Can I change from an 8 speed to 9?

mtnbiker7

Right now my dirt jump bike is set up as an 8 speed. I'm going to be racing indy cross next year and I'm upgrading some of my components. I want to switch to a saint rear derailleur and shifter. Can I go from an 8 to a 9 speed with the same frame and wheel?

ArmyOfNone

More likely than not the wheel will accept a 9 speed cassette. Your frame is no worry either.

You will need:
9 speed cassette
9 speed rear shifter
9 speed rear der.

Prob a new cable and housing as well.

Good luck this year!:getsome:

mtnbiker7

More likely than not the wheel will accept a 9 speed cassette. Your frame is no worry either.

You will need:
9 speed cassette
9 speed rear shifter
9 speed rear der.

Prob a new cable and housing as well.

Good luck this year!:getsome:

Thanks alot. I'm already racing in the H2h series and I got second overall this past season. Hopefully I can produce in both series's next year.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Depending on your rear derailleur it may be 9sp compatible.

I wouldn't make the switch just to do it. But if you're cassette/shifter was in need of a replacement you may as well.

-Steve in NJ

grumner80

... a little off topic, but i was thinking of switching up my rear derailleur n shifter over from shimano to sram; i'm currently using the shimano acera with an 8 spd trigger shifter. i was thinking about switching to sram's x-4's and i heard i would need a new cassette, is that true? and if i could stick with my 8spd cassette, is there any better model derailleur sram makes that will work on an 8spd cassette?

mwlikesbikes

If the new shifters you want are 8 speed you can reuse the cassete, but if it's 9 speed you need a cassete too cuz the cogs are closer together.

grumner80

If the new shifters you want are 8 speed you can reuse the cassete, but if it's 9 speed you need a cassete too cuz the cogs are closer together.

yea i was going to get the x-4's, they're 8spd shifters and derailleurs; i just wasnt sure if sram used different spacing than shimano with they're cassettes or not; i know they use the different ratio's with they're shifters and derailleurs, which is why i'm changing the shifter and derailleur, but just wanted to make sure my 8spd shimano cassette will work with them.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why not just go with 9 speed? The chain/cassette are wear items anyway and not expensive that expensive.

-Steve in NJ

grumner80

Why not just go with 9 speed? The chain/cassette are wear items anyway and not expensive that expensive.

-Steve in NJ

i was thinking about it, if it turned out i needed a new cassette to switch to sram the i would deffinately just upgrade completely; but i'm still debating

Top Bottom