Car Dealer Experience Stories

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Years back I bought a new Honda Civic and paid for it with cash. The staff had a fit.
Cash cash or check?

When I bought my Hyundai Accent I paid in physical cash and it caused a huge problem because they had no real way to take it. Ended up taking it through the service department.

Next car Honda Fit, also cheap car I thought I got smart and brought a check instead of cash. That was another whole set of issues as now they were all concerned about fraud and it was after hours.

It seemed so weird to me that at an extremely high volume dealer people using checks wasn't more common.

Reactions: don

THATmanMANNY

Took the car in earlier this year for the required M rear differential oil change. Local dealer (Morristown) wanted $500 😳. Drove 30 mins to Bloomfield BMW…$135. Also had an engine oil change done for $50 less than “More-istown”. Plus, many of the Bloomfield techs drive M’s, so having a conversation about things to check is easy. Pays to shop around.
Wow did they even make any money of the diff oil change. The diff fluid for the m3 alone cost that much when I DIY’d it.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
do they still have the green w/ black stripes viper on the lot? i havent checked in lately to see if its still online.
That was an ‘08 and no. Saw it on their site. If you buy an ‘08 or ‘09 you can get the revised 5th/6th gears that are in the ‘10 for $700. Supposed to be a big improvement, and a job any reputable trans shop can do. On my car at 80mph 5th revs too high and 6th is too low. Sixth starts to feel like it’s running comfortable cruising over 100mph.

johnbryanpeters

Cash cash or check?

When I bought my Hyundai Accent I paid in physical cash and it caused a huge problem because they had no real way to take it. Ended up taking it through the service department.

Next car Honda Fit, also cheap car I thought I got smart and brought a check instead of cash. That was another whole set of issues as now they were all concerned about fraud and it was after hours.

It seemed so weird to me that at an extremely high volume dealer people using checks wasn't more common.
A giant stack of twenty dollar bills. They owed me about three dollars in change, and insisted on doing so with a check.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That was an ‘08 and no. Saw it on their site. If you buy an ‘08 or ‘09 you can get the revised 5th/6th gears that are in the ‘10 for $700. Supposed to be a big improvement, and a job any reputable trans shop can do. On my car at 80mph 5th revs too high and 6th is too low. Sixth starts to feel like it’s running comfortable cruising over 100mph.

Yes I think it was an 08. I saw it when I first started dealing with insurance on my car. Bummer it's gone but not surprising the price seemed reasonable for it to me

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Usually not a hard job to swap gears yourself. When I did it I walked into the trans shop with the carrier and paid like $15 for them to pull off the ring gear as I didn't own a press yet. Just froze the new one and it dropped right on.

Reactions: don

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
So I had a reservation for the new bronco. I’m not currently interested in a new vehicle, so I didn’t put an order in yet. I might be interested if the Sasquatch/manual combo comes available, or I move to somewhere I can justify another vehicle. So I just expected my reservation to sit there until I acted on it.

So this week I get an email saying that my order was successfully received, with details on a specific model and options that was supposedly ordered by me. So I call the dealer and they said that since I never put in an order they used my reservation to get dealer stock. And that I’m not obligated to purchase it. I told them that I paid for the reservation and I may have still wanted to use it in the future. I ended up having them refund me my deposit (we’ll see if I actually get refunded).

From what I’m hearing the process has been bad for a lot of people. There was a moment when I was considering ordering one but the aggressive voicemails the salespeople where leaving scared me off.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Usually not a hard job to swap gears yourself. When I did it I walked into the trans shop with the carrier and paid like $15 for them to pull off the ring gear as I didn't own a press yet. Just froze the new one and it dropped right on.
Sorry but your misunderstanding. I’m not referring to the diff but the trans gears. And while I agree swapping the ring and pinion gears in the diff is usually not that hard, the real art it in shimming both correctly for proper mesh. Like anyone can swap a RD, but you pay a shop tech to get perfect hanger alignment, h/l limits and cable tension.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry but your misunderstanding. I’m not referring to the diff but the trans gears. And while I agree swapping the ring and pinion gears in the diff is usually not that hard, the real art it in shimming both correctly for proper mesh. Like anyone can swap a RD, but you pay a shop tech to get perfect hanger alignment, h/l limits and cable tension.
Ah didn't understand you meant transmission. And yeah, rebuilt a manual transmission, not that hard.

Shimming the rear gears isn't hard, there's usually a recommended wear pattern you aim for with the paste when doing it.

Bill is a mechanical engineer, he can handle it!

I'll let him use my 12ton press.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I had a reservation for the new bronco. I’m not currently interested in a new vehicle, so I didn’t put an order in yet. I might be interested if the Sasquatch/manual combo comes available, or I move to somewhere I can justify another vehicle. So I just expected my reservation to sit there until I acted on it.

So this week I get an email saying that my order was successfully received, with details on a specific model and options that was supposedly ordered by me. So I call the dealer and they said that since I never put in an order they used my reservation to get dealer stock. And that I’m not obligated to purchase it. I told them that I paid for the reservation and I may have still wanted to use it in the future. I ended up having them refund me my deposit (we’ll see if I actually get refunded).

From what I’m hearing the process has been bad for a lot of people. There was a moment when I was considering ordering one but the aggressive voicemails the salespeople where leaving scared me off.
I dont know why everyone wants to have the FIRST one...the FIRST one always sucks....Like the first c8....wait a year til the z06 comes out...probably alot easier to get a c8 now...chip shortage aside.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can't verify this but Ciocca bought Kerbeck and had some Z06 sign up reservation system on the interweb. With a deposit (refundable before order). They expect 100ish Z06 allocations next year and have 2300 registered deposits as of today. Holy shit.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I dont know why everyone wants to have the FIRST one...the FIRST one always sucks....Like the first c8....wait a year til the z06 comes out...probably alot easier to get a c8 now...chip shortage aside.
I think some people just want the attention for having the first ones available. Meanwhile they are the guinea pigs for the factory’s mistakes. I would never gamble on first year models on domestics.

rick81721

Lothar

same here - I waited 2 years to get the GT350

Top Bottom