Cannonball north from TOS

nj6964

I went on a lunchtime bike to scout cannonball above TOS (didn’t have my bike today :( ). I’m looking for a mellow enough trial to ride w/ a coworker just getting back into mtb. I got about 1/2 mile in and it looked pretty cool, nothing crazy but enough to be fun. I see on Trailforks that the gradient about 1.2 mi in is around 15-20%. I didn’t have time to go in that far.

My question: is this trial rideable along its length and how doable is it? I didn’t see any info online about this stretch of cannonball, maybe for good reason...

Thanks!!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I’d rate it most definitely not an easy trail. The pitch isn’t the problem. The real challenge is the rock gardens and tech sections along the way. Personally I love them as do many on here. But they’re a sure-fire way to discourage someone getting into the sport. I would recommend instead the trail around the lake at the bottom of TOS. Take the roads down (the single track can be very tricky). Alternatively some of the trails at Ringwood could be fun for him/her if you avoid the tech sections.

nj6964

Ok thanks. The rock gardens I saw on my hike looked great, killed me I didn’t have my bike.

I know he can tolerate some rocks... how does it compare to HM? We went to high mountain a few weeks ago for his first ride in years...and the techy climbs proved a bit much for him.

I’ll probably just go ride it myself to see the whole trail.

Kev

Ok thanks. The rock gardens I saw on my hike looked great, killed me I didn’t have my bike.

I know he can tolerate some rocks... how does it compare to HM? We went to high mountain a few weeks ago for his first ride in years...and the techy climbs proved a bit much for him.

I’ll probably just go ride it myself to see the whole trail.
I would say the tech on the Cannonball trail is more difficult since it's more like a super rocky fireroad than a purposely built technical trail with clearer lines to conquer the tech (which is what I imagine you are describing at High Mountain). I hope that makes sense.

Cannonbill

I can’t compare to HM, but top of skyline into Ringwood is going to turnoff someone that is new to mtb, or out of shape. I would recommend the trails from Sheppard’s lake or Sterling if you are looking for something in the general vicinity

JTK37

I jut got back into riding this year...... well really within the past month, only have about 30 miles on the bike, all at Ramapo. I park at TOS, ride the yellow or road down to the lake. Find the lower part of yellow to have some technical parts I'm not quite comfortable with yet so I hike a bike. Then I just go around the lake and peel off on the blue- ride up to the pipe line and then back and forth across the pipeline, and red- cannonball headed towards 287 is a little beyond my ability level at this point. Mileage varies depending on how many laps and how deep into the red and blue I go, but you can make a good ride out of it. In 3wks of riding I haven't come across another biker yet.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions