Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

xmonger

Hello Guys,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 52 yo male living in Monmouth County. I was very much into cycling (street and mtb) in my younger days. Sadly I gave it up for much of the past 2 decades. Recently I started cycling again and love it. I have several MTB bikes (Specialized, Giant) from the past eras (90's, 00's) but understand that much has changed in the interim. Those bikes would be considered gravel bikes now. I recently picked up a Schwinn Axum and I am trying to get used to the new DH geometry and riding on fat 29's.

Upgrade fever has hit so I have a new air fork and hydraulic brakes waiting to be installed. I also have a dropper post on order. I am also thinking about other next bikes.

I am planning to make the group ride next Sunday 12/11 at Hartshorne. I hope to make some new friends and go riding and learn some new tricks. And by tricks I mean how to be a better and safer rider.

Thanks for looking. I appreciate all the great info this community provides.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I recently picked up a Schwinn Axum
Welcome Axum brother
1000000241.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Came here because my side hustle is dog training and thought you needed help. Like for real. 🐶

Anyway welcome there’s something for everyone in this group you will fit in fine.
I wasn’t sure on the direction of this thread either. Welcome!

Lesson learnt regarding upgrades: at least start with a mid grade build if you’re buying something you plan to upgrade later. Decent components in good repair can almost always be sold off. Entry level stuff sits on a shelf till the dinosaurs come back or the mothership takes us home. Upgrades and learning how to install then can be a very fun (if costly) part of the hobby. There’s plenty of people here waiting to pounce on any bike related question so fire away.
Cheers!

xmonger

I wasn’t sure on the direction of this thread either. Welcome!

Lesson learnt regarding upgrades: at least start with a mid grade build if you’re buying something you plan to upgrade later. Decent components in good repair can almost always be sold off. Entry level stuff sits on a shelf till the dinosaurs come back or the mothership takes us home. Upgrades and learning how to install then can be a very fun (if costly) part of the hobby. There’s plenty of people here waiting to pounce on any bike related question so fire away.
Cheers!
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I knew what I was getting into when I picked up the Axum; basically a good geo frame and some 29 wheels & tires. After the fork and brakes are done the bike will be much more capable than me. My desire is to try to change that as soon as possible and move on to some nicer bikes. I would like a nice FS one day but I think getting a good foundation on a hardtail will be better in the long run for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

xmonger

Fork, headset, pedals, and saddle swapped today.

The fork swap was a first for me. Not too bad of a job if you measure thrice and cut once.

In the box awaiting install; Shimano MT200 Brakes, Shimano Sealed BB, and a Dropper post (which arrived today).

IMG_20221205_161314.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
how to be a better and safer rider.
To get better you ride your bike a lot, get a good feel of the bike and work into the speed. Of course there is a learning curve at any level of riding, which does mean the occasional fall.

At the end of the day its all about having fun, so enjoy yoself first and foremost.

See you at group ride Sunday.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It's a Manitou Markhor 100/120. I am keeping it at 100 for the time being.
At 100, I thought the bike was XCish.... I mean it does have an XC geo
Climbed well and DH isn't bad.
Going 120 will slack it out a tad and maybe more fun going down.
Experiment and see which you prefer.

Did 2 rides with a 100 fork and it was ok.. but gonna try out a 150 fork now lol

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Hello Guys,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 52 yo male living in Monmouth County. I was very much into cycling (street and mtb) in my younger days. Sadly I gave it up for much of the past 2 decades. Recently I started cycling again and love it. I have several MTB bikes (Specialized, Giant) from the past eras (90's, 00's) but understand that much has changed in the interim. Those bikes would be considered gravel bikes now. I recently picked up a Schwinn Axum and I am trying to get used to the new DH geometry and riding on fat 29's.

Upgrade fever has hit so I have a new air fork and hydraulic brakes waiting to be installed. I also have a dropper post on order. I am also thinking about other next bikes.

I am planning to make the group ride next Sunday 12/11 at Hartshorne. I hope to make some new friends and go riding and learn some new tricks. And by tricks I mean how to be a better and safer rider.

Thanks for looking. I appreciate all the great info this community provides.
What time are you planning to start your ride? If the weather cooperates I may have the maiden ride of my new bike there.

Top Bottom