buy new car lately?

gtluke

The Moped
Snow tires is definitely key, I use them on my 4wd car even still.

here's reason #1 why I'd never own an audi, this is the timing belt job on my friend's car.
F THAT!
I did the timing belt on my hyundai in 25 minutes :D
my GVR4 takes like an hour and a half but its nowhere near this mess. Subaru's must be almost as annoying since they use the same engine/trans configuration.

IMG_0365_001.sized.jpg

mfennell

here's reason #1 why I'd never own an audi, this is the timing belt job on my friend's car.
From what I hear, if he asks for help with his clutch, you would do better to just give up on the friendship. :)

I once did a head gasket on my dad's old MR2 Turbo. IIRC, book labor was something insane like 14 hours.

34_mr2_engine.JPG

Now back to Manny's regularly scheduled car purchase thread.

THATmanMANNY

...If you have a 2nd vehicle, why not get something impractical and stupid then? :)
Well, I thought 15mpg is very impractical, no?
What you classify as impractical?
There may be other drivers to use this vehicle time to time. So it has to be practical and reliable. Ya know.

Last edited:
G

Greenman

Stopped at the dealer today to check out some subys. I was quite impressed by the new model. Compared to the previous boxier and wagon type model the 09' is roomier for passengers and cargo. Panaramic moonroof. More ground clearance. Great controls on console. 5 star safety all around. & been youtubing all the demonstrations of the car im quite impressed by the traction control and the cars capabilities. I'll probably test drive one tomorrow.

I've owned the 02 wrx (it was my first car & i've always wanted a suby again); the new impreza's are nice but the forester will provide much more utility (altho the impreza outback sport isn't bad and it will save me some cash). The outback is too well... old for me :D. And I don't need the wrx's or sti's or the amped up engines from suby. I have better plans ;)

Or I can save some caaaash mooooney and go with the Honda Fit hehe. I'm looking for car with utility. The fit will do just fine but it doesn't have TC standard, or AWD of course and it's not tough like rock. The forester seems like it can only be taken advantage of when there is snow (which nj is getting less and less of) and seems to be just a little over the top for NJ. they are two different class cars but :hmmm: which one... Plus, I will still have my Titan :getsome:

Thoughts?

Sorry, but ya'll have been invited to my quest to finding a new car. :D
It gives me support to actually seal the deal on a car. Cause i don't need it but i want it sorta thing.

I have my 08 Subie WRX for almost a year now. Besides having some suspension changes made to the car to make it a little more to my likeing, I haven't had any issues.

I know you are not looking into the WRX, but I'm sure holds true for the rest of the Subie line up, is you get a little more for your money with the subie.
Though to be honest, Subaru has gotten better with their interior, but not on par with say Volkswagon.

I was looking for a replacement for my 01 GTI, mostly for convienence and safety reasons, since we have a 2 year old. I looked into a new GTI, but found the Subaru winning out. Plus Volkswagon had a 3 month wait time for a ordered car, while Subie had 3 week wait time.

MTB Aussie

Where to begin!!

First, my wife loves her Subu Forrester 07 (LL Bean even) and I hope we'll pick up another when the lease is up next year. The 4WD works nice on slick stuff, way better than my Element which I once looked under the car to see if there were drive shafts connected to the rear wheels (there was).

I 've only had it a few days but my new Ridgeline is awesome. It's not actually new it was used with 15k miles on it, probably a repo judging by the finance doc I found in the glove compartment that showed a loan for 10.5%. Anyway my point here is there are a ton of used cars on the market and the dealers are giving them away, especially the gas guzzlers.

Do what the others said and use the internet. There is a good site autotrader.com which shows retail on used and new for actual listed vehicles. I used this to narrow down the lowest prices and then called and emailed some dealers with even lower offers. One guy made me a high counter offer which I laughed at, he kept emailing me every couple of days after my laughter subsided with a lower offer, eventually offering me what I offered him, but a day after I bought elsewhere.:cry:

Also, go on ebay and find a bunch of cars that are what you are looking for and watch them until they end to see if they sell and for what price. If you are going used pay for a month of carfax ($40) so you can check them out. Other than damage or other problems carfax shows you how long a dealer has been offering the car for sale, and the longer they have had it the lower you can offer them since they are getting desperate to move them - they depreciate just sitting still.

And whoever said they drive RWD BMW's I am with you on that - one of the best snow drivers I had was my 540! Real snow tires make such a difference and with stability and traction control they give the computer something to work with.

mfennell

Well, I thought 15mpg is very impractical, no?
What you classify as impractical?
There may be other drivers to use this vehicle time to time. So it has to be practical and reliable. Ya know.
I see your point. Impractical generally means "2 seat sports car" to me. Something you wouldn't drive in the snow or carry a bike with since you have that covered.

But that's me. YMMV. :)

PatrickBrown

F THAT!

IMG_0365_001.sized.jpg

I hope to god that all of that wasnt disassembled for just a timing belt/waterpump job. in all honesty its a decent sized job but someone who knows them can do that job in 4-5 hours tops. yes the dealers charge a million but its not really the case

Pat

lmckee

Or I can save some caaaash mooooney and go with the Honda Fit hehe. I'm looking for car with utility.

I drive an 07'. I definitely recommend the fit. Any car that will handle 3 mtb's with just the front wheels off in the back all while getting 35+ mpg is good in my book. With my roof rack on and 2 trays I can very comfortably haul three bikes, three large adults, and all the needed gear.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was wondering how this one was gonna go knowing that pat works on for audi.

oh, hi pat!

gtluke

The Moped
Hey now, just because I don't work for Audi doesn't mean I don't work on Audi's
Er, did. Stupid Camry put an end to me ever doing manual labor ever again.
Here's me and one of them. Wow this is old, 2004-02-01

this block is where the term "mad hatter" was coined
436105750_NSTHt-XL.jpg

Last edited:

dualfisted

jus got an 08 Jeep Liberty

I'm pretty stoked on the car (small suv). It's relatively basic, but has "real" 4wd with lo-range gearing incase I feel like getting a bit lost, or for trips to the mountain to go boarding. Plenty of room for my 6'6" carcass. It gets about 21mpg hwy, so nothing great, but really cool lookin for a small suv, like a small Jeep Commander. 24g msrp, easy 18g out the door(well under dealer invoice). Year end clearance, dealer incentives and such, jump on it, u can steal a car from an american car co. now. Also, do yer research ahead of time and go test drive yer options, but goto the dealer u want to buy from about an hour before they close, u may be there late doing paperwork and such, but u will get them to their lowest price far quicker. I did this by mistake, was there til midnight, but that was all paperwork related, I had them super low, super fast.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Hey now, just because I don't work for Audi doesn't mean I don't work on Audi's
Er, did. Stupid Camry put an end to me ever doing manual labor ever again.
Here's me and one of them. Wow this is old, 2004-02-01

this block is where the term "mad hatter" was coined
436105750_NSTHt-XL.jpg

S4 - nice ride! I had an '01 S4, super fun to drive. It had one minor problem though; it had this annoying feature of loaning itself to others without my knowledge. This wouldn't have bothered me so much, except that the fine person that borrowed it left it in Newark, smashed into the stone wall outside a church with $24k worth of damage (and, of course, the Xenon lamps missing). Insurance elected to have it repaired, rather than totaled. Car was never the same - sold it shortly there after.

Cyclopath - took your advice on the sig.

Top Bottom