Car-spotting thread

Target at bridgewater.
Looks like electrify america chargers.
Just like bigger and fatter mtbs, EVs are being forced on ya. I wouldnt buy a new gas car anytime soon. Used values are going to plummet Like 26ers.
EACF1A9D-129D-4F7E-850F-BE06267580AD.jpeg

EVs are being forced on ya.
nothing is ever forced....one becomes better and cheaper and thus takes over....same way gas cars took over from electric cars originally. When an EV will go 300 miles and take less than 5 min to recharge and cost the same (say a bolt costing roughly the same 18k that my focus did)...Then they will take over. They are getting closer tho...My coworker only shelled out 60k for his model 3 and with a $2000 charger he can recharge it in 5 hours.

Target at bridgewater.
Just like bigger and fatter mtbs, EVs are being forced on ya. I wouldnt buy a new gas car anytime soon. Used values are going to plummet Like 26ers.

Yeah, right. Most cars are essentially appliances to get you to the trailhead. Well, except for my 25yo and 54yo vehicles - those you'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers! And I'll continue to fill their tanks until fossil fuels come from the moon...

@UtahJoe Well, your coworker coulda just opted a few hunred bucks for a 240V outlet but he was a sucker.
It will be forced by mid-2020. Happy now? By then all major manufacturer's will only be making EVs or nearly ending their ICE cars. If you travel solo like 100% of the time 5min at gas station is still nearly impossible. When with a group or family, when have you ever spent 5 min at the gas station on a road trip? That's not the reality of EV charging on long trips. Plug it in walk away, pee, grab something to eat for yourself or everyone. Car is nearly done charging for next leg. "Locally" 60 miles out and 60 miles back. No need to stop to charge. Just charge at home at night. So much fuss for nothing. 4 years of a few EVs through the family ownership and racked 50,000 miles altogether. However, EV owners without home charging option is tough. If you need to travel 600miles over the weekend. Gas car are still an option. What a great peaceful world this is.

@THATmanMANNY Depends where you live I guess, I can easily fill up in 5 minutes, even 20 gallons for the V8 :). And I think you are correct about the direction of EV for the masses. But if you live in the country, take long-haul trips or travel remotely, no dice.

I still want Hydrogen fuel cells...

@UtahJoe Well, your coworker coulda just opted a few hunred bucks for a 240V outlet but he was a sucker.
It will be forced by mid-2020. Happy now? By then all major manufacturer's will only be making EVs or nearly ending their ICE cars. If you travel solo like 100% of the time 5min at gas station is still nearly impossible. When with a group or family, when have you ever spent 5 min at the gas station on a road trip? That's not the reality of EV charging on long trips. Plug it in walk away, pee, grab something to eat for yourself or everyone. Car is nearly done charging for next leg. "Locally" 60 miles out and 60 miles back. No need to stop to charge. Just charge at home at night. So much fuss for nothing. 4 years of a few EVs through the family ownership and racked 50,000 miles altogether. However, EV owners without home charging option is tough. If you need to travel 600miles over the weekend. Gas car are still an option. What a great peaceful world this is.

always thought they would have a permanently mounted battery, and a short-haul replaceable pack - kinda, pull up, a robot pulls the current one, reads if it is valid, swaps in another - off ya go. auto pay, ya don't even get out of the car. maybe it is like a car-wash, and the car moves on a sled, just to keep everything moving along.

or see above!

Target at bridgewater.

Despite what the media may want to sell you, the "masses" aren't clamoring for EV's:

1) They're expensive. And the cheaper ones are ugly, but still not really cheap. No one wants to pay a lot of money for an ugly car.
2) Contrary to popular belief, traditional ICE manufacturers will not transition to all EV, because they actually want to stay in business and make money.
3) No one wants take two 30min. stops on a 350 mile road trip. They want to gas up in 5min. and leave. Highway rest areas are nasty.
4) This is only a discussion on the crowded coasts and bigger cities. In between, there are bigger distances to travel between destinations, and no one really even seriously considers EV's.
5) If you want to help the environment, pick up the trash next time your ride, recycle, and don't litter. Cars aren't polluting the planet, its the 8 billion people who need to eat, heat their homes, spend their disposable income on cheap imported crap, and have electricity for lights and posting on Instagram and Facebook every 5min.

Despite what the media may want to sell you, the "masses" aren't clamoring for EV's:

1) They're expensive. And the cheaper ones are ugly, but still not really cheap. No one wants to pay a lot of money for an ugly car.
2) Contrary to popular belief, traditional ICE manufacturers will not transition to all EV, because they actually want to stay in business and make money.
3) No one wants take two 30min. stops on a 350 mile road trip. They want to gas up in 5min. and leave. Highway rest areas are nasty.
4) This is only a discussion on the crowded coasts and bigger cities. In between, there are bigger distances to travel between destinations, and no one really even seriously considers EV's.
5) If you want to help the environment, pick up the trash next time your ride, recycle, and don't litter. Cars aren't polluting the planet, its the 8 billion people who need to eat, heat their homes, spend their disposable income on cheap imported crap, and have electricity for lights and posting on Instagram and Facebook every 5min.

why not an add-on distance pack to cover the longer distances - doesn't need to be carried around?
stations to swap distance packs would be correctly positioned to optimize time/recharge availability.

do you think car sharing at the end points, with a more mass-transit approach will be adopted?
when everything is self driving, will it matter? will there be an up-charge available for priority routing? no need to actually own your own car,
get an ebike.

if car sharing/self driving - then 2 people will get a 2 person car, no extra car to lug around.
will they have windows?

personally, i want to run the "woops, out of battery business"

2020? lol...come on man. There were 361,000 EV cars sold last year in the US vs 17.2 million ICE cars. At this point, they are not making a dent, or even a small scratch. Again, when I can spend less than 25k and get one that will go 300 miles, and be recharged in a reasonable amount of time then you can start using terms like "take over". Im seriously not hating on them, when I can get one to replace my focus, I will buy one. Im just not spending that kind of money for a commuter car when everything you drive on a daily basis in this state will eventually get destroyed. And for 60k +...my toy is going to sounds like @rick81721 s car.

why not an add-on distance pack to cover the longer distances - doesn't need to be carried around?
stations to swap distance packs would be correctly positioned to optimize time/recharge availability.

do you think car sharing at the end points, with a more mass-transit approach will be adopted?
when everything is self driving, will it matter? will there be an up-charge available for priority routing? no need to actually own your own car,
get an ebike.

if car sharing/self driving - then 2 people will get a 2 person car, no extra car to lug around.
will they have windows?

personally, i want to run the "woops, out of battery business"

All good ideas, but purely theoretical. I'm still waiting on my jet pack and flying car that I was supposed to have back in 2000. I think car-sharing can work, but it will be niche. I also think we are way off for self-driving, especially with the roads getting more crowded. The tech and infrastructure just isn't there.

Battery swapping sounds more practical, but aren't current EV's batteries basically a thousand smaller cells put together, and are big and heavy?
Current EV’s aren’t built for that quick swap. Also, you need gas stations, or whatever you want to call these swapping locations, to be 50,000+ square foot facilities to house and charge all of these things, and they need to be almost everywhere gas stations are.

Battery tech needs to really revolutionize to get the equivalent amount of power out of a tiny cell. Sure there are experimental cells out there that may be getting close, but nothing close to ready for prime time. We need a little something better than the current lithium cell state of the art. And to go purely EV, we need to a revolution on how we generate power, beyond coal, nuclear, and hydro. Wind and solar aren’t going to really cut it either without an accompanying revolution in battery tech.

And you also have to consider that alot people (probably most of the people in this thread) like the sound of a revving engine and the smell burning fuel.

We just went from NJ to Richmond VA for a race weekend. An electric car would have ruined the drive down and back.

We drove from Morristown to Richmond on one tank of gas, ~346 miles door to door. We took the longer no-toll way down. We stopped at a gas station across the street from the restaurant we ate at. About $50 in gas for the whole trip.

The only stops we made was at one (maybe two?) Paneras off the highway for a cup of coffee and to use the bathroom and to eat a snack.

My AirBnB didn't exactly have a charging station in the street.

All good ideas, but purely theoretical. I'm still waiting on my jet pack and flying car that I was supposed to have back in 2000. I think car-sharing can work, but it will be niche. I also think we are way off for self-driving, especially with the roads getting more crowded. The tech and infrastructure just isn't there.

Battery swapping sounds more practical, but aren't current EV's batteries basically a thousand smaller cells put together, and are big and heavy?
Current EV’s aren’t built for that quick swap. Also, you need gas stations, or whatever you want to call these swapping locations, to be 50,000+ square foot facilities to house and charge all of these things, and they need to be almost everywhere gas stations are.

Battery tech needs to really revolutionize to get the equivalent amount of power out of a tiny cell. Sure there are experimental cells out there that may be getting close, but nothing close to ready for prime time. We need a little something better than the current lithium cell state of the art. And to go purely EV, we need to a revolution on how we generate power, beyond coal, nuclear, and hydro. Wind and solar aren’t going to really cut it either without an accompanying revolution in battery tech.

And you also have to consider that alot people (probably most of the people in this thread) like the sound of a revving engine and the smell burning fuel.

i envision the batteries being replaced from the bottom as a "pack" - all robotic - so the area underneath the station is where the recharging happens.
could be associated with a wind farm, and/or solar farm, along with grid attached. replaceable packs also allow for battery improvements.
management would be all about queuing theory/statistical models. enough batteries would also create a great storage unit for b/u power.

lots of cool stuff if they can get it together - probably some critical mass that needs to happen.
i'm lucky enough to get to read about some of the stuff on the horizon because part of my spouses job is billing in the telematics space.

burning jet fuel and nitromethane !

2020? lol...come on man. There were 361,000 EV cars sold last year in the US vs 17.2 million ICE cars. At this point, they are not making a dent, or even a small scratch. Again, when I can spend less than 25k and get one that will go 300 miles, and be recharged in a reasonable amount of time then you can start using terms like "take over". Im seriously not hating on them, when I can get one to replace my focus, I will buy one. Im just not spending that kind of money for a commuter car when everything you drive on a daily basis in this state will eventually get destroyed. And for 60k +...my toy is going to sounds like @rick81721 s car.

In the year 2121, if man has not succumbed, cars on gas will not run, only energy will be from the sun

Back
Top Bottom