Cannondale Synapse BB and headset questions

ebarker9

So I picked up a 2019 Synapse with the Ultegra Di2 setup and it's pretty sweet, but I am having two glaring issues. The first being the headset.

The Cannondale manual shows the use of the K35058 compression assembly with a top cap that looks like a cap. They suggest a 3mm drop from the top of the steerer to the stem. It looks as though the top cap would then extend down a few mm and snug up against the stem to tighten the assembly. Simple. However, my top cap has a flat top. If I assembled it this way, I'd be tightening the steerer against the...steerer. I've tried the normal setup with the stem proud of the steerer but the top cap then loosens. Thinking I have the wrong part but could be missing something obvious.

The second issue is...surprise, I seem to have the standard BB creak that seems to infect these bikes. The internet suggests installing new bearings with Loctite 609 and a primer. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

IMG_20190721_190424.jpgIMG_20190721_190437.jpgIMG_20190721_190452.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Put the top cap on. Thread it down a few threads. Use a smaller hex key to loosen the compression plug. The whole assembly will drop into the fork about a cm. Retighten the compression plug. Adjust top cap as needed.

ebarker9

Put the top cap on. Thread it down a few threads. Use a smaller hex key to loosen the compression plug. The whole assembly will drop into the fork about a cm. Retighten the compression plug. Adjust top cap as needed.

Thanks. The expansion wedges should roughly align with the lower stem bolt? Looks like it matches the supersix instructions.

Top Bottom