Caller ID tricks steal your infor!

NJ Jess

Caller I.D. tricks

Caller I.D.’s a great technology that lets you know who’s on the phone before you pick up. But is it always truthful? Not necessarily.

According to the Associated Press, hackers have gotten into the system. And they can make somebody else’s name or number show up on your phone. It’s called “spoofing” – and it can be dangerous.

For example, a spoofer could pretend to be your bank or credit card company, and ask for your PIN number or password. Or a spoofer could pretend to be your cell phone company, so they can get the code for your voicemail box and listen to your messages.

So what can you do about it?

Be suspicious! Never give out sensitive information to anyone who calls. Remember - your bank, credit card company, and utility providers already have your information in their computer. So, why would they need to callyou to get it?

I copied this from another board. It's scary what criminals will do to get your information. Keep yourself informed.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this actually happened to me. i got a call from what i thought was one of my buddies. it turned out to be some sketchy bank. i thought it was weird at the time. thanks for the heads up.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Good tip Jess! I can see how that spoofed caller ID might trip up some folks.

Personally I never ever give out personal information on the phone if I did not initiate the call. If I called, then I will.

I simply state: "I'm sorry, I don't do business on the phone. Thanks for the call". Click.

And this includes the dudes from the Police, Fire etc. I get mailings from them and would rather donate that way.

I've been getting a lot more Out of Area calls over the past month or so... guess I need to re-list my number on the "Do not call" list.

Top Bottom