CANCELLED - Sourlands Trail Work Session Wed 8/21 6pm

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Another after work midweek session, Wed 8/21. Meet at the East Mountain Road lot at 6pm. BYO work gloves, water and bug spray. Tools will be provided. Since this is a midweek session with limited time, we will continue working on the lower trails, closest to the parking lot to save hiking time. We will be trimming back overgrowth and continuing with our drainage work. And it's my birthday, so come on out!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rangers just let me know they're cancelling due to impending storms. I'm still heading down since I'm 1/2 way there already and will see what I can do. @Patrick @jklett

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm sitting at my house listening to the thunder....
gust front just came through too.

I'll get out and get those branches another time.
Be careful.

jklett

Rangers just let me know they're cancelling due to impending storms. I'm still heading down since I'm 1/2 way there already and will see what I can do. @Patrick @jklett
I just got yelled at for getting ready to come up there, let me know what I can do over the next few days. Be careful, apparently the storms are supposed to be hairy.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Not a drop of rain or rumble of thunder at Sourlands. Did a solo mission up Boulderama pruning as I went and also cleared the log impeding the approach to the Tumbling Stairs feature.
First cut:
20190821_184155.jpg

All clear:
20190821_185123.jpg

jklett

I feel terrible about listening to my wife and the weather people, I should have just come up anyways. What can I do next time I'm up there? I have loppers and a hand saw.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I feel terrible about listening to my wife and the weather people, I should have just come up anyways. What can I do next time I'm up there? I have loppers and a hand saw.
Everyday, minimal tools required TM ideas:
- Trimming back thorn bushes, etc. that are encroaching on the trail is always needed. Just ride or walk a loop and anything that touches you, trim back. (I can't think of any specific locations right now that need it)
- Remove loose sticks and/or rocks in the trail tread that can kick up and take out a derailleur (as we saw on the group ride).
- Use feet or a stick to clear out any blocked drainage or create a drainage path for puddles.
- Hand-saw any small logs impeding the trail (Notify me location of any larger ones requiring chainsaw and i will fwd to Rangers).

jklett

Everyday, minimal tools required TM ideas:
- Trimming back thorn bushes, etc. that are encroaching on the trail is always needed. Just ride or walk a loop and anything that touches you, trim back. (I can't think of any specific locations right now that need it)
- Remove loose sticks and/or rocks in the trail tread that can kick up and take out a derailleur (as we saw on the group ride).
- Use feet or a stick to clear out any blocked drainage or create a drainage path for puddles.
- Hand-saw any small logs impeding the trail (Notify me location of any larger ones requiring chainsaw and i will fwd to Rangers).
Thanks, will do. Just wanted to know if there was any particular area that I should focus on or just do that pretty much everywhere?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Thanks, will do. Just wanted to know if there was any particular area that I should focus on or just do that pretty much everywhere?
Someone who's done a full loop more recently than me may have better spots but I'm thinking the best places for Pruning are:
- Between Markers 9 and 8 on the C trail (and maybe some spots before that on the way out to 9)
- C trail between Markers 3 and 4 could use more as well. I came down that last night but it was getting dark so i didn't stop much to trim.
Aside from a couple option lines i cleared out last night, nothing was too terrible on Boulderama though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions