buy new car lately?

THATmanMANNY

Have you purchased a new car recently? I'm wondering with this downturn of the economy how much under MSRP are you getting the car for and what car? That way I can go into the dealer and gauge my bargaining chips.

I'm in the market for a more fuel economic vehicle or my dreamy S2000 :drooling:. We shall see... I'm looking at new or a used cars but 06' and above. Considering some suby's and some small SUV's

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
There's no question the power is in your court right now. One angle is to ask what dealer cost is and offer to pay that. Dealers make a dealer incentive anyway.

I love my Subie! If it (an Outback) got slightly better mileage and pickup, I'd never imagine something else. '07 lease return with 17k mi scored for 6 grand under 08 cost. There's always a deal out there.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
american cars you can get a deal on, but i dont think imported cars are going to budge much.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can definetly get some awesome deals. My buddy just bought a tahoe and got about $15k off the sticker.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I only wish my GF's outback was as reliable as my saturn, im getting sick of fixing it.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I recently bought a Rav4 with the V6 (its mileage is similar to the 4 cylinder, and the performance boost is ridiculous). For its size, it gets great mileage (21-22 mpg mixed driving), has a decent amount of space for me and the fam, is super comfortable, and is an absolute rocket ship for a small SUV (0 to 60 in about 6 seconds). I got a really good deal on it, too. Paid close to dealer cost.

All auto dealers - American and foreign - are feeling the effects of the downturn. I just heard on NPR that the German automakers are taking December off since their orders for new vehicles are the lowest they've been in like 12 years. And when was the last time that Toyota had to offer 0% financing and/or cash back? The auto industry is running scared right now - take advantage if you can.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe Toyota sales were down 33% in November. They also lost their "A" credit rating. It's not just American car manufacturers.

rlb

This is a pretty good strategy for buying a new car (though I haven't used it yet....this is based on past research). Go to insideline.com and look up the invoice price for any brand new car you're interested in. You should set your price cap for that vehicle around the invoice price, given the current state of the economy. You can probably get a decent price below invoice w/ all incentives going on now. Test drive whatever you're interested in then go home, don't try to negotiate in person despite the immense pressure you'll be under. Deal w/ the internet sales manager via email for several local dealers selling the car you want. Let them know you're shopping around for the best price. Get an OTD (out the door; including all taxes, fees etc) quote, go with the dealer that gives you the best deal. Show up to buy your car from the internet dude. If they try to pull any last minute BS (ie charge you more than the OTD quote they gave you) tell them to get lost, and go to one of the other places you dealt with.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I believe Toyota sales were down 33% in November. They also lost their "A" credit rating. It's not just American car manufacturers.

I agree to agree with Norm on this one, and not just to stay out of the box and off the heap, either. Of course, that's an added bonus. Unless Norm doesn't think its a bonus, in which case neither do I.

Norm - is it better to be loved or feared?

walter

Fourth Party
My wife bought a brand new Chevy Malibu in the beginning of October. It was her favorite of all the cars we tested, import and domestic. She's not a speed freak and is more concerned about fuel economy so she got the 4 cyl. Really a nice car, almost like this was GM's last hoorah.

I can't comment on haggling/price negotiations, my father was an auto worker so I pay a set price. However there are tons of incentives and other stuff out there, make sure you check manufacturers websites for everything they are offering.

gtluke

The Moped
go buy a saturn astra 5 door, that car is awesome and they are running sales on them.
its the best selling car in europe right now, though europeans don't buy japanese cars really at all.

I'd totally go get one if I didn't want to ruin my record of having my bicycle as my most expensive vehicle :D

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
iwish i waited till now to buy my civic si. oh well, i have less than 2 years left on the payments so its all good.

I have a 07 Civic Ci Sedan that i bought 1 year ago. I love it. Not exactly civic-like in gas, but that may have something to do with my foot problems and 8000 RPM...

Maurice

go buy a saturn astra 5 door, that car is awesome and they are running sales on them.
its the best selling car in europe right now, though europeans don't buy japanese cars really at all.

I'd totally go get one if I didn't want to ruin my record of having my bicycle as my most expensive vehicle :D

Ah, not bad. Right now I'm scraping up 6 more grand for an '09 WRX. Test drove one, 1 word: @#$%^!

mandi

I actually just had a new 2009 Mini Cooper S built, it should be here in the next 3 weeks. Lets just say bmw is not having problems, because they wouldn't budge on price AT ALL. They weren't even lowering prices on the used ones that I was looking at. Good luck on your search!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I actually just had a new 2009 Mini Cooper S built, it should be here in the next 3 weeks. Lets just say bmw is not having problems, because they wouldn't budge on price AT ALL. They weren't even lowering prices on the used ones that I was looking at. Good luck on your search!

Mini is one of the only makes whose sales are up. I've been looking, but he prices are rediculous. BMW itself is offering 0 and .9% financing which is unheard of.

Top Bottom