Camp grounds in Stephens

JerseyPete

Has anyone camped there? I may take my 8 year old and some of his buddies there. Anyone been there and can say good/bad/ugly?
Thanks.

Never actually camped there, but drive past it weekly. Sites look to nice from the road, but then again....I can see them from the road. There may be more sites further back that I am not aware of.

The good thing is that you can ride right from the campsite to the trailhead into Stephens SP.

Someone else may have actual experience.

did you ever go? i nhad the same idea drove up there a couple weeks ago but it is closed till April 1

did you ever go? i nhad the same idea drove up there a couple weeks ago but it is closed till April 1

No, we did Waywayanda with some others and had a good time. Maybe Stephens this year. I can see doing a Waywayanda camp out for riders only and hitting the trails.

I spent 2 nights here a few years ago. It's a nice place and awesome since you can ride from the camp to the trail head at SSP. Sites are basic...picnic table, fire ring, grass. There is a bathroom facility but I don't remember showers. It's different from Waway as it has multiple sites and that are somewhat private where Wayway has 3 or 4 group sites.

Oh and there are bears....

I spent 2 nights here a few years ago. It's a nice place and awesome since you can ride from the camp to the trail head at SSP. Sites are basic...picnic table, fire ring, grass. There is a bathroom facility but I don't remember showers. It's different from Waway as it has multiple sites and that are somewhat private where Wayway has 3 or 4 group sites.

I think there are showers. There are some pretty private sites. Great fly fishing to boot. Also helps to have ride guide eh eric....

So happens I just walked through there with the kids last week. There's a lot of work being done. Also a lot of trees down to be cleaned. The campsites are nice--It's a pretty area,bathrooms, a small playground,and taking the stairs will lead you right to the bridge at the river. I'm sure it will be great this season. We may take the kids there ourselves.

You are correct about the single sites vs Waywayanda's multiple sites. Waywayanda has three sites with a minimum of 7 people and max of 15, 25 and 35. Prices vary accordingly. I recall Stephen's was a flat rate of $20 last year and it looked pretty good. I will try to get there this year for sure.

There are bears in Waywayanda, so much so the rangers made it a point to make sure I was well aware of it. I guess after the incident at Stokes, they didn't want a repeat there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions