Campmor H2H change in classes

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Ladies,

I am happy to announce some additions and changes in women's race classes for 2009. Beginner, Sport and Expert will be replaced with Cat 3, Cat 2 & Cat 1. Pro women will be combined with Cat 1 open, but have options to race up with the men.

Classes will be as follows:

The old beginner class:
Cat 3 12-18
Cat 3 19-39
Cat 3 40+

The old sport class:
Cat 2 12-18 (new)
Cat 2 19-39
Cat 2 40+

The old expert and pro class:
Pro/Cat 1 open (new)
Cat 1 40+

There will be the same amount of prizing available to women as always, but will allow for more flexibility and challenge at the higher level. Women will be permitted to race in their age class with the men also. Women who race single speed can either race in their age class or race with the men. Pro women will be permitted to race with the Pro/1 open men or Cat 1 men in their age class. Master women can race with pro/open women for higher pay out.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
No more separate SS classes?

Oops, I just noticed which forum this is in.

Last edited:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
So much for my racing career. :rolleyes:

You mean there's a good chance I'll be racing against someone 10 years younger than me, and god forbid if you're a 39 y/o...you might be racing against a teenager?

No break downs in a 10 or 20 year span?

Last edited:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
er, thanks, Ben...:eek:

Still seems like a wide stretch but not too far removed from the current status quo.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe there are more women's classes then there were, correct?

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Ladies,

I am happy to announce some additions and changes in women's race classes for 2009. Beginner, Sport and Expert will be replaced with Cat 3, Cat 2 & Cat 1. Pro women will be combined with Cat 1 open, but have options to race up with the men.

Classes will be as follows:

The old beginner class:
Cat 3 12-18
Cat 3 19-39
Cat 3 40+

The old sport class:
Cat 2 12-18 (new)
Cat 2 19-39
Cat 2 40+

The old expert and pro class:
Pro/Cat 1 open (new)
Cat 1 40+

There will be the same amount of prizing available to women as always, but will allow for more flexibility and challenge at the higher level. Women will be permitted to race in their age class with the men also. Women who race single speed can either race in their age class or race with the men. Pro women will be permitted to race with the Pro/1 open men or Cat 1 men in their age class. Master women can race with pro/open women for higher pay out.

It's a good idea Pix. It will give older riders (not to mention any names) more of a chance to place and hopefully bring newer riders to the sport of blood, sweat and gears (unless your a SS like ChrisG) :D :Edit: After posting I read what the guys were writing, last year the Women's 19-34 Beginner and Sport classes had way fewer riders than the 35+ class. I also know that age is not a significant factor in MTB racing.

RC ... :)

Last edited:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The Pro/Cat 1 open was something that the NORBA board hoped would happen in the local and regional races- basically, it lets former semipros and fast Cat 1's race for the big money at the local/regional races and not beat up on their Cat 1 age groups while still letting them compete where they should be at the Nationals. Mr Pixy was a good example of that last year- he wanted to be more competitive, but to do that had to enter semipro class so he could step up at the local races, then at Nationals raced against a field where the average age of his competition was two decades younger.

The other benefit of the Cat 1/Open class is that it allows former semi-pros to slide into Cat 1 and pay the $60 amateur license fee (rather than the $150 pro license) while still racing at the top level at the local races.

Glad to see that the H2H promoters have decided to go this way.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Thanks Jamie for explaining that so well.

Although these slight changes were brought about because of a need for change in the mens classes, these changes can also benefit women as well. We are such a small class in terms of numbers, but still bridge the the same spread of levels and ages as the men. It is very dificult to create a fair and encouraging set of classes and still offer the maximum competition in the form of numbers and level. This flexibilty will allow each women to choose what is best for her.

For anyone looking to race for a National Champion title this year in Colorado, USCycling has made some changes in the age classes as well. It looks like Cat 1 women and Cat 1 50 and 60 men will be in 10 year increments instead of 5 year, as previously.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
USCycling has made some changes in the age classes as well. It looks like Cat 1 women and Cat 1 50 and 60 men will be in 10 year increments instead of 5 year, as previously.

The board decided on Wednesday not to implement that change this year, and to stick with 5 year increments, because we haven't properly conveyed the logic behind it to the membership and were getting a lot of negative feedback about it. Look out for some listening sessions over the coming year as we work on that issue for 2010.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about it, Ellen? The biggest proponents on the NORBA board of the 10 year splits were those over 50 (there are three board members over 50), ironically enough. But some of the racers affected by the change were pretty upset about it...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Thanks Jamie for explaining that so well.

For anyone looking to race for a National Champion title this year in Colorado, USCycling has made some changes in the age classes as well. It looks like Cat 1 women and Cat 1 50 and 60 men will be in 10 year increments instead of 5 year, as previously.

Hiya Pix!:D

Has there been any talk with regards to the Cat 2 Women's age brackets?

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Hiya Pix!:D

Has there been any talk with regards to the Cat 2 Women's age brackets?

On the National Championship age group notice that I saw, which Jamie says was decided against, age groups for sport were the same as last year.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about it, Ellen? The biggest proponents on the NORBA board of the 10 year splits were those over 50 (there are three board members over 50), ironically enough. But some of the racers affected by the change were pretty upset about it...

I have no problem myself racing in a 10 year class, but when I am 63, I may not feel the same way about racing the 50+ class.

What I don't understand is the purpose of changing them. In a series or training competition, I can see making fewer age groups so there will be enough people to race and a higher level of competition. But the future of pro racing is not in the 50+ class, so why not recognize them for what they are.

The National Championship title is the one race all year long where the masters are recognized for their age. I see no benefit to change some to 10 year. God bless the expert men out there racing in their mid 70's. They are heroes in my mind and should not be lost in the 60 year old class.

Men and women should be given an equal opportunity. It is not the fault of the women out there racing that there are not 30 in their class. It is difficult to get women and juniors out there racing. Why give them half the chance to win? 5 year age groups all across the board is an inclusive gesture to invite more in and to encourage the not so sure Cat 2 master to make the jump to Cat 1.

Top Bottom