Can we start a company and make bikes like SEs?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The hoopla around the SE bikes is bananas. Anyone that has a teenager knows these things are the hottest thing in bikes and are sometimes worth 2x retail price. We bought a used block flyer for my son in November and sold it today for more than we paid for. (Admittedly I put on new brake pads, pedals and chain, but still.)

I know part of it is relevant brand and marketing, but part is also just this style bike. I saw redline and a few others had wheelie types bikes but the geo was often different (and the brand also doesn't speak to the kids.) Anyhoo let's start a company and make millions please.

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 119

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The hoopla around the SE bikes is bananas. Anyone that has a teenager knows these things are the hottest thing in bikes and are sometimes worth 2x retail price. We bought a used block flyer for my son in November and sold it today for more than we paid for. (Admittedly I put on new brake pads, pedals and chain, but still.)

I know part of it is relevant brand and marketing, but part is also just this style bike. I saw redline and a few others had wheelie types bikes but the geo was often different (and the brand also doesn't speak to the kids.) Anyhoo let's start a company and make millions please.
It is nuts, by the time we got up and running, the trend would be over.

Ian F

I agree it's an interesting idea - but remember a lot of what makes them so popular is that image they've cultivated over the years. Another brand with a similar image, but currently considerably less reach would be Hutch. They are around, but don't seem to have the capital investment to increase/improve the product line as well as offer complete bikes. Personally, I look at the 24" and 26" framesets they're offering and I'm left somewhat unimpressed.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm not so sure. After all these bikes are better all-around bikes than bmx bikes which have been the teenager go-to for 40 yrs. I think we're seeing a sea change.
The trend has been about 5+ years now? The main issue is that they are good for one thing, wheelies. Once people want to do anything else, they move on.

Reactions: don

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The trend has been about 5+ years now? The main issue is that they are good for one thing, wheelies. Once people want to do anything else, they move on.
If they move on from bikes in general thats understood. But what boy is moving onward to a BMX bike? 2%. And onward to mtb or road bike? Maybe another 5% because those are specialized bikes and uncool. The SEs are less specialized than you're making them out to be. They're a fine around town bike and not just for wheelies. They're the new bmx bike as far as I'm concerned.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If they move on from bikes in general thats understood. But what boy is moving onward to a BMX bike? 2%. And onward to mtb or road bike? Maybe another 5% because those are specialized bikes and uncool. The SEs are less specialized than you're making them out to be. They're a fine around town bike and not just for wheelies. They're the new bmx bike as far as I'm concerned.
Idk, your question is about making a business of it. I see the kids at the trails, they either get a 20” or a mtb. More likely a mtb.

I’ll play along, what would you change to make the NJ XC justin bike company cruiser more appealing?

walter

Fourth Party
A few years ago i was looking to buy a So Cal Flyer, they were everywhere, in every color, for retail price. Fast forward 3 years and there is a waiting list a mile long.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Idk, your question is about making a business of it. I see the kids at the trails, they either get a 20” or a mtb. More likely a mtb.

I’ll play along, what would you change to make the NJ XC justin bike company cruiser more appealing?
I think its urban branding as opposed to the racing pedigree of SE. This is not for dirt because if we're being real maybe 10% of kids bikes go offroad. Maxxis hookworms get the job done. But anyway a skate inspired brand that makes bmx and wheelie bikes would slay. Also I've heard SE can't run their business worth a damn and so I'd use an existing partner for distribution.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think its urban branding as opposed to the racing pedigree of SE. This is not for dirt because if we're being real maybe 10% of kids bikes go offroad. Maxxis hookworms get the job done. But anyway a skate inspired brand that makes bmx and wheelie bikes would slay. Also I've heard SE can't run their business worth a damn and so I'd use an existing partner for distribution.
I am willing to bet none of the people buying those bikes knows anything about SE’s history. It would appear that whatever they’ve done thus far that they’ve hit the urban market pretty darn good. Also with all the special edition bikes they come out with like the Philadelphia 76ers one and the Marshawn lynch model, one of my local bike shops mentioned that they were sold before they even hit the floor.
Best bet is probably making an SE knock off that is half the price because these bikes are ridiculously overpriced

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
They're super over-priced and absolutely bottom of the barrel quality and support. It's seriously like paying $1,000 for a Walmart Mongoose but the kids and parents have lost their friggin' minds. Amazing what putting a name on something can do.
Agreed mostly. And I've heard from other shops about the lousy business side. Though 1. They do wheelie much better than a bmx or mtb and 2. Are they really any worse quality than your average bmx bike the kids were riding before? Also there's less pain in dropping the grand on one knowing you'll get it back. But whats an alternative wheelie style bike not made by SE that is better quality? I've researched ones by GT and redline and thought they were similar, though maybe their frame quality and support are better.

walter

Fourth Party
Agreed mostly. And I've heard from other shops about the lousy business side. Though 1. They do wheelie much better than a bmx or mtb and 2. Are they really any worse quality than your average bmx bike the kids were riding before? Also there's less pain in dropping the grand on one knowing you'll get it back. But whats an alternative wheelie style bike not made by SE that is better quality? I've researched ones by GT and redline and thought they were similar, though maybe their frame quality and support are better.
Sunday, Fit, Cult, GT, Haro, Stolen, We The People, Verde, Kink, Subrosa etc all sell big wheel bikes. If your kid is dying for an SE, drop the coin. If not, hes got options.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
S&M makes the covid cruiser, which is probably the best USA made wheelie bike out there.

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Sunday, Fit, Cult, GT, Haro, Stolen, We The People, Verde, Kink, Subrosa etc all sell big wheel bikes. If your kid is dying for an SE, drop the coin. If not, hes got options.
It was never a question for us. Especially since I know I'll get my money back when he's ready to sell again. Drove out to queens to pick up what I think was the last new fat quad in the metro area today. I actually liked his blocks flyer a lot more myself. The fat bike is overkill but he wheelies like a fool on it.

Top Bottom