trim pieces, and then the thinner metal side pieces. Now I guess I know why.
Usually I would hear them reffered to as a post car or a 210 post... My dad had a 210 as his first car and that's what he used to call it
Total 1957 Production
Wow, 1.5m Jesus christ.... Now granted, it's not like chevy had the line up it does today in terms of different models... But that's an insane amount of cars.

And the Ala carte options was the best....

Dingo

Usually I would hear them reffered to as a post car or a 210 post... My dad had a 210 as his first car and that's what he used to call it

Wow, 1.5m Jesus christ.... Now granted, it's not like chevy had the line up it does today in terms of different models... But that's an insane amount of cars.

And the Ala carte options was the best....
That's only 4109.6 per day. The factorys were cranking. That does not include truck.
Other differences, west coast mfg cars had 1 piece front bumpers, the rest had 3 pieces. There were also west coast frames that were fully boxed like the convertible frames.
All this before computers, just a slide rule and a lot of expertice

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All this before computers, just a slide rule and a lot of expertice

also before govt mandated crumple zones, air bags, power everything and all the other shit that just adds unnecessary weight to the car. It lead to alot of overbuilt (structurally) frames and such, which doesnt happen anymore since everyone wants to save money on materials and mfg so they design to such slim margins now.

mfennell

So, my friend was out in his 617rwhp 997 GT2 when there was a clunk and the oil light came on...
gt2-rod.jpg
It's at Bodymotion getting fixed and updated from 3.6 to 3.8L. Hopefully 650rwhp when it's done.

Finally finished the valve covers gaskets in my 360. Only took 3 months... Part of that was waiting on a couple parts from Italy. The rest was on me. :). I picked up a cool vacuum coolant filler. You draw a vacuum on the system, then open a valve and the coolant gets sucked in. No bleeding required!
coolant-fill.jpg

Dingo

So, my friend was out in his 617rwhp 997 GT2 when there was a clunk and the oil light came on...
View attachment 152867
It's at Bodymotion getting fixed and updated from 3.6 to 3.8L. Hopefully 650rwhp when it's done.

Finally finished the valve covers gaskets in my 360. Only took 3 months... Part of that was waiting on a couple parts from Italy. The rest was on me. :). I picked up a cool vacuum coolant filler. You draw a vacuum on the system, then open a valve and the coolant gets sucked in. No bleeding required!
I have one of those, it works great to fill the tricky ones that get air bound. I stopped using it due to too many water pumps would leak afterwards. As it was being evacuated, could hear it pop. Then once running the pump was pissin coolant. I also had an older brass radiator collapse the tank. Kinda hard to sell a pump after the first price quote, and had to do a few for free. So F that!

mfennell

I have one of those, it works great to fill the tricky ones that get air bound. I stopped using it due to too many water pumps would leak afterwards. As it was being evacuated, could hear it pop. Then once running the pump was pissin coolant. I also had an older brass radiator collapse the tank. Kinda hard to sell a pump after the first price quote, and had to do a few for free. So F that!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Funny thing - I ran the car for 20 minutes w/o a drop of coolant, watching everything like a hawk, then came out the next morning to find coolant splattered all over my wife's 318. My mind immediately went to "oh shit, I drew to much vacuum and pulled something apart". It turned out I simply didn't tighten a hose clamp enough. I know the pros use the vacuum technique with the car (I didn't even know the tool existed until one of them told me), so I *think* it's OK.

Dingo

Thanks for the heads-up.

Funny thing - I ran the car for 20 minutes w/o a drop of coolant, watching everything like a hawk, then came out the next morning to find coolant splattered all over my wife's 318. My mind immediately went to "oh shit, I drew to much vacuum and pulled something apart". It turned out I simply didn't tighten a hose clamp enough. I know the pros use the vacuum technique with the car (I didn't even know the tool existed until one of them told me), so I *think* it's OK.
The factories use the vacuum method, even for brake fluid. So it's most likely these pumps were on the way out anyway. But, try telling that to the customer after they agreed to the repair price. Friggin pumps plus labor can easily reach $600 for a simple belt driven pump. Timing chain drive pumps can go over $1500++. I'll fill it the slow old fashioned way, been burnt too many times.

Top Bottom