Can someone please explain to me...

Spylab

...why some parks blaze different trails with different colors, and others (AHEM Mahlon) blaze every freaking trail the same color!?

I have been trying to navigate my way around the north end of M-D the past few trips, and I end up getting to some intersection of the White and the White, upon which taking either path leads me to another intersection of the White and the White. I'm not just posting this to vent; I'm seriously inquisitive what the process is in deciding how to color a trail (thinking of Deer Park, who clearly labels each trail with a different color).

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
...why some parks blaze different trails with different colors, and others (AHEM Mahlon) blaze every freaking trail the same color!?

I have been trying to navigate my way around the north end of M-D the past few trips, and I end up getting to some intersection of the White and the White, upon which taking either path leads me to another intersection of the White and the White. I'm not just posting this to vent; I'm seriously inquisitive what the process is in deciding how to color a trail (thinking of Deer Park, who clearly labels each trail with a different color).

Very good question.

At MD several trails loop around to each other, share stretches of trail, etc...which is where the confusion comes from. I've found that if I follow the blaze patterns (single block keep going straight, two with one higher than the other turn towards the highest, three trail head), I end up where I wanna' go.

Spylab

I've found that if I follow the blaze patterns (single block keep going straight, two with one higher than the other turn towards the highest, three trail head), I end up where I wanna' go.

Problem being, my intention today was to ride up to the Cascade, loop around and pick up Pine Swamp. Unfortunately, when Cascade, Pine Swamp and Boulder trail are identified by white blazes, it can get kind of confusing back there.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Problem being, my intention today was to ride up to the Cascade, loop around and pick up Pine Swamp. Unfortunately, when Cascade, Pine Swamp and Boulder trail are identified by white blazes, it can get kind of confusing back there.

I see what you mean; there are two different ID systems...the blazes and the names.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

When I started riding over to Mahlon I ran into this guy and bought one of his maps. Has come in handy since I dont have a GPS.

http://www.map-maker.net/maps.html

Shaggz

A strong 7
...why some parks blaze different trails with different colors, and others (AHEM Mahlon) blaze every freaking trail the same color!?.
Contact the Morris County Parks Commission and volunteer. The new Trails Foreman, Russ Nee, is a great guy and is very open and receptive to the input from the MTB community.

http://www.morrisparks.net/contacts.asp

Park Commission Headquarters 973-326-7600

Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, Preston Sewell 973-663-0200

D

DANSPANK

And this is simple-Dan's mind at work - could the reason be due to the markers being old and the colour has been bleached-out by the sun?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Nah, I think MD hasn't been getting the same attention as other Morris County Parks. We were actually talking about some of the problems with trail blazing, this past Saturday.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Iron Hill park in maryland is like this. Every 1/2 mile you end up coming to a 3/4/5 way intersection and you can choose red, blue, yellow, blue, or blue. Last time I rode there we spent half of our ride trying to figure out which way to go and the other half trying to find our way back onto a marked trail.

Allaire is pretty bad with markings as well. I know all the good stuff is unmarked, but I guess that's where the problem lies. All of these points I am making to myself are further convincing me to get a garmin soon.

Top Bottom