Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
Finally got pics of the prius I always see at the local Publix with drift decals:

20190114_162730.jpg

20190114_162736.jpg

Parked a few cars away was this clean wrx sti

20190114_162753.jpg

And for @Carson, passed a real, all black X5M today - he didn't want to play tho

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yeah I watched the reveal live. Haven't seen the supra reveal yet

I don’t know man, I don’t think you missed much. I think Toyota blew it, they should have developed their own car, not shared with BMW. I mean come, they know how to build fast cars, they could have cribbed some tech from Lexus too. And a slush box, not even a DCT, in a 2-seat sports car?

rick81721

Lothar
I don’t know man, I don’t think you missed much. I think Toyota blew it, they should have developed their own car, not shared with BMW. I mean come, they know how to build fast cars, they could have cribbed some tech from Lexus too. And a slush box, not even a DCT, in a 2-seat sports car?

Just checked it out, yeah nothing special and don't like how it looks.

One car I'm interested in seeing is the new ME vette. Was never a fan of the new ones, but the camo mules they've gotten pics of really look badass.

rick81721

Lothar
Speaking of cars, I gotta meet a guy that moved into our development. I've driven by his place a few times, his 3 car garage has lifts in 2 of the bays. He's got 2 Porsche 911s stacked in one bay, a 60s GTO and motorcycle stacked in a second bay, a chevelle (I think) in the 3rd bay, then a new truck and chevy SSR parked in the driveway.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Speaking of cars, I gotta meet a guy that moved into our development. I've driven by his place a few times, his 3 car garage has lifts in 2 of the bays. He's got 2 Porsche 911s stacked in one bay, a 60s GTO and motorcycle stacked in a second bay, a chevelle (I think) in the 3rd bay, then a new truck and chevy SSR parked in the driveway.

do you have the headroom for a lift and drive under?
the drive on, with catch pan are not terribly expensive, and can store your project car!

rick81721

Lothar
do you have the headroom for a lift and drive under?
the drive on, with catch pan are not terribly expensive, and can store your project car!

Same model house so it should be the same, unless he modified his ceiling. Ours is 10 ft. He obviously ditched the original door openers

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Same model house so it should be the same, unless he modified his ceiling. Ours is 10 ft. He obviously ditched the original door openers

did some research on this awhile back - if your door uses a tension springs, switching to a jackshaft opener isn't terrible. then there are rail extension kits to get the door up close to the ceiling. they recommended a drive on lift, with removable center pan, so nothing drips on the car below.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Forget about oil burning, this thing looks and sounds like a total beast, play the video. Toyota picked the wrong time to reveal its Z4 with this thing in the room stealing its thunder.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-mustang-gt500-shelby-sounds-filthy-detroit-auto-show/
im amazed at how similar it sounds to @rick81721 gt350. Not a huge fan of the giant grille, but anything with this much power is going to have to have massive opening somewhere for cooling. That said, I think combined with the flared fenders/quarters, hood...it works.

And ya...the supra looks nice, I think did a good job with the body...But its a z4 with a different body...to me this is not something Supra fans are going to get excited about. I mean when the old 2jz TT supra came out....while its was 2.5 times the price of a mustang, it did have 100 more horsepower. Now its the same price as a mustang GT and has nearly 100 less. Albeit its lighter. I just cant see Toyota selling a ton of these.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
im amazed at how similar it sounds to @rick81721 gt350. Not a huge fan of the giant grille, but anything with this much power is going to have to have massive opening somewhere for cooling. That said, I think combined with the flared fenders/quarters, hood...it works.

And ya...the supra looks nice, I think did a good job with the body...But its a z4 with a different body...to me this is not something Supra fans are going to get excited about. I mean when the old 2jz TT supra came out....while its was 2.5 times the price of a mustang, it did have 100 more horsepower. Now its the same price as a mustang GT and has nearly 100 less. Albeit its lighter. I just cant see Toyota selling a ton of these.

I like how they didn't make it a straight-up drag car. Between the stuff for downforce like the splitter and wing, and suspension, I'm interested to see how this handles a road course. I think that Rick needs to mount the go-pro at the back of the car to record some exhaust runs.

I think Toyota blew a huge opportunity here to please Supra fans and build something unique. I wasn't a Supra fan-boy back in the day, but the Supra and RX-7 were bad-ass cars that gave Vette's and Porsche's a run for their money. This new Supra is an attempt to build their version of a Miata. It will be out-gunned by the Vette's, Camaro's, Mustang's of the world and won't have the poise of a mid-engined car like the Cayman. I realize that the Japanese car companies are conservative, but these guys also built the LFA. If they moved the price-point up, and built a scaled-down version of something that looked like the LFA, that would have been pretty cool, but I guess they didn't want to build something too close to the RC-F? Then again, the Supra was their top of the line sports car at the time, they should have just gone the whole-hog and built another halo car to run with those Porsche's, Vette's, etc.

rick81721

Lothar
I like how they didn't make it a straight-up drag car. Between the stuff for downforce like the splitter and wing, and suspension, I'm interested to see how this handles a road course. I think that Rick needs to mount the go-pro at the back of the car to record some exhaust runs.

Don't have a gopro. Think I could just duct-tape my phone to the rear valance?

Top Bottom