Car Dealer Experience Stories

w_b

And I’m going along for the ride, Elon has been very good to me- he‘s paying for my son‘s tuition at Stevens.
Lol I feel that way about Steve Jobs, RIP. Bought AAPL 12 years ago and still holding and reinvesting dividends. Not enough yet for my two 10yrolds but still got a few years yet.

goldsbar

I ask his opinion on if I should even bother staying on the GT3 list as I'm not going to pay 50 over.
I love Porsche world oddities, and they've been going on well before the COVID craziness. Regular 911s depreciate lock a rock, just like any other car. GT3s hold value very well. Seems to be a rich get richer type of thing. My buddy (not rich) has had one for around 10 years and at various times including now could sell it for around or over what he paid. Of course he's put a ton of $s into maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. That $50k over might just put you on a normal depreciation curve. I don't blame them. Why should they give away the $s to the car flippers.

Forget the more special stuff. Slap an "R" next to 911, give it a few more HP, manual and a couple of suspension tweaks and those things are worth their weight in gold. Go figure. Hot thing now is the new GT4 RS. Good luck even getting one. Probably the next one to triple in value even though it's realistically just a bit higher performing than the regular GT4 and regular Caymans aren't even that popular.

mfennell

I love Porsche world oddities, and they've been going on well before the COVID craziness. Regular 911s depreciate lock a rock, just like any other car. GT3s hold value very well.

That is a fairly recent phenomenon. In 2009, I sold a 5 year old, 12k mile '04 996 GT3 for just over 50% of MSRP. The original owner took a 30% haircut in 2.5yrs/4k miles.

mntal

I love Porsche world oddities, and they've been going on well before the COVID craziness. Regular 911s depreciate lock a rock, just like any other car. GT3s hold value very well. Seems to be a rich get richer type of thing. My buddy (not rich) has had one for around 10 years and at various times including now could sell it for around or over what he paid. Of course he's put a ton of $s into maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. That $50k over might just put you on a normal depreciation curve. I don't blame them. Why should they give away the $s to the car flippers.

Forget the more special stuff. Slap an "R" next to 911, give it a few more HP, manual and a couple of suspension tweaks and those things are worth their weight in gold. Go figure. Hot thing now is the new GT4 RS. Good luck even getting one. Probably the next one to triple in value even though it's realistically just a bit higher performing than the regular GT4 and regular Caymans aren't even that popular.
I sold a '78 Targa for 400% over what I bought it for. While driven by chip craziness, my dealer offered to buy my current 911 for $40k over what I bought it from them for 2 years ago.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Right on! About the only scenario I can think of where self driving cars might make sense is slow speed merge situations, like the Holland Tunnel. Assuming all cars merging could “talk” to one another electronically, we’d take the emotion out of merging and cars could quickly move ahead within inches of each other faster than us stubborn minded I-must-get-ahead-of-you humans. The slow speed situation would remove any risk of bodily injury and the handful of glitches (out of hundreds of thousands of cars) caused by faulty sensors and the resulting scrapes would be far outweighed by the time saved for hundreds of thousands of drivers.

Hive vs autonomous is a better model

What it does lead to is pay-for-priority

one piece crank

Hive vs autonomous is a better model

What it does lead to is pay-for-priority
Yeah, but there is always a dysfunction hive member. My son works in Tech, so I asked for an autonomous car backdoor, for when I get to be a crotchety old man. This will pair nicely with bright yellow paint and the authorized vehicle markings....

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fullerton Chrysler #2

Coupon for oil service is now $59.95. Inflation! But I'm lazy and don't give a shit about this car. Plus, I figure something at the dealership will be entertaining.

They still won't take appointments for oil changes. But I called and they at least told me there was no wait.

I check in with the same woman as last time. She was friendly and recognized me (likely as a problem). Booked me in and told me it should be less than an hour.

I immediately get the spam/BS email from the dealership sales manager saying they need used cars, paying over book value, yada yada. I figured I could have some fun while I waited.

I walked directly into sales managers office, told them I'm in for service, got his email, and checked Carvana who offered $9200 for my car. I'll take $10,000 now and take an Uber home.

He of course has no idea what I'm talking about so I show him the email. He says to call the used car manager Monday. I said no, you contacted me about the car so you have HIM call me.

He asked details on the car. I told him it's in for service, take the walk across the floor and get any info you desire, look at the car, check the condition, mileage, etc. He sighs and does.

He told me he'll have the used car manager call me if he's interested in my car. I said no, that's unacceptable. He blasted my email telling me he wants my car. So I want a call from him either way. If it's okay for him to waste my time reading his email, he can have the decency to call me with a yes or no. Manager said fine. I know fully well he's blowing me off.

45 minutes later, service writer tells me car is done and reviews "inspection" report. Claims tires are 8/32 all around. They aren't. Claims brakes are 5mm all around. They aren't. I just did pads and rotors all around 2 months ago. I beat the shit out of this thing but not like that.

We go round and round. What's the point of an inspection if they are guessing or inaccurate on the readings? That's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. She laughs and checks with the tech.

After a few minutes she comes back and tells me the tech reversed the readings. The tires are 5/32 and the brakes are 8mm. I told her she's awesome but the tech is borderline unemployable.

I drove around back. No techs present to harass.

Next update in 7500 miles unless the dumbass used car manager cuts a check for ten grand.

Last edited:

w_b

My guys doing the annual constitutional on my bride’s van this morning. I declined the reccomended AC tuneup, battery service, cabin AF and PCVV R/R. $65 out the door. Woulda been just under 4 Benjis all in.
AC has been good, no messin wit dat; the rest I believe is DIY.

Dropped at 7:30, took a walk around beautiful downtown Dayton, and on my way at 8:50. Wood recommend.

Oh, and new Highlanders are stickering north of $50K these days.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fullerton Chrysler #2

Coupon for oil service is now $59.95. Inflation! But I'm lazy and don't give a shit about this car. Plus, I figure something at the dealership will be entertaining.

They still won't take appointments for oil changes. But I called and they at least told me there was no wait.

I check in with the same woman as last time. She was friendly and recognized me (likely as a problem). Booked me in and told me it should be less than an hour.

I immediately get the spam/BS email from the dealership sales manager saying they need used cars, paying over book value, yada yada. I figured I could have some fun while I waited.

I walked directly into sales managers office, told them I'm in for service, got his email, and checked Carvana who offered $9200 for my car. I'll take $10,000 now and take an Uber home.

He of course has no idea what I'm talking about so I show him the email. He says to call the used car manager Monday. I said no, you contacted me about the car so you have HIM call me.

He asked details on the car. I told him it's in for service, take the walk across the floor and get any info you desire, look at the car, check the condition, mileage, etc. He sighs and does.

He told me he'll have the used car manager call me if he's interested in my car. I said no, that's unacceptable. He blasted my email telling me he wants my car. So I want a call from him either way. If it's okay for him to waste my time reading his email, he can have the decency to call me with a yes or no. Manager said fine. I know fully well he's blowing me off.

45 minutes later, service writer tells me car is done and reviews "inspection" report. Claims tires are 8/32 all around. They aren't. Claims brakes are 5mm all around. They aren't. I just did pads and rotors all around 2 months ago. I beat the shit out of this thing but not like that.

We go round and round. What's the point of an inspection if they are guessing or inaccurate on the readings? That's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. She laughs and checks with the tech.

After a few minutes she comes back and tells me the tech reversed the readings. The tires are 5/32 and the brakes are 8mm. I told her she's awesome but the tech is borderline unemployable.

I drove around back. No techs present to harass.

Next update in 7500 miles unless the dumbass used car manager cuts a check for ten grand.
This seems to have some direct correlation with @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST post in the other thread where he stated he hates cars. I wonder why.

BPaze

We paid a little over 50K for a 2022 Highlander Hybrid limited this Jan. Gets great gas mileage for a big SUV.
I think we got a 2018, it used to have a shelf that ran along the bottom portion of the dash from the center console to the passenger door. My wife hated that other than that it was a good soccer mom hauler. I do think it was overpriced and I bought from a dealership I was doing business with and think I overpaid and had a crap salesperson, but other than that we were happy.

w_b

We paid a little over 50K for a 2022 Highlander Hybrid limited this Jan. Gets great gas mileage for a big SUV.
This particular 2022 AWD gem was rated at 20 city, 27 hwy, which I did not think was overly efficient.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Although I felt the $1000 service vs. $50-ish bucks comparison was a little unfair, the used car harassment is gold. Funny how many of my customers come in and say "boy howdy, my car must be amazing because my dealer REALLY wants to buy it, they're always asking me to trade it in!"

Uh, they only want to sell you a new one there bucko.

Top Bottom