Cannondale Rize and Moto

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was in Halters today and the cannondale rep had his Rize in there. First impressions is that this bike is damn light for a 130mm bike and ofcourse it was decked out with the best stuff. J let me ride it and the rep happens to be almost my exact height and weight. This bike is sick, felt awesome around the parking lot and with the pro pedal set to firm, there is no bob while sprinting. I played on the rocks behind the building and everything felt really good. The lefty with the fox internals is very smooth and the rear suspension was super smooth too. This looks like it will be a killer bike when the production version hits.

scalpel6

C-Rize

I was also at Halter's this morning and was very impressed with The Rize. Sweet bike! That is if you like 26 inch wheels :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Check the pics..

Killer.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

BiknBen

...That is if you like 26 inch wheels :D

I was waiting for this to be said.

Me??? I don't consider anything with 26" wheels, suspension, or gears. No more headaches trying to keep up with the bike industry. :rofl:

BTW, that cycling.tv video was pretty funny.
"Cannondalous Humongulatus"
"...stiff rear end. I like that..."

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So what is the difference between the Rize and the new Scalpel?

The rize seems to have endless travel and a more upright stance while the Scalpel still stands focused on the XC race track.

The long travel Lefty is the smoothest i have ever felt. Pretty amazing stuff.

M

mtbjeff

It seems to me that Cannondale and Giant come out with totally new bikes every 2 years. They don't seem to develop existing products, they discard and come out with a new bike that overlaps or replaces an existing one that the previouse season as touted as the latest and greatest.
I wind up not being sure exactly what bike is intended for wich purpose. I like the way other manufacturers develop a line and refine it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It seems to me that Cannondale and Giant come out with totally new bikes every 2 years. They don't seem to develop existing products, they discard and come out with a new bike that overlaps or replaces an existing one that the previouse season as touted as the latest and greatest.
I wind up not being sure exactly what bike is intended for wich purpose. I like the way other manufacturers develop a line and refine it.

giant has refined there trance and reign line since '05 and now came out with the x series for '08. Except for maybe the big hit stuff, the tweaked these bikes and didn't come out with new models.

cannondale is the same way, the prophet and rush have been tweaked over the years....

walter

Fourth Party
giant has refined there trance and reign line since '05 and now came out with the x series for '08. Except for maybe the big hit stuff, the tweaked these bikes and didn't come out with new models.

cannondale is the same way, the prophet and rush have been tweaked over the years....

I think what he may be trying to say is that Cannondale and Giant seem to "replace" rather than "modernize" their lines.

The Giant NRS was replaced by the Anthem/Trance, while the VT series was replaced by the Reign and now the Trance X.

The Cannondale Jeckyl was replaced by the Prophet and now the Prophet is already on its way out.

As an example, take Specialized and Santa Cruz. The Specialized Stumpjumper has been the same bike the majority of its lifespan, save for changes in travel and frame design. As well as the Enduro, bike has been around a long time but it seems to evolve with the current market.

Santa Cruz, take the Heckler, Superlight, Blur and Chameleon. All basically the same bike as well over their lifespans, but have been modified over time to keep up with technology and such.

dhsean

Is it 1999?

I haven't seen a crappy execution of Flash like this since 1999. Let's make it a little more cumbersome to find any info. Links to go back to the navigation? Come-on, who the hell designed this site? :mad2:

The site is overcomplicated, maybe like the bikes linkage. :getsome:

I'm cranky today.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The way Specialized has changed the Enduro over the years, they might as well have given it a new name. However, they're smart and realize that customers have built up brand familiarity with the name "Enduro" and rather than scrap that and start over every couple years, they use the same name on the new bike design. Think about the 2000-2001 Enduro, which was replaced by the monocoque 2002-2004 Enduro, which was completely redesigned for 2005 with the split seat tube design, then was scrapped again in 2007 for the Enduro SL design with the vertical shock and rocker link. That's a huge amount of change every 2-3 years, but the name remains a common thread.

Ultimately, the difference is not in what the companies are doing with the actual bike designs, the differences are in the ways the companies understand brand loyalty and the marketing value of continuing a specific brand lineage. I think you're right about Cannondale confusing customers by introducing new brand names all the time. While on one hand it does inject a new energy into their product line, they're ignoring the valuable brand equity they could build up in their product names.

However, the move with the new Scalpel is a positive one in that regard. Despite the radical redesign, they smartly kept the same name. Now if only they'd called the Rize the Jekyl... ;)

Top Bottom