Can We Talk “Single speed”

Strix

I thought I had everything figured out with the drive train I wanted “GX Eagle” And I’m Feeling like Single speed might also be a very good option and even more affordable.

I would like to hear some thoughts on single speed from people that have it, PRO’S / CON’S to get a better feel to see if I’m even right in my feelings.

Strix

They still make single speeds?
1634159285863.png

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
PRO’S / CON’S
Simple, affordable, light weight and you always know what gear you're in.

More demanding on user, especially on climbs, no sit back and soft pedal, you always need to keep cadence up to drive the gear.

If you are going to ride 6Mile and Allaire then SS will work but if you want to ride hills up north with tech you better be really strong and in good shape.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if you have decent base fitness, SS will move you up!
Cause nobody wants to walk.

if not it sucks - for anything more than 6MR and Allaire -
I felt strong riding through CR and Nassau, great workout.
It is hanging on the wall right now. Waiting for the come-back!

Strix

Thanks everyone,

It seems it may work for me but…I’m not gonna Ricks it. But one thing I do know is I don’t need 1x12 but if I don’t go that Route it will be a non boost hub correct?

Ron

For me I find climbing not so much harder as different. You will use more upper body strength. Hardest part of SS that I found are flats and false flats. I founded that I would spin out and burn myself out. Being I am not a sprinter I found holding an Uber high cadence on flats would burn me out.

My SS riding would be Ringwood, Allamuchy, Stephens, Kittatinny.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
SS was fun until it was not.
My knees hate me now after a decade of almost exclusively SSing

Blair

Thanks everyone,

It seems it may work for me but…I’m not gonna Ricks it. But one thing I do know is I don’t need 1x12 but if I don’t go that Route it will be a non boost hub correct?
Try it out, set your bike up in the 32x20 gear and don’t shift. The main weight difference is only the cassette.

Top Bottom