Car Dealer Experience Stories

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A Tale of Two Oil Services

Princeton Porsche

Oil service, brake fluid flush, annual inspection. When making the appointment, which is my first service with the car, we went over the service history on the car, what was done, what would need to be done in 2022. They offered to pickup and drop off the car. Not a chance, of course. I said I could wait for the car but they advised I would have a loaner car to use if I wanted to go get breakfast or run errands.

Arrive and check in. Hand them a Blackstone UOA container. Have an espresso. Given keys to a 2021 Macan. Service manager comes out and introduces himself. We talk about about Porsches, GT cars, Monticello, the crazy car market. Have an espresso. I check in with the used car manager. We have a mutual friend in common, we talk about his lack of inventory, lack of allocations moving forward, how most 911 base and S allocations are going to be converted to GTS allocations. He just took delivery of a 2022 base 911 for himself, so we look at that briefly. He offers to let me take something out of the used car inventory (of which there was only about 8 cars), but I tell him I'm interested in driving the Macan. I ask his opinion on if I should even bother staying on the GT3 list as I'm not going to pay 50 over. He suggests I stay on as who knows what may happen for the 2023 model year, the crazy economy and chip shortages. He recommends a good breakfast spot and off I go.

Head to breakfast, which was great (Turning Point in Mercer Mall). Run up to Halter's to look for a helmet. Hit a few backroads then back to the dealer. Base Macan in sport mode was pretty peppy! Have an espresso. Play on laptop for 45 minutes in waiting area. Tech comes out, hands me the oil sample and tells me the car is fine, no issues, and he didn't want to leave the oil in the car. He daily drives a 74 Carrera and told me about rebuilding the engine last year during COVID shutdown. He tells me the inspection video of my car will be sent to my phone shortly.

Get video, shows car on lift. Video of brakes, suspension, tires, engine, and transmission. All looks good. Maybe 45 seconds in length.

$870. Next years service will be about $2200. I took a Porsche branded water bottle and a granola bar and off I went.

Other than removing the plastic cover they had placed over the seat, I couldn't tell anyone had been inside my car.

Fullerton Chrysler

I check their website and find a coupon for full synthetic oil service. $45. The oil and filter would cost nearly that much. I also have two new/used winter tires to mount up. I stop by dealer to make appointment.

Service writer says I don't need an appointment. I ask to make appointment. No appointment needed. Back and forth, she finally writes my name and cell on a sticky note and puts it on her monitor.

I come in for Post-It note appointment. She doesn't recognize me. I reminder her of sticky note and that triggers her memory. Here's where it gets good.

I explain that the two right side tires, RF and RR, are 3/32 and the left side tires, LF and LR, are 7/32. The two tires to be mounted are in the trunk and are 8/32 each. Place the 8/32 tires on the front axle. Since the tires are unidirectional, dismount the LF tire and remount that on the RR. I should end up with 3 tires mounted and balanced with two tires on front at 8/32 and two on the rear at 7/32. I draw a picture and write this down and ask her to give to the tech. She thanks me for making it so clear.

Hour later car is "done". I haven't cleaned the wheels in, well, ever. So they are covered in brake dust. From 40 feet away I can tell the front tires were at least removed from the car and I see shiny new wheel weights. But the two rear tires were not. And no new wheel weights on the RR. RR is still 3/32. I show the service writer, she checks with the tech. Tech says he did mount up the LF on the RR. Now, I am annoyed. Tell service writer that the tech is either confused, lazy, or lying, none of which are acceptable. Additionally, now I break balls and tell service writer the tech dripped oil on the right fender and didn't clean it up. So, go get him. She says she will clean up the oil. I tell her no, that's the tech's job, go get him. He's going to accountable for his actions and inactions.

Manager comes out. I explain, he gets it. He sees the RR is nearly bald and doesn't have new wheel weights. He wipes off oil. Goes into shop. Comes back white-faced. While we were arguing about whether the tech actually did his job, the tire recycler showed up and took my dismounted tires already. Manager calls recycler, can't get in touch with driver. Plus, it's probably covered by other tires by now.

Manager says he will order a new tire for me, on the dealership. I tell him they are Michelin X-Ice and over $200 each, which is why I bought two used tires for $135 shipped. And, if he buys a new tire for me, I'll have one at 7/32 and one at 10/32 on the same axle and I won't be able to sleep knowing that. And I don't expect him to buy two new tires.

I tell him I'll look to see if I can find another used tire and he can pay for that. He can't he says. Can't buy a used eBay for a customer. So, I say I'll buy the tire if he does the oil service and tire mounting for free. He agrees. I find one 8/32 tire for $74 shipped. Ordered. They will install when it gets delivered. Overall they resolved the issue but JFC we should have never been there in the first place.

Coffee machine sort of worked. Chips and cookies for $1 each in the vending machine.

$114 for oil service and 2 tires mounted and balanced. Subtract $114 for incompetence. Add $74 for replacement tire. Total of $74.

Leave service and drive around back of building. Two techs are out back vaping. I stop and roll down window and tell them maybe if they spent more time reading the service orders than vaping they'd have happier customers. Off I went.

JDurk

Princeton Porsche

Oil service, brake fluid flush, annual inspection. When making the appointment, which is my first service with the car, we went over the service history on the car, what was done, what would need to be done in 2022. They offered to pickup and drop off the car. Not a chance, of course. I said I could wait for the car but they advised I would have a loaner car to use if I wanted to go get breakfast or run errands.

Arrive and check in. Hand them a Blackstone UOA container. Have an espresso. Given keys to a 2021 Macan. Service manager comes out and introduces himself. We talk about about Porsches, GT cars, Monticello, the crazy car market. Have an espresso. I check in with the used car manager. We have a mutual friend in common, we talk about his lack of inventory, lack of allocations moving forward, how most 911 base and S allocations are going to be converted to GTS allocations. He just took delivery of a 2022 base 911 for himself, so we look at that briefly. He offers to let me take something out of the used car inventory (of which there was only about 8 cars), but I tell him I'm interested in driving the Macan. I ask his opinion on if I should even bother staying on the GT3 list as I'm not going to pay 50 over. He suggests I stay on as who knows what may happen for the 2023 model year, the crazy economy and chip shortages. He recommends a good breakfast spot and off I go.

Head to breakfast, which was great (Turning Point in Mercer Mall). Run up to Halter's to look for a helmet. Hit a few backroads then back to the dealer. Base Macan in sport mode was pretty peppy! Have an espresso. Play on laptop for 45 minutes in waiting area. Tech comes out, hands me the oil sample and tells me the car is fine, no issues, and he didn't want to leave the oil in the car. He daily drives a 74 Carrera and told me about rebuilding the engine last year during COVID shutdown. He tells me the inspection video of my car will be sent to my phone shortly.

Get video, shows car on lift. Video of brakes, suspension, tires, engine, and transmission. All looks good. Maybe 45 seconds in length.

$870. Next years service will be about $2200. I took a Porsche branded water bottle and a granola bar and off I went.

Other than removing the plastic cover they had placed over the seat, I couldn't tell anyone had been inside my car.

Fullerton Chrysler

I check their website and find a coupon for full synthetic oil service. $45. The oil and filter would cost nearly that much. I also have two new/used winter tires to mount up. I stop by dealer to make appointment.

Service writer says I don't need an appointment. I ask to make appointment. No appointment needed. Back and forth, she finally writes my name and cell on a sticky note and puts it on her monitor.

I come in for Post-It note appointment. She doesn't recognize me. I reminder her of sticky note and that triggers her memory. Here's where it gets good.

I explain that the two right side tires, RF and RR, are 3/32 and the left side tires, LF and LR, are 7/32. The two tires to be mounted are in the trunk and are 8/32 each. Place the 8/32 tires on the front axle. Since the tires are unidirectional, dismount the LF tire and remount that on the RR. I should end up with 3 tires mounted and balanced with two tires on front at 8/32 and two on the rear at 7/32. I draw a picture and write this down and ask her to give to the tech. She thanks me for making it so clear.

Hour later car is "done". I haven't cleaned the wheels in, well, ever. So they are covered in brake dust. From 40 feet away I can tell the front tires were at least removed from the car and I see shiny new wheel weights. But the two rear tires were not. And no new wheel weights on the RR. RR is still 3/32. I show the service writer, she checks with the tech. Tech says he did mount up the LF on the RR. Now, I am annoyed. Tell service writer that the tech is either confused, lazy, or lying, none of which are acceptable. Additionally, now I break balls and tell service writer the tech dripped oil on the right fender and didn't clean it up. So, go get him. She says she will clean up the oil. I tell her no, that's the tech's job, go get him. He's going to accountable for his actions and inactions.

Manager comes out. I explain, he gets it. He sees the RR is nearly bald and doesn't have new wheel weights. He wipes off oil. Goes into shop. Comes back white-faced. While we were arguing about whether the tech actually did his job, the tire recycler showed up and took my dismounted tires already. Manager calls recycler, can't get in touch with driver. Plus, it's probably covered by other tires by now.

Manager says he will order a new tire for me, on the dealership. I tell him they are Michelin X-Ice and over $200 each, which is why I bought two used tires for $135 shipped. And, if he buys a new tire for me, I'll have one at 7/32 and one at 10/32 on the same axle and I won't be able to sleep knowing that. And I don't expect him to buy two new tires.

I tell him I'll look to see if I can find another used tire and he can pay for that. He can't he says. Can't buy a used eBay for a customer. So, I say I'll buy the tire if he does the oil service and tire mounting for free. He agrees. I find one 8/32 tire for $74 shipped. Ordered. They will install when it gets delivered. Overall they resolved the issue but JFC we should have never been there in the first place.

Coffee machine sort of worked. Chips and cookies for $1 each in the vending machine.

$114 for oil service and 2 tires mounted and balanced. Subtract $114 for incompetence. Add $74 for replacement tire. Total of $74.

Leave service and drive around back of building. Two techs are out back vaping. I stop and roll down window and tell them maybe if they spent more time reading the service orders than vaping they'd have happier customers. Off I went.
Hell yeah! Awesome read.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

Princeton Porsche

Fullerton Chrysler

Next time drop the Porsche off here. I'll get it done for the $74 you paid for the K car.

rick81721

Lothar

Princeton Porsche

Fullerton Chrysler

Gotta pay to play!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Princeton Porsche

Fullerton Chrysler

lol, Jesus christ....what a pleasure you are to deal with.

you know you are a pisser about the tires....spend $800 for Porsche to look at your oil, but you buy used tires for the car you actually plan on driving in the snow lol.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Princeton Porsche

Fullerton Chrysler

Excellent read.

Tuesday I was at Princeton Porsche for an annual inspection and oil service. Today I was at Fullerton Chrysler for an oil change (coupon; $45 for full synthetic). The differences were obviously astouding and laughable. As were the costs. I'll post up later when I have the time.

CRUISE

@Magic is requesting a cruise this weekend as a final sendoff for 2021. Any interest? Best weather looks like Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. It will be more mellow as cold temps don't make for confident handling with Cup 2s.

What say you?
I can't do Saturday, but tag or text me for any time Sunday.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fullerton Chrysler

This is on you. The people working there didn't get up to a school level where you do those math problems of when the trains meet each other.

What do you do with the oil analysis? Do you forward it to the Porsche dealer, make an appointment for a consultation? Sit down in a small office with a small round coffee table discussing your options sipping cappuccinos , sending the car back to Germany for care, etc?

mntal

A

Princeton Porsche

Fullerton Chrysler

And this is exactly why I too drive Porsches. Any additional cost is worth every penny as opposed to having to hold counsel with morons.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A

And this is exactly why I too drive Porsches. Any additional cost is worth every penny as opposed to having to hold counsel with morons.
LOL you and @Carson

Serious question... Would you ACTUALLY walk into a Porsche service center with used tires and ask them to install them.... Much less expect someone to do an oil change and swap tires for $74? They would laugh you out of the building...

And this Blackstone nonsense... What are you going to do with this information? Porche is changing the oil using the exact spec recommended... Its not like they are going to see the results and use something different.... Are they going to tell you the car needs a week long sabbatical?

Captain Brainstorm

So, you paid $870 for what couldn't have been more than 90min of casual work and the experience was better. Huh.
Porsche has their customers by the balls. Since no one with a Porsche actually drives it more than 2000 miles a year (excluding their commodity SUV's), its a "resale thing", and you want all your scheduled services to be in the vehicle history when it comes time to swap it or else it's a red-flag, and you won't get maximum value. And unless those services are at the dealer, they don't count. At least they treat you well at the dealership, they have the common courtesy to give you a reach-around.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Porsche has their customers by the balls. Since no one with a Porsche actually drives it more than 2000 miles a year (excluding their commodity SUV's), its a "resale thing", and you want all your scheduled services to be in the vehicle history when it comes time to swap it or else it's a red-flag, and you won't get maximum value. And unless those services are at the dealer, they don't count. At least they treat you well at the dealership, they have the common courtesy to give you a reach-around.
with Carsons GT3, A ferrari...something with investment potential....I get it....But im assuming people who are driving the Macan...something that depreciates RAPIDLY also have to pay the same price for this service...and wow...$800 for brake fluid and oil is astounding lol.

Captain Brainstorm

with Carsons GT3, A ferrari...something with investment potential....I get it....But im assuming people who are driving the Macan...something that depreciates RAPIDLY also have to pay the same price for this service...and wow...$800 for brake fluid and oil is astounding lol.
Cars are a difficult thing to invest in, the only ones that really gain value are the special models like the F40, F50, F1, etc., then there's the uncertainty, but with electrification coming who knows, anything IC may appreciate. I'm of the opinion of driving it until the wheels fall off (bad for investing), but the return is the pleasure you get, which to me is priceless. If you have $200k to invest in, we're in a bull market right now, it wouldn't have been that difficult to double that this year.

Reactions: don

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cars are a difficult thing to invest in, the only ones that really gain value are the special models like the F40, F50, F1, etc., then there's the uncertainty, but with electrification coming who knows, anything IC may appreciate. I'm of the opinion of driving it until the wheels fall off (bad for investing), but the return is the pleasure you get, which to me is priceless. If you have $200k to invest in, we're in a bull market right now, it wouldn't have been that difficult to double that this year.
Sure, I would agree....at best I would say you can buy a GT3, or a Gt350, etc....Use it lightly, maintain it properly...then at the end of the day, not lose much when you sell it....I think thats a fair and reasonable expectation.

For example, I know people are going all GA GA about the prices of Acura NSXs....but they were $80,000 in the mid 90s!!! So ~150k today......its not making people money if you bought one new.

Captain Brainstorm

Sure, I would agree....at best I would say you can buy a GT3, or a Gt350, etc....Use it lightly, maintain it properly...then at the end of the day, not lose much when you sell it....I think thats a fair and reasonable expectation.

For example, I know people are going all GA GA about the prices of Acura NSXs....but they were $80,000 in the mid 90s!!! So ~150k today......its not making people money if you bought one new.
Its a reasonable expectation to buy cars like those and not take a big hit when you flip, especially if that's what you do, it makes complete sense, especially if you plan on continuing to buy cars in that range.

I've found that the things that really appreciate most are the things that are unexpected, or a complete surprise. I have a couple of guitars that I bought for really cheap or got for free that have doubled-quadrupled in value. At the time I got them, that was the furthest thing in mind. I also have a couple of vices that a friend was throwing away that are worth a couple of hundred each (that's what a neighbors contractor offered when he saw them) , but I'll put them to good use.

Captain Brainstorm

TBH, I'm not a Porsche hater, quite the opposite actually. I want one and am looking to get one. The introduction of the new Vette has complicated this a little, HOWEVER, my desire for a Vette/ZO6 is tempered by the fact that I don't want a dealer experience where a bunch of vaping dopes are forgetting to rotate my tires, are over-torqueing every bolt to the point of failure, under/over-filling oil, etc. I'm sure there are some good GM dealerships out there with ethical technicians, but you're taking far less of a chance with Porsche, where you are getting what you pay for.

Top Bottom