Car-spotting thread

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I understand that speed isn't everything, but it is a big factor. There is a reason that "sport" models have more power, right? It isn't like the M2 (or the C8, I'm assuming), are slouches in the handling department. If it comes down a car with slightly worse handling that is significantly faster (2.8 sec 0-60 is significantly faster than 4.2 or even 3.8), then I'm taking the faster car every time. If power doesn't matter then why aren't there any 200 hp Porsche's currently out there?
P.S. The C8 is also ~$30K less too.
P.P.S. I would love to own/drive any Porsche and still have hopes to do so. ?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First of all, you're not getting that car for $90k. That is unless you want one without Nav, a decent radio (the stock radio doesn't belong in a $30k car), manual heat/ac, etc. The current 2.5 GTS was pushing 90 with shit for content. For $90k, you're better off getting the previous generation GT4. And you'll still get smoked by every shmo that got a base C8 (even C7), on the road and track, never mind the flat-plane Z06 that will be coming out. Not saying the Cayman isn't a great car, its just way over-priced (like all Porsches).

I understand but clearly you don't know me lol. No nav is fine with me, don't care about auto climate control...I built up a new 718 GT4; the only thing I added was the 18-ways. To me, they are supposed to be driver's cars. I don't need soccer mom options in my weekend sports car. Hell, I don't even have a backup camera in my M2 and if NAV wasn't standard there's no way in hell I would have paid extra for it. But $90K for a stripper is ridiculous. I get it. I really am just dreaming here.

Honestly, any Cayman is probably a touch too small for me. I think I'd rather a 991 C2S or GTS for $90K. More comfy and I'd really miss the low end grunt of a turbo if I went with a NA F6.

The only REAL money I'll spend on cars this year: black grilles, side markers, and exhaust tips for an updated look for 2020.

1579797320054.png

1579797360292.png

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is why Ford did the whole application/raffle thing to select the owners....I mean I know it sounds kind of lame on the surface...but if you dont do it this way, the market would set the price at 1M plus from day 1. They would have all left the factory, went to the new owners (who over paid whatever dealer ADM to get them) right to the auction block for more profit.

The viper v10 is a good sound, but its not as good as the audi/lambo v10..

I stopped an Orange R8 V10 last summer for speeding. @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST apparently does the maintenance on the car. Beautiful car. Very OCD owner. Sounded glorious. He gave me a few revs, so I wrote him for no front plate. I think both of us left happy.

qclabrat

any truth to Turbos costing a lot more for insurance than the S or GTS? Was also looking at Nissan GTRs, but they are annually on top of the most expensive cars to insure. Call me cheap, but I can't justify paying thousands more for a weekend car.

Captain Brainstorm

I understand but clearly you don't know me lol. No nav is fine with me, don't care about auto climate control...I built up a new 718 GT4; the only thing I added was the 18-ways. To me, they are supposed to be driver's cars. I don't need soccer mom options in my weekend sports car. Hell, I don't even have a backup camera in my M2 and if NAV wasn't standard there's no way in hell I would have paid extra for it. But $90K for a stripper is ridiculous. I get it. I really am just dreaming here.

Honestly, any Cayman is probably a touch too small for me. I think I'd rather a 991 C2S or GTS for $90K. More comfy and I'd really miss the low end grunt of a turbo if I went with a NA F6.

The only REAL money I'll spend on cars this year: black grilles, side markers, and exhaust tips for an updated look for 2020.

View attachment 117073

View attachment 117074

I'm with ya man. Having driven various Caymans, C2S, and C4S, the the 911 is the way to go. Another option I like is the certified AMG GT-S. Same price range, the fit and finish is flawless, interior is way better, and the whole package feels more exotic. And amazing V8 sound.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
any truth to Turbos costing a lot more for insurance than the S or GTS? Was also looking at Nissan GTRs, but they are annually on top of the most expensive cars to insure. Call me cheap, but I can't justify paying thousands more for a weekend car.

No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me based just on the MSRPs of the Turbos.

I'm with ya man. Having driven various Caymans, C2S, and C4S, the the 911 is the way to go. Another option I like is the certified AMG GT-S. Same price range, the fit and finish is flawless, interior is way better, and the whole package feels more exotic. And amazing V8 sound.

Never was drawn to the GT-S but it is a helluva car.

Captain Brainstorm

The Turbo is only 35K more, all things considered, not really that much more

I've tried RH steering and it can't be done with my dyslexia

A guy at my gym went through a lot of gymnastics and contortion to import an early JDM GT-R. The car is spectacular, lives up to the glorious hype, but a money pit. Something is always needing repair, and the prices always start at $1000+. And he hasn’t even modded it yet.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A guy at my gym went through a lot of gymnastics and contortion to import an early JDM GT-R. The car is spectacular, lives up to the glorious hype, but a money pit. Something is always needing repair, and the prices always start at $1000+. And he hasn’t even modded it yet.
Was it younger than 25 years? I don't know the entire process, but as long as its over 25 years old, you can bring pretty much anything in. The prices from importers that do the work for you aren't terrible sometimes though. I also know some not-so-legal ones from back in the day when people got VINs from junked 240sx's, etc. as it was basically just shown as a '1992 Nissan 2 Door' or something of the sort. As of this year, you could technically import in the first year R33's.

qclabrat

P.S. The C8 is also ~$30K less too.
P.P.S. I would love to own/drive any Porsche and still have hopes to do so. ?
Does anyone happen to know the actual availability of the C8s? Convertibles went on preorder last week and all I get from google is that coupes are sold out based on pre-orders. I know many downpayments will not materialize, but waiting till October for a car doesn't appeal to me

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone happen to know the actual availability of the C8s? Convertibles went on preorder last week and all I get from google is that coupes are sold out based on pre-orders. I know many downpayments will not materialize, but waiting till October for a car doesn't appeal to me

October isn't bad based on your bike builds. :)

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Did you check Kerbeck? I think they had 800 C8 allocations.

Top Bottom