Can I show you my Green Weenie?

JonF

So i've put about 100 miles on it according to my garmin. From glass smooth trails at allaire and clayton to rooty, lumpy mid-week quickie backyard trails and while it excels on the former, its miserable on the latter. Front end hits rattle your wrists and back end bumps make your feat jostle around on the pedals.

I think I'm at a crossroads here: Do I "hardtail" it by putting a 100mm fork on it or just bite the bullet and go full squish with an XC frame?

I've had a hardtail before and its probably a fine way (and less $$$) to go but something with full sus and juuuuust a slight bit more HA and wheelbase would make it far more capable (and comfortable). The big tradeoff here is weight. The whole name of the game here was counting grams and full sus does pack a non-trivial weight penalty. However, new crop of bikes like the Epic would likely keep the overall build 21-22 lbs. Right now the Green Weenie is at 18.5 with a dropper, larger pedals and riser bar with alloy stem. Adding just a Sid fork to this frame would add 1.5-2 lbs which would put it in the same ballpark as an equally weight conscious Epic Evo (non-brain) build. How can I source a non-S Works Epic frame only?

JonF

I'm weak, I just couldn't resist. I mean, what kind of mountain bike has no front suspension fork? A masochistic, wrist beating, bicycle shaped object, that's what. Of course, even something like a fork is a total PITA to buy right now. It also doesn't help i was trying to find the new hotness in not-blue. Anyways, time to get installing. F*ck, i have having to break these hydraulic lines *again*.

IMG_20201122_155505.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm weak, I just couldn't resist. I mean, what kind of mountain bike has no front suspension fork? A masochistic, wrist beating, bicycle shaped object, that's what. Of course, even something like a fork is a total PITA to buy right now. It also doesn't help i was trying to find the new hotness in not-blue. Anyways, time to get installing. F*ck, i have having to break these hydraulic lines *again*.

View attachment 143913

whatcha gunna do with the old fork ? :)

JonF

Wow, this bike is writing checks my body can't cash!

Installed one of the new ~1300 gram 2020 SID Ultimate SL forks and it is extremely impressive for only 100mm of travel. I had thought about putting the 120mm version on for a little more travel and support, but the Axle to Crown/stack would go up (actually good) but reach would go down (not good) and might not balance well with the rest of the bike. I had concerns that the 32mm stanchions would be too flimsy for my size but it seems both adequate and commensurate for the way i ride the bike.

OTOH, the fork is so good, it inspires me to push it past my comfort zone as the new Charger damper is both supple on the top and supportive down below. Setting sag per RS suggestions, it easily eats up roots and trail chatter while sparing my wrists the pleasure of pain. The added high speed control allowed me to actually push it on the downs and with the overall weight still low, keep the strong pace back up al culminating in even more local PR's. Even the bigger hits get soaked up on a few drops to flat and fast g-outs--so much so i hadn't even pushed the o-ring all the way so there's still some left in reserve. Though at this point im beginning to hit features i would normally reserve for my full sus bike and so i might be pushing this little hardtail too far. -- Said no rider ever.

*bling*

IMG_20201129_132712.jpg

Wish it came in green foil graphics.

IMG_20201127_120800.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom