Car Dealer Experience Stories

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
lol, Jesus christ....what a pleasure you are to deal with.

you know you are a pisser about the tires....spend $800 for Porsche to look at your oil, but you buy used tires for the car you actually plan on driving in the snow lol.

I was at Costco the other day and they had vegetable oil by the gallon. I briefly wondered how long the Chrysler would run on $15 worth of it. Apples and oranges. If you sneezed in the GT3 I would probably sell it. If you took a shit in the trunk of the Chrysler, I'd just hose it out.

my vote and depends on time

Weather on Saturday is rain now. Sunday looks like the only option.

This is on you. The people working there didn't get up to a school level where you do those math problems of when the trains meet each other.

What do you do with the oil analysis? Do you forward it to the Porsche dealer, make an appointment for a consultation? Sit down in a small office with a small round coffee table discussing your options sipping cappuccinos , sending the car back to Germany for care, etc?

Initially I was going to send it in for a baseline. It's $40 and it does help resale. But now, after this? I am going to pour half of it into the coffee machine at Fullerton Chrysler.

So, you paid $870 for what couldn't have been more than 90min of casual work and the experience was better. Huh.

Crazy, right? And the oil change is easier on the GT3 than the Chrysler (on a lift). But while it's under CPO coverage it will go to the dealer.

Well it included 3 espressos so there’s that.

If I didn't feel like my heart was going to explode I would have had a fourth.

with Carsons GT3, A ferrari...something with investment potential....I get it....But im assuming people who are driving the Macan...something that depreciates RAPIDLY also have to pay the same price for this service...and wow...$800 for brake fluid and oil is astounding lol.

Non-GT car service prices are less. Not sure how much less, but less. If I had a Macan, I'd use an Indy mechanic for sure. Or crawl underneath it with the air suspension set to off-road LOL.

Sure, I would agree....at best I would say you can buy a GT3, or a Gt350, etc....Use it lightly, maintain it properly...then at the end of the day, not lose much when you sell it....I think thats a fair and reasonable expectation.

For example, I know people are going all GA GA about the prices of Acura NSXs....but they were $80,000 in the mid 90s!!! So ~150k today......its not making people money if you bought one new.

MSRP on my car (2015) was $144,500. I could get that back in a private sale today in this crazy market. Probably 130 trade? Which is why the 992 is 50 over. And which is how I can swallow a $870 oil and brake fluid change.

TBH, I'm not a Porsche hater, quite the opposite actually. I want one and am looking to get one. The introduction of the new Vette has complicated this a little, HOWEVER, my desire for a Vette/ZO6 is tempered by the fact that I don't want a dealer experience where a bunch of vaping dopes are forgetting to rotate my tires, are over-torqueing every bolt to the point of failure, under/over-filling oil, etc. I'm sure there are some good GM dealerships out there with ethical technicians, but you're taking far less of a chance with Porsche, where you are getting what you pay for.

My buddy with a C8 has already had an interior trim piece scratched and a wheel marked up from the selling dealer. On a $91,000 car. The techs treat it like it's a Chevy Sonic.

Captain Brainstorm

I was at Costco the other day and they had vegetable oil by the gallon. I briefly wondered how long the Chrysler would run on $15 worth of it. Apples and oranges. If you sneezed in the GT3 I would probably sell it. If you took a shit in the trunk of the Chrysler, I'd just hose it out.

Weather on Saturday is rain now. Sunday looks like the only option.

Initially I was going to send it in for a baseline. It's $40 and it does help resale. But now, after this? I am going to pour half of it into the coffee machine at Fullerton Chrysler.

Crazy, right? And the oil change is easier on the GT3 than the Chrysler (on a lift). But while it's under CPO coverage it will go to the dealer.

If I didn't feel like my heart was going to explode I would have had a fourth.

Non-GT car service prices are less. Not sure how much less, but less. If I had a Macan, I'd use an Indy mechanic for sure. Or crawl underneath it with the air suspension set to off-road LOL.

MSRP on my car (2015) was $144,500. I could get that back in a private sale today in this crazy market. Probably 130 trade? Which is why the 992 is 50 over. And which is how I can swallow a $870 oil and brake fluid change.

My buddy with a C8 has already had an interior trim piece scratched and a wheel marked up from the selling dealer. On a $91,000 car. The techs treat it like it's a Chevy Sonic.
Friend of mine with a Cayman GTS paid $600 for the yearly service, $2000 for year two. A little cheaper, but not much.

If I got a Vette, my indy mechanic would get the contract. I've been going to him for 20+ years, he knows his shit, is old-school, and is meticulous. If I had an older Porsche where service was up I would consider taking it to him for service. Buy the oil, filter, any parts etc. at the dealership and take it to him, keep all receipts in a file. With Ze Germans, you need to use the exact parts, oil, and fluids that they spec, so best to get it at the dealer. If any type of warranty issue were to come up, they will make sure you used factory components and send a sample of the oil to an analytical lab to confirm it was the exact oil that they spec'd (lots of time their oil is a different color).

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fullerton Chrysler Visit #2

UPS dropped off the replacement tire today. I called Fullerton service and she said you tell me what time you want to come in. I'll have it done in 30 minutes. Nice.

I roll in at 3:30. Since I don't plan on washing it until...I dunno...I sell it, I asked her if someone can wash the car after the tire is swapped.

She says they don't have anyone who could wash it for me. I asked if the tech who can't read also can't pick up a sponge. She sighed and said she'll figure something out.

4:05 and I'm on my way. No techs in sight behind building today.

20211112_162212.jpg

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Took the car in earlier this year for the required M rear differential oil change. Local dealer (Morristown) wanted $500 😳. Drove 30 mins to Bloomfield BMW…$135. Also had an engine oil change done for $50 less than “More-istown”. Plus, many of the Bloomfield techs drive M’s, so having a conversation about things to check is easy. Pays to shop around.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
My Viper has to go in for an air bag module recall, has to go to a dealer, can't use the viper tech I trust. Not looking forward to it. Went to make an appointment at Dover Dodge and was told try Nielson, they don't work on vipers at Dover. Where ever it goes I will wait and baby sit it.

Top Bottom