Can a tire be deformed by a ride?

serviceguy

So, I've been battling severe rear tire burping during the ride at Cranks this morning. Turns out that when I added some extra Stan's fluid to the tires (ironically, to make sure I would not have the exact problems that I actually had) I inflated both tires at 25 psi. I guess at 220 lbs that's not enough and the original 30 psi are more like.

That said, I did ride with a nearly flat tire on the rocks at Stephen's so looking at my wobbling wheel I wasn't exactly surprised by it. What did surprised me though is that I tried to true the rim on the stands and didn't have to work too much for it (it does help having a scratch on the rim that points exactly where the rim was hit), but now that the rim is straight I realize that the bulk of the wobbling is done by the tire. I'm going to reseat the tire on the rim but I was wondering if a tire can be actually be deformed (it wasn't when it was originally put on the rim) Tire is a 29"x2.3" 3C/EXO/TR Maxxis Minion DHR II.

szymon

It could be damaged casing, I've had it happen on a couple tires but they were usually pretty worn. Check if the tire has a soft spot where the wobble is, if it does the casing is garbage.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are your wheels tubeless specific or ghetto? Also, check the tire all the way around to make sure it's even as it may have not popped onto the bead seat fully. Usually there some kind of line or pattern you can follow along the side to check for consistency. I've had tight beads before where they held air but didn't pop on fully. This is where soapy water during install helps lube the tire to pop onto the bead seat. The Minion is a super burly tire and can be ridden pretty low without destroying it, so I'd be surprised if it's bad.

serviceguy

I reseated the tire and the wobble seems to be exactly in the same spot as before. I guess you could call the setup ghetto as the rim is not specifically tubeless ready (Sun Ringle MTX33) but I didn't have a problem seating the same tire before nor when I tried to reseat it a few minutes ago. I used a compressor and got a nice loud pop out of it.

There's no visible damage on the outside, tomorrow I'll take it out and check the inside but I start thinking that the tire is toast. I may try and salvage it using a tube for a while, not sure if that even makes any sense.

Heavy, tired and unskilled rider Vs flat tire, what could possibly go wrong? At least now I know where my tire pressure sweet spot is...solid rubber tires!

Thanks for the input.

jklett

I had an ardent do that, I took a video and contacted maxxis and they replaced it. Mine was only a few months old when it happened but it wasn't damaged riding. I popped the bead to check the fluid and when I reseated it there was a major wobble.

BPaze

So, I've been battling severe rear tire burping during the ride at Cranks this morning. Turns out that when I added some extra Stan's fluid to the tires (ironically, to make sure I would not have the exact problems that I actually had) I inflated both tires at 25 psi. I guess at 220 lbs that's not enough and the original 30 psi are more like.

That said, I did ride with a nearly flat tire on the rocks at Stephen's so looking at my wobbling wheel I wasn't exactly surprised by it. What did surprised me though is that I tried to true the rim on the stands and didn't have to work too much for it (it does help having a scratch on the rim that points exactly where the rim was hit), but now that the rim is straight I realize that the bulk of the wobbling is done by the tire. I'm going to reseat the tire on the rim but I was wondering if a tire can be actually be deformed (it wasn't when it was originally put on the rim) Tire is a 29"x2.3" 3C/EXO/TR Maxxis Minion DHR II.
I weigh as much or more and ride lower psi 20-24 rear and 18-20 front, sounds like it could be a bad tire contact Maxxis

sundaydoug

I had an ardent do that, I took a video and contacted maxxis and they replaced it. Mine was only a few months old when it happened but it wasn't damaged riding. I popped the bead to check the fluid and when I reseated it there was a major wobble.

Same here, I had a few High Roller II's with similar issues. Tire wobble with a straight rim and beads fully seated. Maxxis is really good about taking care of stuff like this, it happens from time to time

serviceguy

I contacted Maxxis. We'll see what happens, new bought tire is being delivered today anyway. At least I used the discount from WorldWideCyclery...

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I’ve had it happen to 2 fat/4.80 Maxxis Minion tires, both were RMA’d. The interesting point was they were in the garage on the rack when they blew. They were mounted to tubeless specific rims with name brand tape and running Stan’s original, not race. Maxxis replied with “bead failure” and sent a new one. It took a few weeks but was worth it.

Top Bottom