Car-spotting thread

Captain Brainstorm

Stayed up and watched the Corvette reveal last night. Car looked great, I think the rear could have been better integrated, but there isn’t a new car out there right now that looks good from every angle to me. Close to 500hp, sub 3sec 0-60 in the base car. They say it will start under $60k, but I imagine with the options you want more like $70-75. If the car drives well, the interior feels as good as it looks, and the whole thing holds up, game changer. Why buy a used Cayman or 718 instead of this? The Z06 and ZR1 will be ridiculous.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Stayed up and watched the Corvette reveal last night. Car looked great, I think the rear could have been better integrated, but there isn’t a new car out there right now that looks good from every angle to me. Close to 500hp, sub 3sec 0-60 in the base car. They say it will start under $60k, but I imagine with the options you want more like $70-75. If the car drives well, the interior feels as good as it looks, and the whole thing holds up, game changer. Why buy a used Cayman or 718 instead of this? The Z06 and ZR1 will be ridiculous.

Wish there was a manual option. maybe there will be down the line, but I can also see why they went with the flappy paddles to get that 0-60 time. Bet the C7 will be deeply discounted now.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I see a little Ferrari and NSX but the interior is horrendous! That's one hella side table.

drive a slow car fast vs drive a fast car slow?
P cars mentioned have depreciated already?
Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with that switch row thing. At least you don't have to worry about the passenger bothering you. On the other hand, no chance to get lucky either. ;)

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Why buy a used Cayman or 718 instead of this? The Z06 and ZR1 will be ridiculous.

Because in the end it’s still just a corvette. They’ll be a million of them on the road in no time. Just like a Camaro or mustang. Why do people here buy a yeti/intense/pivot instead of a trek/cannondale/specialized etc? Because it’s more enjoyable to have something more unique. Make a top of the line vette, no base models, and produce 10k units a year and they’d be more desirable. Exclusivity increases desirability.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why do people here buy a yeti/intense/pivot instead of a trek/cannondale/specialized etc? Because it’s more enjoyable to have something more unique.

Was pretty sure because often it can be a better bike...

Many people shy away from Trek/Cannondale/Specialized because of weird proprietary standards....

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG

Many people shy away from Trek/Cannondale/Specialized because of weird proprietary standards....

After several boutique brand bikes (Intense, Ventana twice) all of which developed cracks afterthe 2 year warranty :confused: I went back to the Big S and C for the lifetime 1st owner frame warranty. That said I do agree the Pivot and Santa Cruz bikes are awesome and now they come with 10 and lifetime warranties respectively. So when I’m ready for my next one, I’ll have more choices.

mfennell

After several boutique brand bikes (Intense, Ventana twice) all of which developed cracks afterthe 2 year warranty :confused: I went back to the Big S and C for the lifetime 1st owner frame warranty.
I used to say I'd never spend big $$$$ on anything from a major manufacturer and that's how I wound up with 2 bikes from companies that no longer exist (Merlin and Asylum [which was made by Titus]) and one from a company no longer imported (Kuota).

When the dropouts on my Kuota started to fail from internal corrosion it was an easy decision to replace it with a bike from the Big S.

On topic, I think Chevy knocked it out of the park.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes

I agree with both your points. How much better would be debated bike to bike. My point was more that I’d guess that the average person gets more enjoyment out of owning a boutique bike and the “ooh look at that’s” that can come with it then then the amount they are able the extract the “better” out of it. As far as propriety parts agree again with you I was just throwing out random brands.

qclabrat

I see a little Ferrari and NSX but the interior is horrendous! That's one hella side table.

drive a slow car fast vs drive a fast car slow?
P cars mentioned have depreciated already?
Had the same conversation on a Vette forum. It has the feel of a first class seat with less leg room. Also what's with that silly roll of buttons. That's so last gen Panamera.

rick81721

Lothar

I like it. Yeah the rear end looks a little too much like the Camaro, but other than that - wow. Inside aesthetics I don't care as much about. Not symmetrical but looks like a spaceship cockpit.

I'd buy one

Top Bottom