Camping/biking with the kid - Lehigh Gorge/Jim Thorpe

Rusty

Just booked a trip to the Lehigh Gorge/Hickory Run State Park with just me and my 12 year old (turns 12 in early Sept)....Sept 5th-8th

The plan is to camp at Hickory Run State Park (been there before, nice place) and we'll be using one of the shuttle services out of Jim Thorpe to try out some trails.

First, Fri we'll do the entire 25 mile Lehigh Gorge trail all the way through the gorge...I think he can handle the distance since it's 2% grade down the whole way. Pretty sure we can knock that out with a lunch break and plenty of picture taking in about 3.5-4 hours.

Saturday I think we'll use the same service to take us to top of the Switchback trail and take that in the one-way down direction as well.

Thinking this won't discourage him, as he is a beginner, I plan to then bring him to Trexler and try our hand at that park on the way home on Sunday.

Mixed in will be lots of camp downtime, fishing and a short hike or two depending on what we feel like doing. First time I am taking only one of my 3 kids and he is the youngest so I am totally psyched for this trip.

Anyone familiar with my destination rides and want to pipe in with some advice and counsel - or recommendations? trying to keep it very easy and fun for the little guy.

Molasses

Sounds good but what surface is the 25 miler? Gravel- might make it slow with few bail out options. Never done this ride myself but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Molasses

Raystown might be a good option as well- the loops are more "mountain biking" and manageable from distance perspective... The camping is pretty easy as well.

Ian F

The 25 miler is all gravel. Pretty easy. Not much to look at and kinda boring, although I've only done the section from the train station in town up to Rt 93 on our way to Broad Mtn.

The Switchback trail quality depends on maintenance. It's mostly smooth, but there are a few bumpy sections. It occasionally gets some downed trees. There is a neat cave near the top to check out. I led a ride there with a boy scout troop for a friend of mine and it was right after a storm and we didn't get very far before the downed trees turned us back. I think the local trail crews keep it clear, but it's been awhile since I've ridden there.

Broad Mtn is another option. Some sections get a little rocky, but for the most part it's a wide double track. Drive to the top or Rt 93 and ride from there. Some stream crossings to get wet in and a very nice overlook. The last time I was there I saw a couple of large (like 6' long and 4" dia) rattlesnakes, which was pretty cool.

Rusty

Raystown might be a good option as well- the loops are more "mountain biking" and manageable from distance perspective... The camping is pretty easy as well.

well, been to Raystown and while non technical, he isn't up for that level of climbing yet. oh, and the 25 miler they rent hybrids to total newbs for, so that one should we be fine.... Thanks all for the input!

Last edited:

Molasses

More posting as I am in the same boat with kids, trying to expose them to biking without the drama... Nox is a great place as well, although the trail with the gnome home (cute for kids) is on the rockiest trail. Too rocky for ~10 year old beginners... However, some great loops without hills, the rock bridges, and g-outs may be initimidating but also may be great confidence boosters. There is a campground near-by but cannot comment on it. Good news it is only an hour drive.

Molasses

Sorry- last post, but 6 mile orange trail (Rt 27 side) would be a blast out and back for both my kids- hoping the rain holds off for next week to do that, pool is closed and we are in a holding pattern for school to start until the following week.

Rusty

Wait... No Minecraft for 3 days?!?!

:D

Have fun man.

HE specifically requested campsite without power...so yeah, no minecraft, lol

and yeah, going to take him to 6mr for a little fun before we go I think....

Rusty

Couple of notes. Trip was great.

Trexler is fun as hell and would be even funner if my boy had some better grasp of his braking. He survived the road rash like a boss tho.... This place requires skills even though the trails are largely non technical. It's fast , swoopy and lots of opportunities for air time....sometimes it'll sneak up on you...punchy ups and downs but nothing too hard. Just enough trail to make the trip off the highway worthwhile...fun. Bring extra tubes and be self sufficient (not a porto san in sight)....probably a bit far for a NJ to Trexler day trip, but on the way to or from Jim Thorpe, it's totally worth it.

Camping in Hickory Run always good, but man, it got to 39 degrees on thurs and fri night - cold!...sat was warmer....days were perfect. White Haven Diner is the best Diner left in America...a real classic....

The rail trail thing in the Lehigh Gorge (we did a 10 mile section from White Haven to Rockport) is family friendly, pretty and boring. We banged it out and had an hour to spare to tool around waiting for the shuttle back. Shuttle was great but $47 bucks for the two of us on a Saturday....We could/should have done the whole haul all the way to Jim Thorpe...I think we did the more boring half, but there were good views here and there.

Top Bottom